Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI of 21 getting gastric sleeve... thoughts?

I don't understand why people get soooo offended when a smaller person wants to receive the same treatment that you all have received as well?

many of you can probably confess that you guys love the restriction that the sleeve gives you.

What is wrong with someone of the smaller size who wants that as well?

also, I believe that my doctor is a very ethical person because he actually understands the extreme emotional and psychological pain that is present in people like me.

Personally to me, my quality of life is just as important as the quantity of life. (Not that the sleeve reduces years of life anyways!)

@@iloveorganicmilk

I am concerned that if this is a true post, that you are looking for a short term solution to a long term problem.

Sleeve may work for you in the first 4-5 months, you will be forced to eat less, have bad reflux if you eat wrong foods, or keep throwing up.

Then stomach heals, and as was mentioned before, you can binge on any food, and you will Gain weight back!

Really, you need lot of counselling and even OA - Overeaters Anonymous.

The binge eating needs to be under control Before the sleeve.

Otherwise, surgery will be for nothing, and you could possibly damage your sleeve, spend all this money, be sick, re-gain weight and have life-long complications.

Sleeve is Not a magic wand!

I'm sure there are many people that were able to get psychological clearance and still get surgery. I saw my wife struggle with binge eating/bulimia and the Lap-band for years. She often ate to the point of severe discomfort and often complained of pain from bingeing way beyond her comfort zone (almost every single night) She threw up frequently. On several occasions, she admitted to me that she liked the feeling of being empty (hence the bulimia). I like the feeling of being full. I'm sure we have our own experiences that shaped us to feel a certain way. She did lose about 80# and has kept off about 70#, give or take. I believe she is in "remission" with her eating disorder (if there even is such a thing), but it does flare up now and again, often during periods of high stress.

If the sleeve could completely prevent you from bingeing, I would say "go for it", but it can't. I totally believe you about how detrimental it has been to you. Have you tried some type of eating disorder clinic? I feel they would have the best understanding of various eating disorders and how to treat them. I worry that for you, especially since it appears you do not have weight to lose (based upon your BMI), that it wouldn't serve you ghe way you need /want it too. I strongly encourage you to seek some emotional support for your binge eating disorder, whether or not you decide to proceed with the surgery. You're not "CRAZY", as you mentioned, but you do need help, and in my humble opinion, it's not surgery. Best of luck to you on your journey towards healing yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for your thoughts and kind words :) I'll take them to heart

I have a BMI of 21 and am getting a vertical sleeve because of my binge eating disorder

I am adamant that I will be going through with this surgery because my eating disorder has been so detrimental to me in my physical, psychological and social well being. My eating disorder has been crippling my life, and I truly believe that getting the surgery will help me immensely.

Most people on this forum seem to love their sleeves so I am feeling pretty excited about receiving my surgery.

However, I understand that most people will think that I am CRAZY(!!!!) for even thinking about getting it done.

I would like to hear what other people think about my decision because i cannot put my stomach back together once i get the surgery done.

I just wanna hear other people's thoughts so that I can see my decision from the perspective of others.

You are 5'4", 108 pounds, have an eating disorder and you want to be sleeved?

I'm going to exit quietly.

no, I'm 5'4" and I'm 125 pounds. My goal weight would be like 110, which isn't underweight.

No one should ever have surgery to lose 15 pounds.

I truly hope you have a good therapist.

As others have noted, surgery is not a solution for an eating disorder.

@@iloveorganicmilk

I am concerned that if this is a true post, that you are looking for a short term solution to a long term problem.

Sleeve may work for you in the first 4-5 months, you will be forced to eat less, have bad reflux if you eat wrong foods, or keep throwing up.

Then stomach heals, and as was mentioned before, you can binge on any food, and you will Gain weight back!

Otherwise, surgery will be for nothing, and you could possibly damage your sleeve, spend all this money, be sick, re-gain weight and have life-long complications.

I don't quite understand though... if the sleeve does not stretch much (or so i have heard) how will I be able to binge? it just doesn't seem physically possible

You asked for our perspectives, now I encourage you to really listen to their responses. Many people with binge eating disorders have found a way to continue bingeing, and based on your history, I'm thinking you may, as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

many of you can probably confess that you guys love the restriction that the sleeve gives you.

What you do not seem to understand is that restriction is really temporary. The first 6 months you have a lot of it. The further out you get, the more you can eat, and the few things that cause restriction. When I was 5 months a Protein bar would have me stuff, at one year they are a slider.

