Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SNACKS... flapjacked mighty muffins..how much sugar to dump

I have seen several people post RNY post they eat Flapjacked muffins and pancake mix also. The muffins are around 190-200 calories but have 20 grams of Protein in them. I was looking at the label and it says 10g of sugar Can you eat that much sugar without dumping?

Everyone is different with what they dump.

I'm only 4 months and haven't had anything with any bigish amount of sugar in it because I don't want to go there. I want to use my honeymoon stage and milk it for what it's worth! LOL

I guess if you tried a 1/2 of one, you could see how you felt on that?

It's not about, "how much can I get away with without dumping." It's about completely changing your ways. Muffins and pancakes (even the so-called healthy ones) can have up to 40-some carbs in just 1 serving. It isnt always about sugars. I dump with high carb items too (like the ones you mentioned.) save testing those waters until you're at least 1 year out or close to goal. Not sure how far out you are, but that's a slippery slope.

Ok I give. What are "flapjacked" mighty muffins? Not that I'd eat them...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's not about, "how much can I get away with without dumping." It's about completely changing your ways. Muffins and pancakes (even the so-called healthy ones) can have up to 40-some carbs in just 1 serving. It isnt always about sugars. I dump with high carb items too (like the ones you mentioned.) save testing those waters until you're at least 1 year out or close to goal. Not sure how far out you are, but that's a slippery slope.

Hi! When you say you Dump do you mean pain in stomach and/or vomiting? Or does that include diarrhea as well?

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App

I was asking because i was told its an easy way to get some Protein that they are very light do not expand in your stomach and have 20 grams of Protein not because its a muffin. This brand is recommended for bariatric patients. So thats why I was asking. I did weight watchers prior to surgery and lost 44 pounds in 3 months so Im certainly already in mode for eating well.. so please do not assume I was asking for purposes of having something I shouldnt.

and for those asking Flapjacked is a product that is a high protein form of something you already eat Like a muffin or pancake, The people had an autistic child who was fussy and they designed a line of food around things he would eat with the benefits of added protein for energy for this son. They service a lot of the bariatric community. But I was questioning the amount of sugar grams.

I have seen several people post RNY post they eat Flapjacked muffins and pancake mix also. The muffins are around 190-200 calories but have 20 grams of Protein in them. I was looking at the label and it says 10g of sugar Can you eat that much sugar without dumping?

I think dumping happens with different foods for many. I am not Bypass but was told to keep sugars under 5gms per serving. I believe there's some good pancake recipes that would have less sugar (high protein cottage cheese pancakes, good morning pancakes from eggface). The sugars in the flapjacked ones may not cause dumping but could trigger additional sugar cravings. Let us know if you try them.

You'll have to try eating the muffins and pancakes to find out if you dump. We don't know how much sugar you'll dump on. I've dumped on 8gs of sugars and 15 carbs, which is about the stats of your "healthy" muffins. You asked for advice and we've given it. Doesnt mean We'll all agree with food choices. Think about it: you asked, in a bariatric group, mind you, if you'll dump from muffins or pancakes (things we really shouldnt be eating- things that landed us on the surgeon's table to begind with)- so yep! You'll probably get defensive at some of our answers when we tell you these aren't good choices to be making, especially if you havent met goal yet, especially if you are not even a year out. So, go ahead and test the sugar waters for yourself. As someone already stated, people dump with different things, amounts, ect. I dump if i eat too quickly or drink too quickly.

I was told that 9 grams of sugar was my number to watch for though I do think that 10 is close enough to allow once in a while. I eat those Flapjacked muffins and never dump with them. I have had regular muffins and totally dump from them. And by dump, for me, I mean my heart starts pounding, I get lightheaded, a bit sweaty, and feel a bit like I might faint, and get very weak. It has never resulted in diarrhea. Once in a while, it might lead to vomiting but I don't think that is from the dumping. That can happen if I eat too fast or too much.

I eat those Flapjacked muffins a lot but am pulling back a bit now. I now use them only when I am really craving cake or something bad--this is my substitute until I can figure out how to not have these horrible cravings. But, I was well over a year out before I tried them. You can also make your own with your Protein powder. I have never been successful with that but there are recipes on this site for them. That way you are controlling the ingredients more.

For sugar cravings, beyond the obvious keeping your sugars low, I've found that NOW brand Super Cortisol Support helps with sugar cravings. I've had no ill effects from it. I'm over a year out, and have gained some of my appetite back, so it helps with that as well.

Doots,

When I dump I sweat, get lightheaded, very nauseated, i dont throw up, but my Mom (who had RNY 10 years ago) has thrown up and had diarrhea. I get more stomach sick. And it takes about an hour to pass. I dump from even drinking too quickly. It varies for everyone. Just putting this out there--- A better way, besides a muffin, to get 20 grams of Protein would be to drink a Protein shake. I can eat chicken breasts now (protein gets easier when you can eat solid foods, obviously) and chicken breasts have well over 20 grams of Protein. Never heard of any bariatric surgeon approved muffins...Ever.

@@StefanieSparklePants Note that, though they are called muffins, they aren't really muffins. Just like the "mug cakes" that people make out of their Protein Powder aren't really cakes. But they are "cake-like" especially with the texture.

Esskay77,

Oh, I know what these are. It's cake! Basically. No tip-toeing around it. Cake! Lol There's Protein in it, sure. But even when you look at net carbs, it's a bit much. At least for a bariatric patient. And they run over 200 calories, the ones I saw. That's too many calories for a snack. It's a slippery slope. It's also a lot of sugar. Not fructose sugar either. A better alternative than actual cake, for sure. But still cake. That's like the gal in my old bariatric group trying to tell me ginger ale was ok, because it wasn't a real soda. Lol.