Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet after Sleeve (fear of my own sabotage)

So maybe the sleeve is no diffrent then any other diet.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using the BariatricPal App

You need to learn more at orientation. It's not a diet - both surgeries require a lifestyle change. You can fail or succeed at either. If it were the same as any other diet - insurance wouldn't be paying thousands to have it done.

You need to learn more at orientation. It's not a diet - both surgeries require a lifestyle change. You can fail or succeed at either. If it were the same as any other diet - insurance wouldn't be paying thousands to have it done.

Good point!

There is no way short of crack addiction or AIDS that will allow you to lose weight without getting your mind focused and disciplined for the task.

Spend time and do research

Get professional help to get your head wrapped around the effort that will be needed......do this first. Get yourself in the mental place where you will do what must be done to support weight loss.

Do this first and then the sleeve will be a tremendous tool for you.

Free your mind and yer arse will follow.....

That's a joke, my insurance paid nothing for my sleeve. I paid out of pocket. Almost 12k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

That's a joke, my insurance paid nothing for my sleeve. I paid out of pocket. Almost 12k.

eek! Mine would be paid for though this program, although someone else on here just informed me they often dont do Sleeves but RYN....which im unsure about. Ill continue my research!

what clinic are going through in Ontario?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Toronto Western Hospital is where i've been referred

You're missing my point - many insurances cover WLS and if it is the same as any other diet (or Weight Watchers) they would not pay. It's far more successful than a "diet".

I also did Dr. Bernstein years ago and wish I'd kept on top of the slow creep back up. I'm 10 days post surgery and it's the best decision I ever made. I'm not hungry much at all and I get full fast. Yes I've heard it's possible to sabotage with this, but I the way I feel about it is that I've been given this amazing opportunity and so I want to protect it my investment. It's still going to be work but it's like climbing a hill instead of Mt. Everest with this tool so far.

Also the thing that finalised my decision is the depressing stats about how low the percentage is of people who keep weight off long term through diet and exercise. The stats are much, much better for WLS patients including VSG. You will find examples of people who regain and sabotage and you will find many examples of success. Statistically the odds are in your favour for success with the surgery. You just have to do your part.

Edited by Shell Renewed

. I can tell you that I was completely on board and committed to every attempt to loose weight before. But I got HUNGRY. How is the sleeve different? I am not inappropriately hungry anymore and loosing the fat so because body fat is hormonally active I will not have all of that influencing my choices.

One last thought. If I am not successful I am going to go down fighting.

. I can tell you that I was completely on board and committed to every attempt to loose weight before. But I got HUNGRY. How is the sleeve different? I am not inappropriately hungry anymore and loosing the fat so because body fat is hormonally active I will not have all of that influencing my choices.

Agree 100%. I have tried every diet in the book. I failed every time, the best I ever did was losing 40 pounds on Weight Watchers, but I didn't reach my goal, quit, and gained it all back and more.

@@stefanie0804 when you have dieted in the past were you hungry? I wasn't a fat kid but I was always a big eater, I could never miss a meal, and it took way too much to fill me up.

I can't wait to have my sleeve, I can't wait to feel satisfied with a small to normal amount of food.

@@stefanie0804

This is just my opinion but from years of observing people that have had WLS, the people that "eat the same just smaller amounts" always fail in the long run. They never use the surgery for the mental reset it gives you.

If you really learn nutrition and learn what healthy eating is, you never have to diet. You will never gain weight on veggies, it is impossible to eat enough, spinach for example, to gain weight.

I think using WW is a waste of money and effort. People can just learn to eat properly in the first place.

You have to really mentally be in a place where you want to eat healthy for life and and for the health benefits, not just to lose weight. If you adopt of way of eating that you like and is healthy, you never have to diet and you never have to obsessively watch what you eat.

Like @@Christinamo7 said, the difference with the sleeve is, if your surgery was done correctly and your follow up care is correct (with acid controllers), then you are not hungry. Not being hungry for a solid 6 months or more makes it easy to adapt a healthy eating life style. It because a normal life style choice and not a diet. In the end you feel so much better that you enjoy it and there is no reason to "cheat" and lots of things don't appeal to you. You can't really understand what it is like to not be hungry at all for months on end, it is just something you have to experience, but it makes it 1000x easier to eat healthy.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Agree 100%. I have tried every diet in the book. I failed every time, the best I ever did was losing 40 pounds on Weight Watchers, but I didn't reach my goal, quit, and gained it all back and more.

@@stefanie0804 when you have dieted in the past were you hungry? I wasn't a fat kid but I was always a big eater, I could never miss a meal, and it took way too much to fill me up.

I can't wait to have my sleeve, I can't wait to feel satisfied with a small to normal amount of food.

Yes I've always been hungry, and i find that i look for comfort foods, i dont feel "full" for example till ived had a carb a salad needed somthing more then just salad to make me feel full... maybe because i grew up in an Italian family u ate everything on ur plate and it was all carbs!

Everyone's experiences are different. Any WLS is not a magic fix. We all need to eat healthy and exercise--just for our health. I never got the "gift" of not feeling hungry like some had. The gift I did get was actually knowing when I am full---not sure I ever really knew this before. That being said- I could pack in a lot of calories if I am not following my Protein first then veggies...