Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI of 21 getting gastric sleeve... thoughts?

VSG is NOT a magic pill. It will NOT change your eating habits. Having had gastric reduction and RNY because of ILLNESS I have serious concerns about the thought process expressed in your post. I hope you get the help you need.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know what you are saying. But i think what you are saying applies to everyone who is getting vsg whether big or small. I am sure many people who are already on the forum have had eating disorders. I think the main difference is just that I am smaller than most folks who got the surgery.

Eating disorders are a reason that VSG is not approved for obese people. People get therapy to deal with eating disorders BEFORE surgery is approved. Most importantly you can still binge eat with the sleeve. It isn't even difficult.

@@iloveorganicmilk

What sort of foods do you binge on?

You mentioned watermelon (a whole one), yes it is fruit and healthy, but is full of sugar, so I can understand the cravings to have more.

You also mentioned you can eat 2 large steaks. If you have a large steak, do you then have a diabolical craving for another, straight away?

What other foods create cravings for you, like once you start, you have to have more and can't stop?

For me, ice-cream is like that, even 7 months post sleeve. I really have to watch it, and over-indulge 1-2 per month, then I am good and just have fruit for dessert.

Have you had your hormones tested, and your thyroid, as abnormalities there can create cravings and weight-gain.

I don't know how old you are, but my guess is 20s to 30s.

If after 40+, then hormones definitely should be tested, although thyroid disease can occur at any age.

So, please let us know what type of foods create cravings for you.

Thank you.

Aside from valid medical conditions, I'm pretty sure every person who is obese has an eating disorder. Or they wouldn't be obese right?! Also isn't the reason we are doing this to have some long term success?? I mean, if there is no restriction a year or so out I might as well just go on another fad diet to loose the weight like I have so many times before. I understand you are able to consume more, but the idea is it should never be like before. I choose the surgery for the long term success rates personally. And yes, I'm seeing a bariatric counselor to help with the eating disorder portion which I think is definitely in order for OP too. Personally I would never risk the complications if I was already at a healthy weight, but I do understand your battle. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 23.

And I have had everything tested. Everything is normal.

I think more than being a binge-eater, I am a volume eater. I just eat so much because I always loved to eat since I was little.

I just tend to eat large amounts of anything. But I dont eat any of the foods most have mentioned. I don't binge on sweets or ice cream, or chips or crackers. Its more like if I'm out eating sushi, other people will just eat like 12 pieces, but i'll need to eat 24. or like when my friends are eating a 3 egg omelet i'll eat like a 6egg omelet LOL

And then I start feeling extremely guilty and stressed that I ate so much that I'll try to relieve the stress by eating more (a vicious cycle!!!) which causes more weight gain and more stress.

My life has been controlled by dieting ever since sophomore year in high school. I know that you all might think that i'm sounding a little anorexic here for wanting to stay thin, but really, 110-115 is considered a normal weight for height. Even my doctor (who is not my surgeon) approves.

ahh if i could explain everything so that you guys can get a clearer picture of my situation I want to. but a post will lack the space to do so.

Anyways. My surgeon has had a lot of success with low BMI patients like me (i'm not the only low bmi patient getting a vsg!!). Even patients with binge-eating and bulimia etc have had success with great reviews! I'm not going into this on a whim. Even lower bmi patients who were thinner than me have done well and were able to maintain a healthy weight.

The reason im asking on this forum is because I understand that no matter if i feel 100% confident about my decision, its always smart to listen to other people's thoughts too.

Again, thank you all for your guy's input. Its good to see what other people think about my choice

I am 23.

And I have had everything tested. Everything is normal.

I think more than being a binge-eater, I am a volume eater. I just eat so much because I always loved to eat since I was little.

I just tend to eat large amounts of anything. But I dont eat any of the foods most have mentioned. I don't binge on sweets or ice cream, or chips or crackers. Its more like if I'm out eating sushi, other people will just eat like 12 pieces, but i'll need to eat 24. or like when my friends are eating a 3 egg omelet i'll eat like a 6egg omelet LOL

And then I start feeling extremely guilty and stressed that I ate so much that I'll try to relieve the stress by eating more (a vicious cycle!!!) which causes more weight gain and more stress.

