Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated beyond belief!

Its literally been 2 weeks and I've lost NO weight. I actually gained 3 pounds. I don't know what's going on. I don't want to start feeling like I did this for nothing. I don't want to start getting depressed. I read your stories about stalls all the time and I thought I was prepared for it. But I'm not. I'm starting to feel like I'm just not meant to be smaller.

Before you say it....YES I've increased my activity even though I didn't get clearance from the doc yet. I'm not overeating. I'm not eating bullsh*t. I'm actually hungry every few hours. I find myself eating very small meals every 3 hours. I thought hunger pains were supposed to go away! I'm only 21 days post op. In the beginning things were good. I lost 14 pounds in like a week. I don't understand. My period came 13 days after surgery. I gained 3 pounds and the scale hasn't moved since. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

Nothing is wrong with you. I was up also and now I am coming back down. It will come off the weight. I am one month post op and today finally the scale showed me coming down again. Keeping doing what your Dr told you and make sure you are getting in your 64 oz of Fluid each day.

We are all here to help each other and give support. Give it a few days and you will see the scale moving down again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I understand your reaction and underlying fears. We've all gone through it. The first couple of months you feel lost and might even have entertained second thoughts. I kept a personal video journal starting a year before my surgery, and all the way through until I reached goal. I go back sometimes and watch it and I definitely had moments just like yours. So don't feel alone.

Unfortunately the weight doesn't come off in a linear fashion. Sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. Sometimes you stay at the exact same weight for weeks on end. But if you're doing everything you're supposed to do the weight will eventually come off... in its own good time, so don't make the mistake of comparing your stats to someone else. Your body is adjusting to what amounts to major trauma. It's going to halt your progress now and again to reevaluate what the heck is going on. It's getting conflicting signals, one telling it to lose weight, and another more primal urge to hang onto the weight for optimal survival.

In the meantime, you're just going to have to develop some patience. Put the scale away if it's causing you added stress. Hopefully you took before pictures and measurements, because if you compare them to where you are now you might notice progress there that isn't evident in the scale numbers.

Hang in there and have faith. Best of luck!

@@myfatisnotaflaw

Are you taking something every day for acid? A PPI? You really shouldn't be hungry.

Are you drinking Water all day? I mean literally all day non stop? Sipping any time you are awake?

Are you regular?

I always gain with my period, and lose after. I had my period every 2 weeks for months, so that made my weight loss all over the map. It has finally fixed itself back to normal.

Also saying you aren't eating bull**** and that you are eating every 3 hours is not useful. That can mean absolutely anything. Do you track your food? How many calories are you getting in each day? How much Protein? How many carbs? Are you over 600 calories? Over 800? As a taller lady of African American descent, you need more Protein for muscle mass. Are you getting in over 100 grams of protein a day? Adding in more activity if your calories are low will slow your progress instead of speed it up. In the beginning just walking is enough to speed your weight loss and walking has the added benefit of helping keep you regular.

Do you take your measurements? Take them every 2 weeks for the first 6 months then monthly. You will see inch changes sometimes before scale changes.

I started with a high BMI and thought the weight would come off fast and in huge chunks and it didn't. I was discouraged in the beginning, even though I was losing very fast. With the hormonal changes and all the emotions you go through it is hard to be objective.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

The scale should not be the only way to measure your progress. There are non-scale values that also show that you are making progress like clothes fitting less snugly, you being able to survive on smaller meals and being more active etc. Focus on these while you wait for the scale to move... experience shows that it eventually does move.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much everyone. I can honestly say I DO see difference in the way my clothes are fitting and my bras. And I am truly grateful for that. To be honest I have been struggling getting in more than 1 litter of Fluid and 35g of Protein a day. Its like I feel full all of the time. But when I'm NOT feeling full I feel like I'm starving! Its SO weird!

@@myfatisnotaflaw The 3 lbs is from your period, Water retention and possibly Constipation. I am pre-op but had to come of my bc pills for surgery. I got my period and gained 7 lbs in 2 days (7 fricken pounds!!!). I am already down 5 of those pounds. Don't be discouraged. You lost 14 lbs in a week - that's incredible. Your body needs to adjust. Be sure you are getting in all of your Protein and Water, don't exercise too much until cleared (you don't want a hernia). Stay off the scale for now!!! You've got this - stay strong and positive!!!

Thank you so much everyone. I can honestly say I DO see difference in the way my clothes are fitting and my bras. And I am truly grateful for that. To be honest I have been struggling getting in more than 1 litter of Fluid and 35g of Protein a day. Its like I feel full all of the time. But when I'm NOT feeling full I feel like I'm starving! Its SO weird!

That's far too few of both - you need to increase that drastically in order to heal and lose weight. It's probably the stomach acid that makes you feel starving. Increase fluids and Protein - you'll see the scale move in no time!

Its literally been 2 weeks and I've lost NO weight. I actually gained 3 pounds. I don't know what's going on. I don't want to start feeling like I did this for nothing. I don't want to start getting depressed. I read your stories about stalls all the time and I thought I was prepared for it. But I'm not. I'm starting to feel like I'm just not meant to be smaller.

Before you say it....YES I've increased my activity even though I didn't get clearance from the doc yet. I'm not overeating. I'm not eating bullsh*t. I'm actually hungry every few hours. I find myself eating very small meals every 3 hours. I thought hunger pains were supposed to go away! I'm only 21 days post op. In the beginning things were good. I lost 14 pounds in like a week. I don't understand. My period came 13 days after surgery. I gained 3 pounds and the scale hasn't moved since. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

None of us lose at a constant or steady rate. We all experience stalls and weight fluctuations. If you intend to lose a significant amount of weight you will experience stalls. Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process.

Just about everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery.

Just follow your program.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein (what is your Protein target?) and at least 64 oz Fluid.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise when cleared.

Stay off the scale.< /p>

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall.

Are you taking a PPI? Stomach acid can mimic hunger.

You need to get a lot more Protein. You are starving. No wonder you are hungry.

@@myfatisnotaflaw

You won't lose weight on those calories. You didn't answer are you taking a PPI for the acid? You shouldn't be hungry.

Have you been back to the Dr? You should be able to eat and drink more.

Just 35g of Protein a day is going to make you sick and slow your recovery. 60g is the bare minimum for any adult. What you just posted here is that you are not even breaking 400 calories a day probably with that amount of Protein. That is starvation, you will never lose if you are eating like that. Your body is going to start breaking down your muscles for energy.

Please see the Dr ASAP.

To answer your questions....nope...not taking PPI. Any suggestions? Also I'm only taking a Multivitamin once a day. That's about all of the supplements I'm taking. So it sounds like everyone is saying

1..stay off the scale

2. Drink more fluids

3. More Protein

4. Look into PPI

5. Stalls are totally normal

I thank you ALL for your responses. You have no idea how each of you have helped me.

@@myfatisnotaflaw

Your doctor didn't prescribe one? Your stomach is till producing enough acid for a full size stomach, it takes a few months for it to adjust to the new size.

Get some Prilosec, you should be less hungry, not hungry at all after 4 to 7 days.

Please see your doctor and eat more.

I asked my Dr about my slow loss. We get a slip that shows weight, bmi, Water, fat ...... He said track the day loss the pound catch up. He also said we can fluctuate 6-8 pounds Water weight each day. Take care

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App