Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my bypass working?

It sounds to me that you aren't completely following your plan or that they didn't advise you well. You mentioned that you had chicken and you went back to eat it later over time. Is this outside the realm of meals? If so, that is definitely not conducive to weightloss, because you are eating around the restriction of the pouch by just waiting til it will fit and eating it. Also starting solids early can be really dangerous and has the potential to stretch your swollen pouch and cause damage including leaks and a pouch that will not be your best tool for the journey. Your body needs to heal. I know the liquids get so boring, but you really should have stayed on them for the full time and then waited to be advanced by your nutritionist to the puréed and then soft foods and on to proper solids. You also need to think of your pouch like a funnel. Eating Soups or whatever will slide right on through the bottom of your pouch(which is why it's referred to as slider foods) they also contain almost no Protein. To keep your muscles and hair in it's best shape, you need to focus on Protein and protein and more protein. Don't waste real estate in your pouch on noodles and empty calories. I'm almost 11 months out now and I still don't eat Soup or noodles or anything like that. I focus on my Proteins first and if I have room after my weighed and measured portions of protein I will have veggies or occasionally some fruit and that's it. You don't need the other stuff and it takes time, but you will learn to love not eating them if you give yourself the chance to develop the new habits.

Yea I'm back onto liquids now guess I moved on to quickly but I'm good now thank you.

Sent from my SM-G901F using the BariatricPal App

It sounds to me that you aren't completely following your plan or that they didn't advise you well. You mentioned that you had chicken and you went back to eat it later over time. Is this outside the realm of meals? If so, that is definitely not conducive to weightloss, because you are eating around the restriction of the pouch by just waiting til it will fit and eating it. Also starting solids early can be really dangerous and has the potential to stretch your swollen pouch and cause damage including leaks and a pouch that will not be your best tool for the journey. Your body needs to heal. I know the liquids get so boring, but you really should have stayed on them for the full time and then waited to be advanced by your nutritionist to the puréed and then soft foods and on to proper solids. You also need to think of your pouch like a funnel. Eating Soups or whatever will slide right on through the bottom of your pouch(which is why it's referred to as slider foods) they also contain almost no Protein. To keep your muscles and hair in it's best shape, you need to focus on Protein and protein and more protein. Don't waste real estate in your pouch on noodles and empty calories. I'm almost 11 months out now and I still don't eat Soup or noodles or anything like that. I focus on my Proteins first and if I have room after my weighed and measured portions of protein I will have veggies or occasionally some fruit and that's it. You don't need the other stuff and it takes time, but you will learn to love not eating them if you give yourself the chance to develop the new habits.

Yea I'm back onto liquids now guess I moved on to quickly but I'm good now thank you.

Also I have lost 14lbs since being out of surgery 12 days ago. So the weight loss is doing really well despite what iv eaten already. Also I do have a different plan to the Americans I can eat pureed food on weds. But yeh will continue to stick to the plan.

I did that one time and paid for it dearly. My toilet and I became the best of friends, lol. My pouch couldnt hold anything down after that fantastic plan of mine. It gets better. Im 2 months out from bypass, and still have gas issues after eating. Really bad gas pains in my pouch. It eases up but not til like two hours later.

Hi Melanie89

I'm from England too, although I had my bypass surgery done privately in Europe. If you had yours in the UK then I suspect your post-op instructions are quite different to those from over the pond! I have a friend who had bypass surgery in UK and her plan was vastly different from mine even.

Having said that, I do think that the American's have the edge here! The diet plan give to my friend from the Nuffield Hospital (surgery done by an NHS consultant and follow up the same as NHS) was not low carb, it had her eating bread, rice and Pasta pretty quickly after surgery and large volumes too!

The Water and Protein first, low carbohydrate diet is definitely the way to go - and 1/2 cupful to start when you start eating solids. I know the advice is confusing and you can feel as if you're left in the dark, I know I did, but if you want to PM me, please do.

I hope you continue your great start!

Jude

Hi Melanie89

I'm from England too, although I had my bypass surgery done privately in Europe. If you had yours in the UK then I suspect your post-op instructions are quite different to those from over the pond! I have a friend who had bypass surgery in UK and her plan was vastly different from mine even.

Having said that, I do think that the American's have the edge here! The diet plan give to my friend from the Nuffield Hospital (surgery done by an NHS consultant and follow up the same as NHS) was not low carb, it had her eating bread, rice and Pasta pretty quickly after surgery and large volumes too!

The Water and Protein first, low carbohydrate diet is definitely the way to go - and 1/2 cupful to start when you start eating solids. I know the advice is confusing and you can feel as if you're left in the dark, I know I did, but if you want to PM me, please do.

I hope you continue your great start!

Jude

Hi Jude.

Yes the Americans plan are soo much different to ours. I'm not feeling any restriction yet iv jst gone onto pureed food today. I don't vomit or get sick I don't enjoy eating anymore cos I can't eat the things I like. I don't feel normal at all. Iv lost 14lbs today 2 weeks excatly since my op and I lost 15lbs on the pre op diet so 29lbs in a month happy about that.

I am 7 weeks out and can eat two scrambled eggs without feeling stuffed...really frustrating cuz I want that full feeling. We just have to be that more diligent in weighing our food. I also notice that I sometimes get full on 1 ounce of food depending on the time if day...good luck to all of us!

I am 7 weeks out and can eat two scrambled eggs without feeling stuffed...really frustrating cuz I want that full feeling. We just have to be that more diligent in weighing our food. I also notice that I sometimes get full on 1 ounce of food depending on the time if day...good luck to all of us!

Yeh I just stop when I think iv had enough. But I stick to the recommended portion that my surgeon gave I'm following the rules lol. Today I had porridge for Breakfast and lunch made it really milky and then for dinner I had canneloni spinach and cheese was so lovely had half of one canneloni roll lots of sauce that's on my approved list which I was happy about. Yes good luck to you my dear.