My life has been controlled by dieting ever since sophomore year in high school. I know that you all might think that i'm sounding a little anorexic here for wanting to stay thin, but really, 110-115 is considered a normal weight for height. Even my doctor (who is not my surgeon) approves.

ahh if i could explain everything so that you guys can get a clearer picture of my situation I want to. but a post will lack the space to do so.

Anyways. My surgeon has had a lot of success with low BMI patients like me (i'm not the only low bmi patient getting a vsg!!). Even patients with binge-eating and bulimia etc have had success with great reviews! I'm not going into this on a whim. Even lower bmi patients who were thinner than me have done well and were able to maintain a healthy weight.

The reason im asking on this forum is because I understand that no matter if i feel 100% confident about my decision, its always smart to listen to other people's thoughts too.

Again, thank you all for your guy's input. Its good to see what other people think about my choice

This member has been banned for trolling.

@@Alex Brecher

Why?? :lol:

kathy

@@Alex Brecher

Why?? :lol:

kathy

Kathy, I heart you :P

Kathy,

I heart you :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@@Babbs

ahhhhhhh

back at ya bud!!!!

you are aces :rolleyes:

hugggggs

kathy

This is a joke, right???? Why do people troll? If this is a "real" person, I would be praying that the Dr. who approved to do this surgery is actually board-certified and licensed.

This is a joke, right????

@@Armygalbonnie

beware of trolls

look to your left, to your right

they are everywhere!!!

go to post #36 response by Alex

continued good luck with your sleeve :rolleyes:

kathy

Sad to think I wasted my time on someone who was just trolling...I had my suspicions, but replied anyway. People who troll usually have some psychological need for attention, either positive or negative, but usually negative. The more I read, the more ridiculous it all sounded. Anyway, moving on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Okay, I'm back after being "banned" just to clarify some things.

I have never done foruming before. This is the first few weeks that I have been on here because I really wanted some input from others.

I didn't even know what a troll was until ppl started to call me that here. I had to look it up on google to find out what that meant.

The thing that really confuses me though is that are you all calling me a troll because you think I'm lying about this whole situation or because you are all just offended that a normal weight person would ever even contemplate about getting a vsg? Please explain to me because I am confused.

It is your choice whether you believe it or not but I am NOT joking about this.

So thank you to those who actually put in their time to give me their kind thoughts about this.

I do want to apologize to all though, because I saw that many ppl were offended because of my post.

I realized that for an overweight person, having someone who is at a healthy weight that is thinking about getting the vsg may sound absolutely insane and crazy. I realized that it might even sound like I'm mocking to some. I didn't get to see it from your guys' perspective. So sorry about that.

I was driving today and I thought about how I would react if someone was suffering from body dysmorphia and so felt the desire to cut off their leg cuz it didnt feel like their own. I realized that I would similarly think that the person was crazy and would completely be against the surgery regardless of their explanation. Why cut off a perfectly normal leg?

But that would be just my perspective. The person himself might be under severe, life crippling, emotional and psychological distress because their leg didn't seem to be a part of their own body. (and we may NEVER understand what that must feel like!!) We just never know whats going on on the inside, other than the person themselves.

So their always are two sides of a story. I'm not saying that every other person who has an eating disorder should consider getting a sleeve. I'm just trying my best(considering MY personal life circumstances) to find the most helpful way to find some control in my crazy eating habits.

Anyways, just wanted to say sorry if any of ya'll were offended or thought that I was joking (cuz i really wasn't!!)

I'm sorry that I may have offended you, but I also got hurt as well. I didn't know people could be so mean and hateful to someone who was really honestly seeking advice.

Sad to think I wasted my time on someone who was just trolling...I had my suspicions, but replied anyway. People who troll usually have some psychological need for attention, either positive or negative, but usually negative. The more I read, the more ridiculous it all sounded. Anyway, moving on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App