Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can of worms: meet a can opener.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Can of worms: meet a can opener.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Love this....

I had a lifetime soda habit and I'm over 50. I could not stop. They owned me. A huge amount of my budget was devoted to them. I kidded myself that the diet ones were harmless. But the truth is while they may have zero calories, they are designed to make you crave more. I was still drinking them right up to the day before my surgery. And I won't kid you the craving afterwards was pretty bad, just as much as it was all in my head. I've now gone 14 months without them and the freedom is nirvana.

I know there are post ops who went back to them after surgery and say they have no issue. So the reality isn't "when" you can try one, but rather are you really sure you "want" to. This is really a question that only you can answer in the end.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question. But I gave up soda cold turkey about two years ago. Tried a sip about a year ago, it was so sweet and tasted like chemicals to me that I couldn't stomach it. But I do remember the hook it had on me and how enjoyable they were. Not knocking you for wanting to try a sip, I understand the curiosity.

Hi I will say one thing it isn't worth it to me. Now I'm 3 years out from my RNY and I was down town with my daughter and her son who at the time was 5 years old. I had a extreme headache with nothing to drink. I wanted to take my TYLENOL. So I ask my Grandson ( who doesn't drink after no one but his mom) if I could have a sip of his Mountain Dew. Which he let me!! BIG surprise there. So I took a very small sip, when it hit my pouch it felt like I had drank Draino had hit my pouch!! Now mind you I had not had a pop for a long time. As I was told by my SUREGON that pop is a huge NO NO!! It can lead to stretching your pouch. Now I don't know which surgery you had but if you did have the RNY I can truly say it hurt like the dickins!! I won't be doing that again!!

I was told never to drink them again, and I haven't. Like one of the other posters, I went cold turkey about two years ago.

It's not a good idea!!!!!! Just a bad habit you don't want to get back into. Plus, it just makes you feel miserable - or at least the sip I tried did. Ick!!

-Kelly

I have no problem. I drink and enjoy diet sodas.

I was told that the carbonation will make your pouch expand.

My surgery revision from band to bypass is Dec 1st. I drank soda after my band and screwed up my pouch and was able to eat too much. My nut and my Dr say no soda ever again after bypass. It's no biggie for me I gave up soda 2 years ago and muchbprefer crystal light and Water. I'm not giving up my restriction again. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the BariatricPal App