Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Parents with young kids out there?

I'm 33 years old and am now just under 300. (people will argue that I don't look like I weigh that much but the scale doesn't lie). I'm a size 18/20. I have had moderate success losing about 50 lbs from last November using diet and medication. I am currently on Victoza and MEtformin because I also suffer from PCOS. I am active and exercise 3-4 days a week. I am having my first consult in two weeks and am looking at the sleeve or potentially the band. I know the band is going out of style, but my concern is recovery time. I have three young kids, 4, 3, and 2 and while my husband is supportive, I don't want any undue burden falling on him as I recover. Are there parents with younger kids out there who have or will undergo surgery that can share experiences? I'm nervous about all of this, but committed to getting healthier. We are looking into a fourth child and I refuse to be this large when I get pregnant. Thank you!

I was sleeved 9/19, have a 2.5 and 3.5 YO, both 40 lbs and tall for their age. I have had a fabulous recovery and went back to work from home (sedentary, 25 hours a week) within 5 days and feel totally fine 1.5 weeks out.

My kids are in daycare though, and hubby did the morning dress/change routine the first week, and I had friends do the post daycare pickup evening routine. I was able to help the p.m. routine once I was home from the hospital, just didn't lift them.

My experience isn't necessarily the "norm," but I'm honestly doing great and just don't lift the kids -- they have to climb on our bed to be changed. If you have help the first two weeks, I think you'll be fine.

I was sleeved 9/19, have a 2.5 and 3.5 YO, both 40 lbs and tall for their age. I have had a fabulous recovery and went back to work from home (sedentary, 25 hours a week) within 5 days and feel totally fine 1.5 weeks out.

My kids are in daycare though, and hubby did the morning dress/change routine the first week, and I had friends do the post daycare pickup evening routine. I was able to help the p.m. routine once I was home from the hospital, just didn't lift them.

My experience isn't necessarily the "norm," but I'm honestly doing great and just don't lift the kids -- they have to climb on our bed to be changed. If you have help the first two weeks, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks! That's good to hear. I hope that since I'm younger, I can bounce back a little easier. My doctor seems to think so. My oldest is 55 lbs and the other two are 37 and 34 lbs. (my 2 year old girl is a bit of a monster). I think it is doable. My kids are also in daycare and I teach, but can remain sedentary for a time if possible. Anyway, thank you for the information!

How long was your hospital stay?

@@HRHMKB I would investigate the band some more - I was told by my surgeon that 50-60 % of band patients require a secondary surgery due to slipping, erosion, etc. I don't think the recovery time is much faster for band patients - you still will have abdominal surgery and the same lifting precautions as with the sleeve.

I'm 43 and am on BP meds and CPAP for apnea, but other than that, a very healthy (morbidly obese) person, LOL. I, too, am pretty active and exercise 2-3x a week before surgery.

I stayed Monday-Wednesday, and I needed the whole time. I slept like 30 hours straight after surgery, from Monday morning to about Tuesday midday (aside from nurses poking me and going to the bathroom.) I was horribly sick Tuesday from the anesthesia and felt like death. I had them stop all pain meds Tuesday midday, and by Wednesday I felt 100% better and was discharged midday.

I rested at home Wednesday midday to Saturday, only took pain meds at night in case I bumped incisions, but by Friday I was constipated and felt really good, so stopped pain meds.

I covered a little 2-hour shift Saturday morning from home, and then had hubby take the kids to swim class so I could rest some more in peace, but I really did feel good. I went back to work/crazy schedule that Monday balls to the wall and have only had 2x of where I felt light-headed and exhausted. I had overdone it and had to lay down and nap -- plus am only getting 600-800 calories in, so that doesn't help the tired factor. The episodes were only that first week back to work, haven't had one in over a week now.

I'm 31yr with 3 kids. 6yo, 3yo and 6month old. I'm getting the sleeve this coming Saturday. I've organised my sister in law to live at my place while I'm in hospital so my hubby can visit me through the day. Hubby is also having the week of and I've arranged help for the weeks after. I think if your organised it will help recovery because you won't be so stressed.

