Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has made it to normal BMI?

I'm one year out from surgery and couldn't be more thrilled with my progress. I've lost 110 pounds and my BMI is now about 28. I had an interesting conversation with my surgeon at my one-year follow-up. I asked if he had a goal for me and said I don't feel overweight anymore.

He said my goal is really up to me and that most people continue to lose a little more until they reach the 18-month mark after RNY GB. He also warned about the bounce that comes around year two or so. He said I probably don't feel overweight anymore because I'm not really overweight for an American. Apparently, in the U.S., the average BMI is now about 28 or so. People under the 25 BMI range look extra thin to us.

I am going to try to lose a bit more so that if I bounce, hopefully I'll bounce to where I am now. The weight is still coming off very slowly, but steadily, so I'm not worried.

I'm just curious, how many of you actually made it to the normal BMI range? Is that when people started saying you were too thin?

I'm six lbs away and feel pretty "bony" - but I'll keep going as long as my body wants to keep going (I will not take drastic measures, though, as it'll just come back on if I do that). My surgeon said often people who have been super morbidly obese (like I was - over 300 lbs) have pretty dense bones, so that could account for some of the excess. Plus there's the extra skin - although from what I understand, that often weighs much less than what people would think - 5 lbs or so (although it depends on how much you have)

a friend of mine who has a BMI of 27 (a bit higher than mine - but she's never had weight loss surgery) asked her doctor if she should lose weight. He said with older patients (she's 60), a BMI in the 23-27 range seems to be optimal, so he told her not to worry about it. I'm *almost* that age, so...

I did check one BMI site that also gave percentiles. My percentile, even though I'm slightly overweight, is 44%. Meaning 56% of Americans have a higher BMI than I do. I don't know how reliable this site is, but given the huge percentage of overweight and obese people in the US, I wasn't all that surprised.

@@catwoman7 That sounds interesting. Would you mind linking to the site? I'm curious.

I had sleeve just over a year ago and at my one year my surgeon said they don't really go by BMI that they prefer to go by percentage of body fat. For me the top range of normal was 33% and I was right at that mark. I am still planning on losing about 25 more pounds so that I hit my personal goal weight and have about a safe 5 pound bounce range.

Me..... im at 23.8 right at Healthy. I'm 5'2" SW 230.... CW 125-130

I am 3 years post-op RNY surgery. My weight fell into the normal BMI category. This is my approach in the Maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I am still about 8lbs until "normal" weight per BMI (that would be 164lbs). I actually set my original goal at 185, which was lower than my doctor thought I would get (he doesn't set goals, but said he could see me being around 200lbs).

I also thought that I would never be at a "normal" BMI as I don't really buy in 100% to BMI as it's not designed for the individual, but for large averages. I decided that I would focus more on my Body Fat %. So once I hit 185lbs, I went and had a DEXA scan done, which told me that my BF % was 26.5% - above the normal range. I did a little back-of-the-napkin math and I think I will probably get to a "normal" BF% right about the same time I'm at a "normal" BMI, so I guess for me, BMI is actually very accurate. YMMV.

On another interesting note, I found a site that tries to predict your BF % based on your BMI. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, I put in my gender, age, and BMI exactly as it was the day I had my DEXA scan. The online tool predicted I had a BF% of 26.7%. Holy crap! That's outrageously close to the 26.5% the DEXA scan returned.

Anyway, everyone is different, but for me, as it turns out, BMI seems to be incredibly accurate. Obviously, if I bulk up muscle, etc that will be less so, but for now I must have a pretty typical body composition.

If you are interested in the online BF % calculator based on BMI, it can be found here: http://healthiack.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator

@ That is really cool to know. The closer I get to normal BMI, the more accurate it seems FOR ME. What my surgeon said makes perfect sense. I don't feel overweight anymore because most Americans carry some extra weight. I can see where some additional pounds could come off my stomach and thighs. Once that's gone, I wouldn't think I'd have much extra to lose and I'd be in normal BMI range. I'm working out like a normal person, but not a "bari-athlete," so I bet the body fat percentage predictor works for me.

@ I'm curious about the Dexa Scan and hope to get one. I did the body fat % at our employee health fair last week (you hold onto handles on some controller looking device) but I don't think those are truly accurate.

Normal BMI (21) and body fat was 17% at my last DEXA scan.

No one has told me I look too skinny. I'm healthy and athletic/strong.

Different for everyone.

I'm about 6lbs shy of a normal BMI, a few people have commented I shouldn't lose any more weight but personally I am letting my body make it's own decisions. I am conflicted as I still have some issues with my body image although it is a lot better than it was, just occasionally I'm overly self critical. I am seriously bony in places now it's a very odd feeling to contend with. Being this close I kind of feel I'd like to make it to a normal BMI if only for once in my adult life

@ I'm curious about the Dexa Scan and hope to get one. I did the body fat % at our employee health fair last week (you hold onto handles on some controller looking device) but I don't think those are truly accurate.

If you do decide on getting one, I'd check out any local universities. When I first started looking into it there were some private companies offering them at about $150 a piece. One of our local universities has a health and nutrition department that has one, and they charge $40. $30 if you are a student.

The hand thing was most likely a bioelectrical impedance body fat analyzer. It's the same technology they use in scales that read BF %. From what I've read, they can be fairly accurate, but really only if you use them under ideal conditions, which you have to really plan for. You need to be well hydrated, you should not have eaten for many hours, you should not have worked out that day, etc, etc. I see this in my own scale, often in the AM (when you are dehydrated) the BF % can be several percent higher than the afternoon when I'm well hydrated, etc. My BF % on my scale is WAY lower than my actual BF % - about 5% or so.

The calipers are supposed to be pretty reliable too, but only if people are well trained, and it generally is a lot more consistent if you go to the same person every time.

This is why I went with the DEXA scan. It wasn't terribly costly, and gives an accurate reading. My plan is to get down to a normal BMI and get tested again. If my theory is correct I should be at a pretty normal BF % at that point too. If so, I have no compelling reason to be re-tested on any sort of regular basis.

EDIT: One thing I've also wondered about is how all the excess skin affects or doesn't affect the caliper BF % measurement. If anyone has any knowledge or experience on that, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by msujester

I got to a normal BMI and never in a million years thought it was possible given where i was coming from.

I have been told many times I am too skinny but this is by people who are simply not used to seeing me at a normal healthy weight.

I will be honest, there are parts of me that look thin and other parts that carry alot of loose skin and look heavier. I am have had an arm lift and of course that made me look even more normal. Next i am having an Abdominalplasty and breast lift. I planned for that to be the end of it but if it is anything like how i reacted to my arms, i know my legs will bother me but you really have to stop somewhere.

At the end of the day, I am at a the high end of the BMI scale for my height so having this skin removed will likely put me closer to the middle or lower end and I am ok with that.

My bmi is 31 so still considered obese. Since it was 49, and I feel good and have good cholesterol and blood pressure, I'm not too worried.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App