Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 11 weeks post op and am curious on calories. I'm typically getting in all my Protein but at this point am trying very hard to reduce the dependence on a Protein shake to get this in. I feel as if the benefits of real food are enough to attempt the change. My question is this... has anyone else eaten quality foods to gain protein, calories be damned? I saw a graph that said at this age post-op I should be at 500 cals per day and min 72g protein. I get my protein prescribed by my doctor (60g+) but am typically at 800 or so calories a day.... since the cals are from real, whole, foods anyone else doing this? think it's ok? had a discussion with their NUT about it?

I'm just trying to determine if I"m screwing up by assuming this is ok. I've been stalled for about 2 weeks and am getting frustrated about it -- which has lead me to question this approach. Also, in case it's brought up, I'm not as active as I want to be (i.e. I cannot cut down the calories through insane working out as an option) as I have two small children who are with me at all times I'm not at work.

A typical day looks like:

1 egg/2 egg white/sausage or bacon/cheese omelet (2 oz total)

2 reduced fat cheese sticks (snacks)

1 apple

handful cashews

2 TB pimento cheese (or 1.5 oz turkey rolled up)

whole grain crackers (14/day)

2 oz chicken breasts

veggies

whole grain/fiberous something (quinoa, black Beans, etc.)

Thanks!

Edited by beyondgrief

At 11 weeks, I'd drop some of the higher carb foods for leaner protein', personally.

JUST MY OPINION.

The apple and crackers are taking up valuable real estate when you could get in something higher in protein' and will keep you full longer. I'd also swap out almonds for the cashews. Better fat content and more fiber'.

What kind of veggies are you consuming? What's your serving size on the whole grain option?

I was at around 800 per day because the practice I use has us getting off Protein shakes as soon as we can tolerate whole foods. I think you are making pretty good choices.

I eat apples, cheese, eggs, almonds, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, some carrots, oat bread toast occasionally ruben (half a slice is a serving for me) chicken breasts, ground turkey, ground sirloin, onions, steak bites, lima Beans, refried Beans - occasionally a small serving of popcorn as a treat. so many delicious options. this is a plan to eat for life, not a diet.

my weight loss has been slower than some, but my BMI wasn't that high - and I was told when I lost Daddy that the stress would probably slow me down too - and maybe it has. I am still loosing though, so I am pleased. I do have a Protein shake when I need a grab and go meal, or feel like I need to bump up baby girl's protein intake (when I do we share one on the way to work/school - it's like chocolate milk to her, but she's getting protein and Fiber [sneaky mama]).

I am supposed to be eating whole foods, and counting my protein and fluids. I have a rough calorie range, but that is not the focus because if I am eating these kinds of whole foods there isn't really any room for junk.

when I need chocolate I have a triple chocolate Power Crunch bar. really takes care of that occasional craving

I think I'd lose the whole grain crackers and try to replace that with Protein...14 of them, even if they're wheat thin sized, takes up a lot of space that you could give to Protein. And like LL said, switch the cashews for almonds or at least mix them. Cashews are yummy, but have more saturated fat than almonds. That's another place where you can swap in a different protein, like a dairy, if you skip the nuts entirely...I still look at saturated fats as a less-desirable option. A handful of cashews is roughly 150 cals/15 g. fat/5 g. protein. You could substitute a container of Oikos Triple Zero greek yogurt and get 150 cals/0 fat/15 g. protein.

I agree with LipstickLady for where you could cut some calories. My practice has our calorie range as 600-800calories starting at 6 weeks and going through the bulk of the main weight loss phase. And 60-80grams Protein.< /p>

Just my experience here. I'm constantly changing my diet with different foods and fluids. I feel like my body doesn't know what to expect and I've had good success so far.

if you want some crunch with Protein - the Quest chips are fairly good ratio wise as opposed to crackers - 32grams (a bag) is 120 calories, 2g fat, 5g carbs and 21 protein - I usually snack on half a bag when i am craving salty and crunchy and a vegetable wont do (i still have some issues with raw veggies 7 months out) - so at 1/2 a bag it is slightly higher payoff than a mozzarella stick - though it is mostly chemicals :)