I had the lap band at 22yrs and just last year I needed to go in for emergency sugery to have the band removed because it slipped. I personally had a lot of issues with the band. Plus I had to arrange appointments for adjustments with the sleeve I'll see the surgeon at 2 weeks then every 3 months. With the band I was sometimes going every 3-5 weeks.

There are risks with either band or sleeve. Good luck weth your decision xx

I'm getting sleeved in November and I have 2 young ones. 11 mo and 2.5 yo. I've heard recovery is easier than a c-section! My kids are home with me all day and my husband only comes on weekends. My Mom is coming from Colorado to help me for two weeks while I recover. She doesn't want me lifting. I think since all your kids are walking you will be fine. The main thing is lifting them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Think you'll find consensus here. I just had my band revised to bypass. There is enough research out there now that says that bands don't work. My. Doctor has gone as far as saying Drs still doing it today should be sued for malpractice, because they know they don't work over the long run. Know 4 people removing them this week alone

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm having surgery on Monday and nervous about the same things. I have 4 kids, the youngest being 2 & 4. I've been very aware of how many times I pick up my 2yr old because he is running a direction he shouldn't, getting into something he shouldn't etc. My husband took a week off work and my mom lives with us so she will help where she can but she is going in for hip replacement surgery later this month and can't do much herself either. Hoping for a speedy recovery!!

i'm having sleeve in november and i have a 4 year old. My mother is taking the week off after surgery so i can re-coup and help with my monsters energetic self. That with hubby helping should be good. It's the lifting that will get me as she loves to be carried to bed and when she gets upset.

I'm 33 years old and am now just under 300. (people will argue that I don't look like I weigh that much but the scale doesn't lie). I'm a size 18/20. I have had moderate success losing about 50 lbs from last November using diet and medication. I am currently on Victoza and MEtformin because I also suffer from PCOS. I am active and exercise 3-4 days a week. I am having my first consult in two weeks and am looking at the sleeve or potentially the band. I know the band is going out of style, but my concern is recovery time. I have three young kids, 4, 3, and 2 and while my husband is supportive, I don't want any undue burden falling on him as I recover. Are there parents with younger kids out there who have or will undergo surgery that can share experiences? I'm nervous about all of this, but committed to getting healthier. We are looking into a fourth child and I refuse to be this large when I get pregnant. Thank you!

Your story sounds a lot like mine☺ I am 34. I am at 271 and I'm always told the same thing.....you don't look that heavy! I have been up and down weightwise as well. I have a 6 yrxt old, but no more little ones are in my future. I'm one and done lol. I also have PCOS. I had my 1st appt about a month ago and I have seen the nutritionist and I'm going back in another month. I am getting my psychological consult done tomorrow as well as my TSG test. I am nervous as well bexuawcit seems like everything is flowing so smoothly so far...I'm afraid something is going to go wrong and I won't get a final approval for surgery. It's good to know there's another mama out there with my same thoughts and concerns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon won't even do the band to many problems with it that they stopped giving as an option to much up keep and adjusting and too many with no long term success. I have three young kids and baby sit from home I meet with the surgeon tomorrow and find out when I'm scheduled and I'm having the bypass so I will let you know when I go through everything. I have had three c sections so I'm hoping I will be okay.

You should do this for yourself, you don't regret it. I had surgery Wed and had my parents and in laws come for 2 days to help with our kids. My husband took a week off work with FMLA and has helped me so much!!! We have kids 10, 6 and 11/2 Yr old twins. It's hard not holding the twins but i don't regret taking care of myself. Don't do the band, research the sleeve....

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm 28 and was sleeved on 10/26. I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. My husband was home for the first week but I've been doing everything since then. I only lift my youngest when absolutely necessary (21 or 22lbs.) I'm off of work for 6 weeks due to my job requirements (I'm a nurse) I would say recovery has gone well and would highly recommend sleeve surgery....down almost 20lbs in 2.5 weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App