Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long before you started noticing changes?

Hello everyone, I'm scheduled for surgery on Thursday (Sept 22). How long was it before you started to notice changes (weight loss, eating habits, different cravings, clothes fitting differently, etc)? Interested to hear some success stories to take my mind off of food cravings lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

food cravings stopped immediately. I have told the story several times now where I went to the store after I got okayed for soft foods and walked by the pastries that used to rule my life. Part of my brain went "oooh, that would count as 'soft' food" and the other part of my brain that was imagining eating it went "eh. doesn't seem so good".

Eating habits had to change immediately. Right after surgery, it's a chore to get all the Fluid and Protein in. I'm on a full diet now, but still can only eat 4-5oz of pudding consistency foods and only about 2-3oz of solid foods. So meal planning has to be a thing, so that I can get all of my Protein and nutrients in. Hubby will dish what he thinks a small serving is, and it's still 3 times what I can actually eat. LOL.

I had been worried about changing pant sizes too quickly, but I'm 4 weeks out and right now it's my tops that are starting to look like clown wear. That started by about week 2 but is getting full blown at this point. My pants are looser, and my "fat pants" have had to go in the giveaway box, but they haven't changed as fast as my tops size.

I'm so thrilled with my sleeve. It makes some things about life a little challenging, like having to plan meals always. But it's so worth it.

@@theantichick thanks for your response. It gives me hope. I'm more excited than nervous and I have wondered how long it took people to notice changes. Even on this liquid diet, it was rough at first and I swore it wouldn't get easier but I really don't crave certain foods as much and it's only been a couple of days! Congrats on your sleeve and I hope to see more from you!

WOW 3 more days. So exciting!!! I got my sleeve late May. It seems like I have had it forever.

Right after surgery, like day 1 you may feel regret, remorse, doubt, this is all normal. It passes quickly too.

Sipping Water feels like a chore. Just trying to get in a few oz in may take over an hour. This too passes.

Make sure you start walking soon. This helps rid your body of possible gas leftover from surgery. Also, gets you ready for your exercise routine. Exercise is a must after you are cleared by your surgeon. Don't rush that either. Remember you are going to be healing and that's your #1 priority.

Try not to rush your food stages. Your nutritionist will set out guidelines for you too follow. Don't cheat and don't push it. It takes up such a short amount of time to get through the stages. Your new tummy only has one chance to heal. Don't jeopardize that.

One day at a time and remember you have a pretty big support team here. Ask for advice, keep us up to date and stay positive!!!

Best of Luck on your journey...

@@hbrhonda thank you so much for the advice! Yes 3 days and I am so excited! It's nice to know there are so many others I can look to for guidance and support. Thank you!

@tiff291 I would agree that the changes take place immediately for most of us for some of the things you mentioned.

Not sure what your stats are ht/wt etc. but for me

weight loss- happened in the first several days. 14 lbs!

eating habits- Changed immediately. There's something about having 80% of your stomach cut off that kinda drives it home for you both physically and mentally. Once you're not feeling so much like a "fresh" post op it can be easy to give in to head hunger. Remember this surgery is a tool. It won't stop you from putting food in your mouth (potato chips, ice cream, cookies) that will make this whole process useless unless you change your eating habits. follow your post surgical guidelines, if you have questions talk to your surgeon and dietician that's what they are there for.

Different cravings- not there yet--- But I don't really have cravings all that much. I think my last craving was hot sauce so I just put hot sauce on my turkey, or rotiserrie chicken for a few days and that hit the spot.

Clothes fitting differently- after about 10lbs lost things started feeling looser, clothes started fitting properly, after about 25-30 it was time to at least buy another size pants to transition into. Could still wear the old ones-- I just like my clothes to fit a little snuggier.

Feeling lighter and more energetic- 6-8 weeks post op. For some it happens sooner others a little later but I felt ready to reintroduce myself to the world at about 7 or 8 weeks post op. I wanted to go everywhere and do everything.

People noticing weight loss- For those who knew they would always say I was losing every time I'd see them. For example co workers who didn't know started asking me hey-- you look like you're losing weight! This was about 8-9 weeks post op.

I am now 11 weeks post op-- tried on some jeans the other day. I was being pretty ambitious pulling a size 10. Convinced I wouldn't be able to get them on they slipped over my hips (SHOCK) they buttoned around my belly-- but they would not comfortably zip. Would they in 2-3 weeks probably. But I just gladly bought the 12's. (Previously a size 18). I like them so much they have a booty booster and and ab technology built in! I will go back this week and buy the 10's if they are still there just to have them for my next size change. I love dark dark denim wash and it's hard to find a good pair. SO Good luck to you!!!!! I'll be waiting on your updates :)

@@Candygyrl thank you for your input and for the guidance! It helps! Currently I am at 254 but it could be more now with the liquid diet, just haven't wanted to put myself back on the scale yet lol. That is all helpful and thank you again!

