Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No, not everyone. But I would highly recommend it. It helps with keeping the muscle that will be lost with rapid weight loss and also helps with toning what muscle you have. Doesn't hurt to be heart healthy, either.

In my opinion, I don't really think it makes too big of a difference with weight loss whether you exercise or not, because I was the slowest loser on earth and exercised all through my weight loss process. But what it gave to me otherwise was invaluable. I have great muscle tone, was able to stave off a bit of loose skin, and my resting heart rate now is in the 50's. I'm just healthy overall now. But you don't have to kill yourself at a gym, either. Just being more active doing something you love and getting your heart going several days a week is all you really need.

I'm sure not everyone exercises, but from what I've seen the really successful ones (the ones who reach goal and maintain) do. But it doesn't mean you have to be a gym rat - find something you enjoy doing and do that. Just being active helps. I basically do a lot of walking - not even a strenuous pace at this point, some easy yoga one day a week because I know I need help with flexibility, and at night I do some resistance band work while watching tv. Every little bit helps your overall health. My blood pressure is way down, my resting heart rate is way down, I have much less joint pain, I can actually go places I want to go and be able to walk around and sight see - the benefits are endless.

In our main bariatric class our nutritionist said the focus was on moving more, but my doctor wanted exercise. I established my exercise routine before surgery, so I'm just picking up where I left off...but I think the most important thing to do is find ways to be active that you enjoy. If you like dancing, take some classes. If you like to swim, once you're healed, hit the pool. If you like what you're doing, you're more likely to stick with it.

To be a healthy human being, exercise is critical. I enjoy exercise (mostly swimming) because I can do it.

The more I exercise the more I can do and the more I can exercise the more I enjoy it.

It is self reinforcing.