Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have bread and if not why?

Am I the only person who doesn't understand the purpose of this post?? It's a response to an old thread with somebody asking this question?? I guess I don't get why a new post was created by the OP and unclear of the message.

Oh well - I'll move on...

Oh @@KristenLe .... There you go with your THINKING again...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I began eating small quantities of bread about a month post-op, but chose different types than what I ate in the past. Ezekiel, Dave's Killer Bread and other brands have more favorable ratios of Fiber, carbs, and Protein than the croissants and white bread I used to love. I also really like Brazilian cheese bread. One serving is three small but tasty pieces. I have it with a Protein.

http://www.brazibites.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ori-ingredients.pdf

Crispbread is also lower in carbs and has some of the satisfaction of bread. Trader Joe's carries one I really like. You can use it for an open-face sandwich or just have it with Peanut Butter.

You could try having bread and just see how well you tolerate it, how much it fills you up, and what impact it has on your weight loss goals.

OP, the thing about carbs is that as long as you allow yourself to eat them you will experience the cravings for them. If you go without eating carbs then amazingly you stop craving them. Instead, you start craving weird food you may have never craved before.

bread is a "trigger food", meaning that it can lead to binge eating. And it does fill you up quite quickly. So can you eat bread? Yes. Should you, well that's your choice to make. Remember, that eating too many carbs, despite whether or not it's approved by your NUT, will sabotage your weight loss.

Still on track...Liquid Fun...Happy and pleased...Though my mood is or attitude is bad

Anyone deal with being mad all the time after VSG? I am normally easy going but over the past few day's I've felt overly upset...????????????That's not my normal.

Still on track...Liquid Fun...Happy and pleased...Though my mood is or attitude is bad

Anyone deal with being mad all the time after VSG? I am normally easy going but over the past few day's I've felt overly upset...That's not my normal.

Hormones are stored in fat. As we lose weight and break down fat, those hormones are released back into the blood stream and can cause mood swings.

Update,

Made it throught second post op visit. Dr said he is overly pleased with my progress. Mood swings are still coming and going. I am less tolerant of things which is a big up for me being that I was a pushover..Eating is still unpleasant, but I do eat. I love that now even my children look at label's for nutritional facts before eating anything, even in school they are asking questions. I'm down 50lbs working out with my husband and we're helping each other stay on track.....

I won't touch bread/pasta/rice/crackers/potatoes/carrots/corn/popcorn/chips/cereal until I'm WELL into maintenance, because I know that, for me and - dare I say - many others on this site, these carby foods slow down losing progress and are major trigger foods.

That being said, when I do reach maintenance, I will opt for Ezekiel bread, and will toast the crap out of it (bc it's texture is wet and kind of mushy without being toasted). It has about 4g of Protein & 3g of Fiber in an 80 calorie slice. In terms of good carbs, oatmeal is a good higher Protein option too with 6g of protein, 4g of fiber & 166 calories per cup - if you put some Protein powder in there, then you've really got a super breakfast!

Be so careful introducing the very foods that got you to the point of needing bariatric surgery into your diet so early on. I can tell you from personal experience that eating the high protein extremely low carb diet most of us are on post op is not what got me into trouble - it was carbs (mostly via delicious Italian dishes!).

A thousand times this!

Just today my NUT told me absolutely NO bread until phase 4. She said although we feel good, our stitches are still healing from the inside and bread expands in our bellies and can potentially pop a stitch.