Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know what weight you should be?

@@MaryCatherine

The top of normal BMI at 5'4" is 151 pounds. At about two years out, there is a rebound of about 20 pounds. So to stay at normal BMI you would want to lose another 20 pounds and be too skinny for the next year.

"Many people are too skinny during the second year after weight loss surgery. It is almost impossible to find someone who is still too skinny in their third year."

Thank you. This makes me feel better. Somehow down 3 more pounds this morning!! WTH?! I don't remember losing 3 pounds in one day during my rapidly losing phase. I'm sure it's a fluke....

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

This is a really interesting thread. I chose an arbitrary goal for my ticker. I'm going to remember @@Babbs advice and try to just keep going until I don't lose anymore. Seems wise.

@@Daisee68

I lost weight up to 15 months out.

If it's really bothering you, up your calories a bit with an extra snack of cheese or nuts or even treat yourself with some nice dark chocolate :) Sometimes it's a balancing act to find that sweet spot to maintain your weight.

@@MaryCatherine

Great advice. I love seeing longer term vets chime in!

I pulled a goal weight out of the air. My surgeon never asked or told me what it should be. Maybe that'll come up after surgery. It's hard for me to even imagine being 150 lbs - so I'll see how I feel if I get there. ????

Weight and pounds has nothing to do with it...BMI's are a gauge only and not very accurate.

Only healthy way to know is by Body Fat %....

BMI can say you are overweight, but if your body fat % is low to normal, then you are good...very good.And to loose any more weight would be very harmful.

On the flipside, you may think your weight is what it should be, and the BMI charts agree. But if your body fat % is high, then you are still unhealthy and at great risk for all sorts of problems. You still need to burn off some of that fat.

Body fat is the killer...not weight.

@@Babbs

You had to say dark chocolate! That is my guilty pleasure.....

I'm struggling a bit with my true goal weight. My original goal was 165, and I'm now a hair over 162. I would be happy staying at this weight (and not having to buy more clothes for a while), but my body seems to have other ideas. I'm eating as much as I can each day, but I'm still losing. So, I don't know if I should let my body decide my ultimate goal for me or try harder to stop the weight loss.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You and I have the same doctor! I had a good discussion with him prior to surgery and I told him I remember being comfortable at 180 and then he said he thought I could get to 160. Really? That is beyond my imagination, but now I see you in that area so it is inspiring. Overall though, my friend who is 3 yrs out says your body will ultimately decide.

The number I sort of use is based on the statistical average. But I know that is just an average. I too would like to do a little better than that and considering my experience so far I believe I will. Picturing myself at 150 is also difficult for me. Everyday I'm surprised that the weight stays off and keeps going down. If the weight loss stopped now, it would still be so worth it. To me it is such an odd feeling that I am actually losing weight with less effort than when I tried over and over so hard and couldn't lose anything. I'm just doing the best I can, having a blast on this wonderful insane ride and I will see where it takes me. Enjoy the ride!

Weight and pounds has nothing to do with it...BMI's are a gauge only and not very accurate.

Only healthy way to know is by Body Fat %....

BMI can say you are overweight, but if your body fat % is low to normal, then you are good...very good.And to loose any more weight would be very harmful.

On the flipside, you may think your weight is what it should be, and the BMI charts agree. But if your body fat % is high, then you are still unhealthy and at great risk for all sorts of problems. You still need to burn off some of that fat.

Body fat is the killer...not weight.

This is exactly right.

I was (and am) proud of my weight loss and my "normal" BMI---until I had my body fat % tested. Even though I'm pretty physically fit, do a nice mixture of cardio AND resistance/strength training, my body fat % is 31. Kind of blew me away. To be fair, I started at a 50%.

Now my primary wants me to lose 5 pounds BUT work on building more muscle at the same time.

It never ends :/

I want to be 125 but I woukd throw a party if I reach 140.

The top of normal BMI at 5'4" is 151 pounds. At about two years out, there is a rebound of about 20 pounds. So to stay at normal BMI you would want to lose another 20 pounds and be too skinny for the next year.

Many people are too skinny during the second year after weight loss surgery. It is almost impossible to find someone who is still too skinny in their third year.

Did you read a study that said 20? I know most people do "rebound" but I would love to see studies that show numbers.

Mine was only 5-7.

Totally agree on the body fat thing too. If you can get a DEXA scan or equivalent it will tell you LOADS! At my heaviest I was 52% body fat and my lowest 17%. Right now I'm at 18% which is why I don't care about the 5-7lb regain.

Many people are too skinny during the second year after weight loss surgery. It is almost impossible to find someone who is still too skinny in their third year.

Did you read a study that said 20? I know most people do "rebound" but I would love to see studies that show numbers.

Mine was only 5-7.

Just the average my surgeon quotes. Some gain a lot more, some a lot less. Mine was 12