Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op, difficulty meeting protein goals

I had my vsg and gallbladder removal done Wednesday September 7th. And aside from esophageal spasms, incision pain and fatigue I feel ok. I'm not physically hungry, but am fighting the demon known as "the head hungries" but despite all that I haven't given in to temptations.

I am, however, not meeting my Protein goals, like not even close. I'm lucky if I get maybe 30 grams in a day. And my total liquid intake has also been lacking. I just don't like the taste of Protein powder. I enjoy the rtd Protein drinks, but at a cost of $9 for 4 11oz drinks, i simply cannot afford to have 2-3 a day (and I don't have a costco membership).. hence the reason for my buying the Protein Powder. I completely forgot to mention this at my follow up appt today (and I'm kicking myself in the ass for it) but thought I could instead inquire to this awesome community for help/advice. Now, I know I'm not to have anything but Clear liquids and Protein drinks for the next 2 weeks, but could I possibly add 1/4 banana or something to my protein powder just to make it easier for me to drink? I've tried several protein powders, but currently have the EAS 100%whey vanilla flavored protein powder. I can't return or exchange it as its already been opened and would hate to have to toss out an almost $30 product, so anyway advice on how to spruce up the flavor (without doing harm to my stevie the sleeve of course) would be most welcomed!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I too had the sleeve and my gallbladder removed at the same time.

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time, but seriously, now isn't the time to be money pinching, when RTD shakes are going to keep you alive and healthy. Sip, sip, sip. And make sure you intake Water, tea, mix our Water with crystal light or other flavors to make it easy to go down... But you cannot just say you can't do it, or can't afford it. You MUST!!!

You won't be on shakes for long. Once you can tolerate food, and you have been cleared, you can get your Protein in. Many of us, continue to use shakes as it is an easy way to meet the daily goal.

Premiere shakes are good, most of us tolerate those.

Buy some GENEPRO. Its expensive, but you can mix it with just about anything and it has no taste.

I way overbought in preparation and now find, that I have found my favorite flavor, its hard to use the other products I bought. oh well. I will continue to do, especially in this crucial beginning period, to drink and eat, what agrees with me best.

Try mixing orange crystal light with your vanilla Protein Shake for a creamsicle flavor, or a couple heaping teaspoons of instant coffee for a vanilla latte.

What are you mixing your Protein with? You may want to change it up. I really like unsweetened vanilla cashew milk or vanilla fairlife milk.

And as hard as it is, you may just have to choke the stuff down. It's important to get your protein in. You aren't supposed to be drinking it for fun -- you are drinking it for nourishment, health, and healing. If it tastes icky, that's okay, as long as it doesn't make you physically throw up. You'll get back to a point of enjoying your food later, but that isn't particularly important right now.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been mixing my Protein with low fat milk. But being that I looove cashews, maybe I'll try mixing it with cashew milk, or almond milk. The creamsicle idea sounds great also!

I'd also like to point out that I'm really not penny or money pinching, i just literally have no money $ left over after daycare, bills, student loans and rent and transportation. Trust me if I could drop the $80- $100 on rtd shakes that i thoroughly enjoy,enough to last through this liquid stage, I'd do it in a heart beat!

I've seen people adding Torani sf Syrup to their drinks, i wonder if that's safe to utilize this stage in the game