Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Black and White Thinking.

So I'm now on the pre-op diet. Anyone else think if they don't sick to it 100% they will fail?

Anyone else been able to stick to it 100%? If you didn't, what did you do?

Really struggling with my decision today. I'm getting overwhelmed with the anxiety. Trying to focus on the positive.

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

Yes. I struggle with that type of thinking even now so many years after my vsg. You are almost there and everyone has doubts just before. None of us is perfect. Not a single soul. We all entertain these frightening thoughts. Hopefully you have some support system around you? A friend? Family? Shrink? Doc? I had that and i took an anti anxiety pill. Did try to distract with yoga and other weird quirky stuff. Don't aim for perfect. Aim for good enough

Bruno Bettleheimwrote a book many years ago called the good enough parent. Most parents are just good enoughand most kids turn out just fine. You will, too.

One thing that helped me is to focus on what I COULD have instead of what I couldn't. Drink lots of Water. Eat sugar-free Popsicles and drink broth if allowed. Drink all the recommended shakes if that is your program. This is not the time to restrict.

If you have questions about what you are allowed, then call your NUT.

The pre-op diet is temporary. It is designed so that you can have the safest and best surgery experience. It is for your benefit.

You can do it!

Our surgeon joked to a large group that he didn't want to operate and find a hamburger in our stomachs, I often thought of that, but I do r member eating a few things on the sly, and it all turned out great!

You'll never be 100% perfect, 100% of the time. If you think that, you are setting yourself up to fail. Everyone slips up, everyone has bad days. Its what you do with the rest of the time that matters.

Yes. I struggle with that type of thinking even now so many years after my vsg. You are almost there and everyone has doubts just before. None of us is perfect. Not a single soul. We all entertain these frightening thoughts. Hopefully you have some support system around you? A friend? Family? Shrink? Doc? I had that and i took an anti anxiety pill. Did try to distract with yoga and other weird quirky stuff. Don't aim for perfect. Aim for good enough Bruno Bettleheimwrote a book many years ago called the good enough parent. Most parents are just good enoughand most kids turn out just fine. You will, too.

I love that... "Just good enough"! When my GP told me I needed to start getting more exercise, she told me that some days she would do the "better than nothing" workout. It's not the full workout she knows she should be getting, but it's better than nothing. Hearing so many people say that you must keep your heart rate up for at least X amount of time was always so discouraging to me that I wouldn't even try! Now, to hear a Dr say that something is better than nothing at least gives me the motivation to try.

@Ebony Rose just remember, whatever effort you put in, it is better than nothing!

I've been shopping with this mentality lately. What the heck am I going to feed the whole family? I am trying to find an alternative to chips, we've got more beef Jerky in the house now (is that even healthy) I am terrified of failure and having food funerals at the same time (fave restaurants). I think this is the process of becoming a mindful eater and choosing a healthier you...????

Ldyvenus...uh oh. No. Jerkey has added sugar. I cheat on baby carrots and humus. Celery and Peanut Butter 70ŕ cocoa choc chips, hatlrd boiled eggs, 15 cal ice pops...kale 'chips' plain greek yog with splashes if no cal fkavorinfs like pumpkin, caramel, choc. Etc. I dont haveto worry abt other people and what they eatso its a bit eaaier for me than you. But indo voluunteerat a foid concession for bingoplayers and.everyobw else is nibblibg candy. I dont tpuch it. I KNOW i have no control and cant eat one. So avoid it as if my life dependedon that...and it kinda does.

It was really simply laid out for me by my surgeon.

He said that the next two weeks would't be much fun.....the liquid diet.....3-4 shakes per day with all the non-calorie liquids I wanted to drink...........but it was to best insure my safety during the surgery.

He showed me the procedure already and how he'd use a tool to lift my liver out of the way for the duration of the surgery. He'd showed me what could happen to a fatty liver......vs a properly dieted liver.

The thought of waking up post-op and realizing that my surgery had been aborted due to liver issues was all the motivation that I needed to adhere to the 14 day liquid diet.

Was it any fun ? Not really........but the scale moved and each day found me closer to my surgery. It's a great way to mentally break away from food, too. This is something that we all need to do prior to our surgery anyway.

You can pay someone to change the oil in your car, do your lawn work and yes.....perform your surgeries..........but this is the part that YOU must OWN and take care of.

You can do it.

Don't overthink it.......just do it.

Baby steps. Take it one meal or one hour at a time if you need to. I agree with Dub. It is important and well worth it. It is only 2 weeks of your life. You can do this!

I know I'm not perfect (pre-op and after) so I prefer to think of it as being "One day better" than I was before. It's the best I can do. I won't beat myself up about "mistakes". But I will try harder

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well I had liver fears even though numbers weren't that bad and I stopped alcohol months early. Maybe it was make up of our group pre-op

My nut stressed importance of diet but said I know you will cheat a bit the first week just don't cheat the second. It helped me feel human and buckle down.

Thank you everyone! Waking up to see the replies has helped me have the replacement meal ????

I know all the facts, it's when the emtions come into it that is a bit harder..

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App