Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i had my first carbonated drink, a 8.4 ounce sugar lightly carbonated redbull. It was the best beverage I've had since surgery and i tolerated it pretty well, but i don't plan om making it a habbit. Im 2 months and 12 days out and 45 pounds down. I want honest opinions about carbonated drinks and why we shouldn't drink them and how do they effect us.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I was allowed to have carbonation from 2 weeks post-op as long as it was sugar free. So no restriction on carbonation basically from my doctor. But in my experience drinking anything bubbly too soon after eating can be kind of painful. Happened to me with seltzer. But I happily drink sparkling Water throughout the day as part of my water intake.

Edited by higher

I was allowed to have carbonation from 2 weeks post-op as long as it was sugar free. So no restriction on carbonation basically from my doctor. But in my experience drinking anything bubbly too soon after eating can be kind of painful. Happened to me with seltzer. But I happily drink sparkling Water throughout the day as part of my Water intake.

Thanks for sharing. This is an intriguing topic for me.

My mom was sleeved about three years ago, and she drinks one bottle of Coke every day. She sips on it from morning until night. (This is in addition to the water and non-calorie beverages she drinks throughout the day.) She tells me that it is basically flat for most of the day.

I am a huge diet coke addict, and leaving it behind is something that I am willing to do, even though it will about kill me. If it comes down to having to drink it "flat," I'd rather not have it. But if there is a chance to have it in its regular form MUCH later down the road, that would be awesome. (For some reason, I doubt I'll be able to do that. But, I can always ask and see...)

If you can tolerate it, I see no problem. What I DO see an issue with is drinking carbonated drinks with sugar in them. Drinking empty calories post op (or anytime) is never a good idea.

Oh, and in before the "Carbonation will stretch your sleeve" people. That is a myth.

I'm 2 years 3 months out and I have Diet Coke every day. I have to put it over ice. I can't do right out of the can. I'm at 122 and holding since a little over one year.

No issues. It took me probably 6 months plus to tolerate carbonation.

I'm 2 years 3 months out and I have Diet Coke every day. I have to put it over ice. I can't do right out of the can. I'm at 122 and holding since a little over one year.

No issues. It took me probably 6 months plus to tolerate carbonation.

I am an "over-ice" kind of guy by default, so that is great. Thanks for the reply and helping me to keep some hope that I might be able to bring it back in moderation much later on...

"Carbonation will stretch sleeve" That is a myth.

@@CarlAllen_95

True, the above statement is a myth

in fear for my life LOL

i don't drink soda - my choice

(well maybe sometimes ;))

slurp, slurp, hiccup!!

45 lbs down - woo hoo

party dance

kathy

congrats

kathy

Almost three years out and it still hurts my sleeve. I was a Diet Pepsi addict... Multiple cans a day. I gave it up before surgery and am thrilled it doesn't have the same appeal to me or hold over me. I am also thrilled not to incur the expense--more money to spend on cute clothes! Bikinis and my new addiction.

If you can tolerate it, I see no problem. What I DO see an issue with is drinking carbonated drinks with sugar in them. Drinking empty calories post op (or anytime) is never a good idea.

Oh, and in before the "Carbonation will stretch your sleeve" people. That is a myth.

This sounds like great news! Do you have a source for this? I would love to find out more. Thanks!

This sounds like great news! Do you have a source for this? I would love to find out more. Thanks!

The thing is there are no studies that show it DOES stretch your sleeve so the burden of proof is really there. And most doctors current thinking is that a 1. The stretchy part of the stomach is the fundus and that is removed during a sleeve and 2. The small amount of air pressure shouldn't be enough to stretch the tough material that's left. I was listening to a great podcast where a doctor said they were afraid of air pressure and straws in the early days of the sleeve but after years of doing it and using air pressure to expand and test the stomach during laproacopic surgery they realized that was far more air pressure than carbonation bubbles or straws would ever introduce so how could those cause stretching?

You can listen here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/weight-loss-surgery-podcast/id662443588?mt=2&i=375162110

I loved coca cola before surgery - and was pleased to have given up soda - and then my Vitamin B levels came back too high at my 3 month and 6 month check ups. so my Vitamin Water zero has become an occasional treat rather than daily beverage.

I know, a lot of people just drink Water, and don't get me wrong I love to drink water, but sometimes you want something else - so a couple of weeks ago I picked up some stevia sweetened soda from the grocery store, and have been tolerating them without any problem at all.

and right now, I have a terrible head cold, and wow does that icy cold carbonation feel good on my throat.

I have no idea how it would affect someone with a pouch, but I had the sleeve and it isn't going to stretch, so I do not worry about that at all.

Here is a video explaining common myths by an amazing bariatric surgeon, Dr Matthew Weiner from Michigan. I highly suggest people watch all of his videos on Youtube. Very informative and no nonsense. He's amazing. Edited to add: But he is VERY against soda. Diet and regular. And his #8 myth is pretty controversial in the WLS world.