@@tiff291

When I was not able to eat solids, I had cravings. Lots of cravings. Not chewing for a month or so (when you include the pre-op diet) will do that to you. It was just head hunger and I occupied myself. Once I started on soft foods the discomfort changed my opinion of food and for the first 6 months I was mostly afraid of food, because even day to day that amount of food I could comfortably eat, would change. One day 3 ounces would be fine, next day maybe only 2.

My clothes had to be replaced at 6 weeks and since then it has been an every 3-4 week purge of clothes. Which has been fun and terrible at the same time. My body adjusts a lot and my shape is in constant flux (except my boobs which are big and here to stay). I have gone from a 28/30 to a size 12 or 14 depending on the brand.

As far as noticing changes. Well I must have been wearing some REALLY tight clothes. I was stuffed into a 16 at surgery. Now I am in a 14 comfortably after 35 lbs. I had LapBand before my sleeve so I have boxes of clothes all the way down to size 8. I am trying to just be positive about what I have lost, this being a revision I am losing a lot slower the second time around. This is my LapBand before and after pic. I am holding off till I get to goal weight before I post new sleeve pics post-92802-0-53172200-1474309854_thumb.png

I'm almost 8 weeks out.

I noticed the morning after surgery that my tastes had changed. The nurse gave me my favorite yogurt- I couldn't eat it cause it tasted like super sweet chemicals. Yuck.

I didn't really have any gas pain after surgery. A little sore abdomen (like worked out too hard) but not really uncomfortable.

In the first 2 weeks post op lost #14. But I seem to lose from the extremities first- my face lost it, then my rings are too loose (down a full ring size in 2 weeks?!?) and my shoes are loose.

Now aT almost 8 weeks- I'm down 26# since surgery.

I don't crave most of the stuff I did before - although I do enjoy a very small slice of thin crust pepperoni pizza now & then (ok by dr & nut).

@@OutsideMatchInside thank you for your input! Wow that's a big jump from sizes! I understand the cravings and I hope they will go away eventually. I don't want to hinder myself or forget why I'm doing this. Thanks again for your input!

As far as noticing changes. Well I must have been wearing some REALLY tight clothes. I was stuffed into a 16 at surgery. Now I am in a 14 comfortably after 35 lbs. I had LapBand before my sleeve so I have boxes of clothes all the way down to size 8. I am trying to just be positive about what I have lost, this being a revision I am losing a lot slower the second time around. This is my LapBand before and after pic. I am holding off till I get to goal weight before I post new sleeve pics attachicon.gif ortiz.png

Wow! You can do it! Just focus on the long term goal, being healthy!

I'm almost 8 weeks out.

I noticed the morning after surgery that my tastes had changed. The nurse gave me my favorite yogurt- I couldn't eat it cause it tasted like super sweet chemicals. Yuck.

I didn't really have any gas pain after surgery. A little sore abdomen (like worked out too hard) but not really uncomfortable.

In the first 2 weeks post op lost #14. But I seem to lose from the extremities first- my face lost it, then my rings are too loose (down a full ring size in 2 weeks?!?) and my shoes are loose.

Now aT almost 8 weeks- I'm down 26# since surgery.

I don't crave most of the stuff I did before - although I do enjoy a very small slice of thin crust pepperoni pizza now & then (ok by dr & nut).

Wow those are quite some changes in just 8 weeks. I'm happy for you! Thank you for your comments, that puts me at ease a little bit about overdoing it. Congrats on your surgery!

I'm 14 months out and at goal. The difference in food came pretty much immediately. My hunger was nonexistent at the beginning. It doesn't last forever, but it helps you to make lasting changes in your eating habits. A lot of the cravings were still there, but the longer I went without them the easier it became. Another asset was finally feeling the full sensation. I never felt full prior to surgery. This didn't happen right away, but I can still feel the restriction even this far out. Although I can definitely eat more.

As far as noticing the weight loss, I still have trouble seeing it myself. Mentally I know it, by the numbers on the scale and smaller clothing sizes, but it's like there's a disconnect with my eyes. This doesn't happen to everyone though.

I took a full six weeks off and when I went back to work everyone noticed the difference already, and that blew me away. Just take things one day at a time and before you know it a year has passed, you'll be surprised at how fast it goes. Best of luck and congrats!

I am 5 weeks out today and everything still fits- just looser. I went to a party yesterday and wore a dress I haven't worn in years and no one noticed- 25 pounds lost and no one noticed - that was a bummer- but just plugging along ;)

I still like all the same food except sweet drinks