Restriction is temporary. It will not save you from binge eating.

@@iloveorganicmilk

I don't quite understand though... if the sleeve does not stretch much (or so i have heard) how will I be able to binge? it just doesn't seem physically possible

Slider foods can be eaten in large quantities, such as ice-cream, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, chips etc.

Also,even though the sleeve does not stretch, after it is completely healed (6 months) the hunger and capacity to eat more returns. If this is not controlled through strict portion sizes, like 1/2 to 1 cup max at a meal, the weight will come back on.

Put "Weight gain" or "Regain" in the Search button, and you will read stories of people who gained or even regained weight.

Another slider food/drink is Alcohol, full of sugar and calories.

I can't give you scientific explanation why people can eat more after the sleeve, but it does happen if they stray from the diet guidelines.

As someone mentioned earlier, yes you can eat around the sleeve.

I can have a big bowl of ice-cream now, being 7 months post op. I can certainly eat more now. Some foods I had issues with early post op, I am fine now. I choose to eat healthy, because I want to reach my goal, and maintain it.

Show me a person who binges on Protein ..... As far as I know, the binge foods are sugary, fatty, sweet and salty carb processed foods. Easy to binge on after sleeve as well.

This post brought to you by the same person who posted this:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/378631-how-much-can-you-eat-as-years-after-the-sleeve-how-much-does-the-sleeve-stretch/

Me thinks we have a Trolly McTrollerson on our hands.....

I'm not writing any of this in an aggressive tone or anything. but just wanted to say,

that a post is way too small to explain my complete life journey.

this post was just meant to ask thoughts about what people who had the surgery thought about my decision to get the sleeve.

my starting weight was 135 when i got the lap band in march 2015. (I got down to about 108 pounds from the lap band). this past labor day weekend, I got extreme pain from my lapband so i had it completely drained. thats when i decided that the lapband was not for me. (then i gained to 125 with my band all drained)

I'm getting my band removed during thanksgiving and then having my surgery the day after christmas.

This is not a joke people, nor a troll.

I'm seriously just asking for thoughts about my decision. I'm not here to provoke or anger anyone.

Just please leave your educated thoughts about my decision if you have any. thank you :)

Who is the surgeon that did your original Lap-Band surgery and which surgeon is doing your sleeve?

What you do not seem to understand is that restriction is really temporary. The first 6 months you have a lot of it. The further out you get, the more you can eat, and the few things that cause restriction. When I was 5 months a Protein bar would have me stuff, at one year they are a slider.

Restriction is temporary. It will not save you from binge eating.

Oh, I see. I just feel like because I am a volume eater (even when I'm not bingeing). Because of my bingeing habits I know that my stomach is larger than that of a normal person. So thats why I want the sleeve to reduce it. Even if my eating capacity increases over the years, I have heard that it is impossible to get the stomach back to its original size.

And the reason why I feel like the vsg will help me a lot is because I do eat really healthy; just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much of it. (think whole watermelon a day, 2 one pound steaks a meal, a ton of fish etc) my diet is really healthy; and thats probably the reason why I'm not super heavy considering the amount that I am able to eat. Thats why I feel like the vsg will help me.

This is a joke, right? If not... please see a therapist. I'm not saying you're CRAZY , I see one weekly myself. But there is NO way you'll make it through the pre-op and definitely NO way you'll make it post op.

Overweight and obese people have enough extra weight that we can lost 30 pounds and be "okay" - you have no extra weight to lose.

There is no way this is safe physically or mentally. Having untreated bigger eating disorder sets you up for a leak.

VSG is NOT a magic pill. It will NOT change your eating habits. Having had gastric reduction and RNY because of ILLNESS I have serious concerns about the thought process expressed in your post. I hope you get the help you need.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My thoughts on this are...I think it's a really, really, really, really bad idea for you.

This is a joke, right? If not... please see a therapist. I'm not saying you're CRAZY , I see one weekly myself. But there is NO way you'll make it through the pre-op and definitely NO way you'll make it post op.

Overweight and obese people have enough extra weight that we can lost 30 pounds and be "okay" - you have no extra weight to lose.

There is no way this is safe physically or mentally. Having untreated bigger eating disorder sets you up for a leak.

My surgeon doesn't require a pre-op for me, and before the surgery i'm planning on fattening up a bit so that I won't become a skeleton lol