Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my bypass working?

Hi everyone.

I'm Mel from London UK. I just had a bypass almost 2 weeks ago on the 14th September iv lost 11lbs which I am so so happy about but I'm not sure my bypass is working you might think I'm being ridiculous but I got sick of liquids so moved onto soft foods few days earlier than I was meant too because I got so bored of it. Iv been eating eggs I had 2 scrambled eggs this morning yesterday I had a Japanese Soup with soft skinny noodles and chicken took me 5 hours to eat it as I stopped and kept going back to it. I don't feel full to the point of I'm going to throw up is this weird? I ate a 90g pot of yogurt today even though I'm much slower than before but I managed to eat it and other people are saying I can only eat half a pot so how comes I am not feeling full to the brim? Sooo confused??

Sent from my SM-G901F using the BariatricPal App

You shouldnt eat thinking you will feel full. We have a nerve that isnt working right now to let you know when you are full. I am 4 months out and dont have a full feeling. But I will get symptoms of runny nose and things like that. You should be measuring how much you eat and not eat until its gone.

You shouldnt be eating noodles at this point. They expand in the pouch and you should be all about Proteins not any carbs or sugars.

You just started this way of life and you are bored of liquids and not following your plan, not measuring how much your eating. You can eat all day long if you want, but that isnt going to lead to weightloss.

Just because it fits doesn't mean you should eat that much. If you want food to pile up in your esophagus and have that stretch, or a leak then keep going down that road.

This is a tool, not a magic wand. You have to change your eating habits and be mindful of what and how much goes in.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

People don't throw up or feel full on slider foods. Soups, noodles and yogurt are slider foods and you actually could eat an unlimited amount of those. They go through to the intestines like pouring Water through a funnel.

When the nerves in your stomach heal and you start eating dense Protein you will feel restriction.

It is very easy to out eat your surgery. The more food you eat, the slower you will lose. Concentrate on eating less, rather than more food.< /p>

You shouldnt eat thinking you will feel full. We have a nerve that isnt working right now to let you know when you are full. I am 4 months out and dont have a full feeling. But I will get symptoms of runny nose and things like that. You should be measuring how much you eat and not eat until its gone.

You shouldnt be eating noodles at this point. They expand in the pouch and you should be all about Proteins not any carbs or sugars.

You just started this way of life and you are bored of liquids and not following your plan, not measuring how much your eating. You can eat all day long if you want, but that isnt going to lead to weightloss.

Just because it fits doesn't mean you should eat that much. If you want food to pile up in your esophagus and have that stretch, or a leak then keep going down that road.

This is a tool, not a magic wand. You have to change your eating habits and be mindful of what and how much goes in.

Good luck.

Hi.

Didn't really appreciate this comment This is so new to me I am following my diet plan thank you I do have my liquids also. You have no clue whether I measure or not so ask rather than assume....... thanks

People don't throw up or feel full on slider foods. Soups, noodles and yogurt are slider foods and you actually could eat an unlimited amount of those. They go through to the intestines like pouring Water through a funnel.

When the nerves in your stomach heal and you start eating dense Protein you will feel restriction.

It is very easy to out eat your surgery. The more food you eat, the slower you will lose. Concentrate on eating less, rather than more food.< /p>

Hi.

Ahhh okay yes I put a small amount of Soup in my bowl all the time eat it very slowly. Iv lost 11lbs already and 15lbs on the pre op diet. I must be doing something right?

Not necessarily.

Stick to the plan your surgeon gave you. Measure your foods and only eat/ drink what that amount is supposed to be. It's easy to get bored with liquids but it's imperative to give your body time to heal. chicken at not even two weeks out isn't the best idea. Neither is continually eating. My personal plan limits meals to 30 minutes. If it's not finished within that time frame it gets saved for later.

Good luck.

Hi.

Didn't really appreciate this comment This is so new to me I am following my diet plan thank you I do have my liquids also. You have no clue whether I measure or not so ask rather than assume....... thanks

1. You are not following your diet plan because you said you got bored with liquids and started eating other things early.

2. Measuring your food, you will find 2 eggs are too much to be eating.

There were no assumptions in my comment.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Hi.

1. You are not following your diet plan because you said you got bored with liquids and started eating other things early.

Good luck.

Bye now!

Yes, your bypass is working, but YOU aren't working your bypass.

Stick to your doctor's plan. Don't move on to the next phase until you are supposed to. The consequences aren't worth it. You've worked too hard and come too far to let a day or two of food boredom ruin your progress. Stay strong. You got this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, your bypass is working, but YOU aren't working your bypass.

Stick to your doctor's plan. Don't move on to the next phase until you are supposed to. The consequences aren't worth it. You've worked too hard and come too far to let a day or two of food boredom ruin your progress. Stay strong. You got this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Okay thank you so much I appreciate it. Back onto the liquids.

