Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:rolleyes:I was wondering if anyone experienced the same as I am with respect to my stitches. My large (port) incision is healing nicely (from what i'm told) but the end stitch is annoying me to death. It feels like a stray hair that you just need to pluck .

it is only that one end stitch -- I know i sound maniacal but oh man - do i want to pull it.

my question is has anyone else had this annoyance and does it eventually go somewhere or melt or something?

didn't want to call the surgeon to ask that little question. My first fill is 9/18! Can't wait.

/nilsa

Miss Nilsa, Yes! I thought it was just me... Mine sometimes pokes through a thin shirt. I want to pull mine so bad, but I have this picture like a hem in your shirt you know... everything just coming un-wound! LOL I have a Dr. apt on Friday and I will ask... :eek:

Miss Nilsa, Yes! I thought it was just me... Mine sometimes pokes through a thin shirt. I want to pull mine so bad, but I have this picture like a hem in your shirt you know... everything just coming un-wound! LOL I have a Dr. apt on Friday and I will ask... :eek:

oh my god. I wish i had the nerve to pull it out! let me know what your doctor says!!! thanks for responding.

I had a breast biopsy several years ago and had a stitch like that on 1 end. I tried to pull it. It wouldn't come out and now that end of my scar is bumped up and is still red. Leave it be.

Hi there,

I was banded 8-16. I have two stiches sticking out. Both in different scars/incision areas. Saw surgeon yesterday for post op. He said it is the end of the dissolvable stiches that are on the inside. Once they fully dissolve these can be pulled right out. He said to check them every couple days and I can remove it myself when it finally comes lose. Already then!

Best advice - leave the stitch alone! Wish I had listened to that advice. I played with it steady to the point that the incision is slightly reddened and had some superficial infection - Yesterday morning the stitch has gone. It has dissolved and the external part has fallen off sometime during thenight. Generally at the 2 week post-op check, the stitch will be removed if it is still there. Trust me to have it gone before it's time - luckily I am not concerned with the state of the incision - I have a strong medical background and am comfortable with where it is in the process.

Well ladies, I don't have that problem, but I am a nurse, and sometime when the doctor puts in these dissolvable sutures, the ends may no dissolve. Usually like was said, the other part will dissolve and then you can pull it, but if it is really bothering you, it can be cut off. I would prefer your surgeon do it, but he might say its OK for you to do it after he gets to look at it. Good Luck on your journey. I was banded 8/29/07 and doing great.

I was so shocked when I read this thread because I have that end piece sticking out too. I thought the doctor made a mistake and he left some fishing line in me - my husband calls it cat gut. I am shocked that others have this too. I think I will leave it alone and see what happens.

thanks,

shelli

Hi. I was banded 8/29 and yeap I have a little sting sticking out too! Thanks for the advice...I'll leave it alone!

I had the exact same thing, when I went to my one week follow up appointment, my doctor got something that looked like tweezers and just pulled it out. But I would let your doctor pull it out. But it really is not a big deal, just annoying. my Doctor did tell me that she was trying to figure out a different way to put the stitches, so that doesn't happen. I only had one thank God, cause that would drive me Freakin nuts too. Good luck!

I had the exact same thing, when I went to my one week follow up appointment, my doctor got something that looked like tweezers and just pulled it out. But I would let your doctor pull it out. But it really is not a big deal, just annoying. my Doctor did tell me that she was trying to figure out a different way to put the stitches, so that doesn't happen. I only had one thank God, cause that would drive me Freakin nuts too. Good luck!

did it hurt when he pulled it! oh no. i rather a snip than a pull

Well ladies, I don't have that problem, but I am a nurse, and sometime when the doctor puts in these dissolvable sutures, the ends may no dissolve. Usually like was said, the other part will dissolve and then you can pull it, but if it is really bothering you, it can be cut off. I would prefer your surgeon do it, but he might say its OK for you to do it after he gets to look at it. Good Luck on your journey. I was banded 8/29/07 and doing great.

thanks a lot! good advice from someone who knows

No It didn't hurt at all. But it has a loop, so they really need to pull it out, that way you won't tear it open. When I had mine, I was scared for her to pull it out, and she is the one who noticed it and said she wanted to take it out, and I told her NO IT CAN STAY!!! I was being a big baby. But no it really didn't hurt maybe a little pinch.