Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any bandsters who quit before surgery? after surgery? Smoked before and after? How did you quit, if you did?

I know all the horrific stuff about smoking~ I am working on quitting, am down to half of usual cigs per day~

If you couldn't quit before surgery, did you have problems with anasthesia? I am trying hard to totally quit, but haven't gotten there quite yet.

i have trouble with the smokes. i started 6months after my surgery. bad. im trying to quit. i havent smoked in two days. just talking about it makes me want one. i think it is a stress reliever. it used to be food and since the band cures that, i switched to smokes. sucks trying to quit. good luck to you. my friend smoked up to the time the doctor came and told her to get back in bed , she was going to surgery. she did fine. but the doctor had told her to quit and she didnt. she still smokes.

I have smoked for about 16 yrs. I gave up the day before surgery and for about a week after.

I know I have should have given up way before then but it was so hard, I was so stressed about the surgery that I couldnt.

It is taking a risk to smoke when going under anasthestic(sp). Make sure you let the anasthesiologist(sp) know so he/she can take extra precautions with monitoring your breathing.

Im a smoker.I smoked one day before surgery and started again week after. and I still smoke. Not a good thing I know but I asked my doc that it might be a problem to quit right away after the surgery and she told me that it would be too much stress for the body (much less food and no ciggies:-) so Im planning to quit once I hit my goal...

I think it all depends on each person. I smoke, have for 9 years.. didn't quit for surgery.. 10 mintues before surgery they checked the oxygen in my blood, since I was a smoker.. he said it was 100%!! He said that was unusual for smokers..

On the other hand, my sister who is now 18, and has smoked about 3 years.. she had her oxygen levels checked not too long ago (for a doctor visit) and hers was 97%.

I seemed to have increased how much I smoke since surgery, I guess to fill the food void. I told my doctor up front I wasn't prepared to give up food and smoking at once. I do plan to quit someday, when I decide to have kids..

The only scare I had, a week post-op, I had a really bad pain and thought it could be a blood clot.. when I went to the ER I got a nice lecture about how I have a death wish --- B/C, Smoking, and just had surgery. He told me I WOULD have a blood clot if I don't stop taking b/c or smoking. FOOEY ON HIM. I'm stubborn I guess.

I think it all depends on each person. I smoke, have for 9 years.. didn't quit for surgery.. 10 mintues before surgery they checked the oxygen in my blood, since I was a smoker.. he said it was 100%!! He said that was unusual for smokers..

On the other hand, my sister who is now 18, and has smoked about 3 years.. she had her oxygen levels checked not too long ago (for a doctor visit) and hers was 97%.

I seemed to have increased how much I smoke since surgery, I guess to fill the food void. I told my doctor up front I wasn't prepared to give up food and smoking at once. I do plan to quit someday, when I decide to have kids..

The only scare I had, a week post-op, I had a really bad pain and thought it could be a blood clot.. when I went to the ER I got a nice lecture about how I have a death wish --- B/C, Smoking, and just had surgery. He told me I WOULD have a blood clot if I don't stop taking b/c or smoking. FOOEY ON HIM. I'm stubborn I guess.

I've always smoked when I had a few drinks with friends, but quit drinking for a few years after getting prego and becoming a mom...now that I can't eat, i'm finding i'm having a few drinks and smokes more than I did prebanding.... Iheard many GB patients switch their addictions to booze, cigarettes and/or sex...I guess this is quite typical, but i'm not seeing alot of people talking on these forums about these addiction transfers. Does anyone know if smoking can cause issues with the band? Not that i'm looking for a license to smoke but I don't remember hearing anything from my surgeon and was curious as it's not mentioned much...?

I didn't even bother trying to quit before surgery, I knew it was useless. I can't give up food and smoking at the same time.

This sounds absolutely horrible but my next step is major surgery... Tummy Tuck. THEN I'll work on smoking.

I figure by that time I'll be an absolutely perfect person in every bloody way! HA!

NOT suggesting others do things my way, it's just my way. If I live through it I'll let ya'll know. :mad:

I did quite smoking before surgery. I used the patch. Worked great!! Then 2 wks before surgery my DR said she would rather I not have the nicotine in my system at all so I went off the Patches too. The very next day I had to go on the liquid diet! To me that week was the worst thing about doing this! No food no cigarettes not even a little nicotine!! I almost buckled!! But I didn't and now I'm smoke free! In fact I don't even think about having a cigarette any more. My focus has switched to the weight loss.

BTW my Dr required I not smoke for at least 2 wks b-4 the surgery.

I smoked for 8 years. I quit August 28 of last year. I would still smoke occasionally with a friend, but rarely. Since I found out that I was approved for lapband surgery I have not evenn smoked socially. It helps that my husband quit smoking with me back in august. Quiting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am a nurse and have seen over and over the effects it has. Just like food addictions, it is a mind thing. No matter how many surgeons or Emergency room nurses tell you you have to quit, you can't until you make up your mind to. Until then, you are stuck with the risks that are undeniable. I wish you the very best in you deciding to quit. You can do it!!

I have smoked for 30 years and quit now for 2 and 1/2 months, I used the new medicine Chantix... It really works without the withdrawel symptoms. Good Luck

Good Morning!

My Dr. made it mandatory that I had to quit smoking at least 2 months before he would schedule surgery.

So, I'm here to tell you about the drug that helped me do it... "Chantix"

I have smoked for 20 years, quit using the patch during my 1st pregnancy, quit using the patch during the 5th month of my 2nd pregnancy...Had a stroke at age 36, still didn't quit with Zyban.

PCP prescribed the Chantix. It really did it for me. It was physically hard the 1st 2 weeks but the drug didn't allow my body to "crave" it.

I quit December 21st, 2006 5pm and haven't looked back.

Quitting smoking was 100 x's easier than this Band is. I never think about smoking any longer...I always think about junk food. The success rate with Chantix is 45% after 12 weeks.

The highest of all stop smoking aids.

google chantix.com and check it out, you get online support daily with great tips and tricks.

Just one person's opinion, I truly believe this saved my life.

About 3 years ago I smoked everyday, then I gradually cut back to a couple times a month.

I smoked occassionally before the band. About 1 or 2 times a month. It helped with eating (as you all know) I quit 1 week before the band and I haven't smoked since. I am going to try to stay off the cigarettes.

When I initally quit, wellbutrin really helped me.

My doc said I had to quit for surgery - I did quit for 10 days - 6/25 -7/5

then started again - I smoke about 1/2 pk a day... Can't smoke, eat or drink after midnight the nght before surgery - I did tell the doc while being preped for surgery that i had cheated and smoked - had no problems - I still smoke - giving up cigs & food together too much at one time imho....

Wasa - I would never have figured you for a smoker :)... I really thought you would be so anti-smokeing being a nurse and all... :(

Congrats all you quitters :(

When I decide to quit, I plan on doing the Chantix route, everyone at work is doing it.. 2 people have quit, 2 people say they don't 'want' to smoke, they just do (cause they alcoholics and it goes hand in hand when they get drunk).