Good luck.

Hi.

Good luck.

Bye now!

No problem. You are so welcome!

The plan doesn't exist just for weightloss, especially at this early stage. You can easily kill yourself or destroy your new stomach while still losing weight. The plan exists to prevent serious health complications and/or death. The nerves in your stomach have been severed and will not reconnect for quite some time. As such, you simply won't feel when you are full but you very well may be stuffing your stomach to the point of extreme danger. The little keyhole incisions on your abdomen may not look like much and may not hurt much anymore, but I implore you to look at pictures or video of what is done to your stomach during this surgery; there is now a HUGE line of staples holding your fragile, tiny stomach together. Eating solid foods before it's time is just playing with fire, as you're basically rubbing solid food against a giant wound and risking getting pieces of this food stuck in the staples or incision, which can then get infected and kill you. Or maybe you will rip your new stomach open and leak food and other stuff into your abdominal cavity... which can also kill you. You're not only eating solid foods (and one of the most damaging and dense solid foods: meat protein) before you're supposed to, but you're eating to excess because you can't feel that full feeling yet. Seeking that full feeling is what got us here in the first place. That fact is, if you're always going to measure your eating habits by whether you feel full or not, you're quickly going to completely sabotage yourself. It's imperative, now more than ever, to measure exactly how much you will be eating and the exact foods you should be eating and do not exceed that. Also, just for a bit of reference, I'm over a year out (passed up the 13 month mark a week ago) and I can't eat two entire scrambled eggs in one sitting. My advice would be to proceed with extreme caution. You're not only putting your own life and future health at risk, but you're also in danger of becoming one of those scary statistic of failure and/or death after surgery simply via your own habits, which hurts everyone in the end. You've gone through all this work and come this far, why risk failure now? I wish you the best of luck and health moving forward.

The plan doesn't exist just for weightloss, especially at this early stage. You can easily kill yourself or destroy your new stomach while still losing weight. The plan exists to prevent serious health complications and/or death. The nerves in your stomach have been severed and will not reconnect for quite some time. As such, you simply won't feel when you are full but you very well may be stuffing your stomach to the point of extreme danger. The little keyhole incisions on your abdomen may not look like much and may not hurt much anymore, but I implore you to look at pictures or video of what is done to your stomach during this surgery; there is now a HUGE line of staples holding your fragile, tiny stomach together. Eating solid foods before it's time is just playing with fire, as you're basically rubbing solid food against a giant wound and risking getting pieces of this food stuck in the staples or incision, which can then get infected and kill you. Or maybe you will rip your new stomach open and leak food and other stuff into your abdominal cavity... which can also kill you. You're not only eating solid foods (and one of the most damaging and dense solid foods: meat protein) before you're supposed to, but you're eating to excess because you can't feel that full feeling yet. Seeking that full feeling is what got us here in the first place. That fact is, if you're always going to measure your eating habits by whether you feel full or not, you're quickly going to completely sabotage yourself. It's imperative, now more than ever, to measure exactly how much you will be eating and the exact foods you should be eating and do not exceed that. Also, just for a bit of reference, I'm over a year out (passed up the 13 month mark a week ago) and I can't eat two entire scrambled eggs in one sitting. My advice would be to proceed with extreme caution. You're not only putting your own life and future health at risk, but you're also in danger of becoming one of those scary statistic of failure and/or death after surgery simply via your own habits, which hurts everyone in the end. You've gone through all this work and come this far, why risk failure now? I wish you the best of luck and health moving forward.

Got it... thank you back onto liquids thanks again. Yeh it's still all new to me bit I hear ya!

It sounds to me that you aren't completely following your plan or that they didn't advise you well. You mentioned that you had chicken and you went back to eat it later over time. Is this outside the realm of meals? If so, that is definitely not conducive to weightloss, because you are eating around the restriction of the pouch by just waiting til it will fit and eating it. Also starting solids early can be really dangerous and has the potential to stretch your swollen pouch and cause damage including leaks and a pouch that will not be your best tool for the journey. Your body needs to heal. I know the liquids get so boring, but you really should have stayed on them for the full time and then waited to be advanced by your nutritionist to the puréed and then soft foods and on to proper solids. You also need to think of your pouch like a funnel. Eating Soups or whatever will slide right on through the bottom of your pouch(which is why it's referred to as slider foods) they also contain almost no Protein. To keep your muscles and hair in it's best shape, you need to focus on protein and protein and more protein. Don't waste real estate in your pouch on noodles and empty calories. I'm almost 11 months out now and I still don't eat Soup or noodles or anything like that. I focus on my Proteins first and if I have room after my weighed and measured portions of protein I will have veggies or occasionally some fruit and that's it. You don't need the other stuff and it takes time, but you will learn to love not eating them if you give yourself the chance to develop the new habits.