Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateued 1 month out

Hello, I had RNY on 8/1/16. I lost 13lbs on the two week liquid pre op diet, so surgery day I was at 336lbs I haven't lost anything additional in about a week and a half. I guess I feel like something is wrong because of my insulin resistance and PCOS and it seems like everyone else I read about that started about the same weight I did have already lost 50+lbs. Anyone else feel like this? Since surgery, I have been trying to follow dietary guidelines set by the dietician and have only lost an additional 25lbs with exercise every other day at least. I know I am not getting quite the required 60g of Protein and 48oz of liquids a day. I never was a liquid drinker anyway, I would probably drink MAYBE 32oz a day before surgery. Should I be concerned or have others experienced this as well?

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. We all experience stalls and just about everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery.

That said, you really need to do everything you can to get in all of your Protein and AT LEAST 64 oz of Fluid. It sounds like you are not consuming nearly enough of either.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Thanks, I was only instructed 48oz of liquid until I hit stage 4, so that's why I am not pushing myself harder at this point. Thanks for the link, it's helpful! I am new to the forums, so still trying to navigate as well.

Looking at your stats it appears that you are approaching 6 weeks post-op. You are showing a weight loss of 38.8 pounds. If I assume 13 lbs of which was on the two-week pre op diet phase, then that would be a weight loss of 25.8 pounds post-surgery. That is a good weight loss for 6 weeks in. [Correct me if the numbers are wrong.]

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.
Weight loss is achieved after surgery through volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.
According to my discharge directions I was told:
Drink 64-80 ounces of fluids daily
75-90 grams of protein daily
According to your surgeon, they required 60g of Protein and 48oz of Water a day. That seems like your requirement is on the low side. On top of that you are not even meeting those requirements. So you need to work on that area.
With insufficient fluids your body can become dehydrated. This will affect your weight loss. Also as your fat cells dissolve, they will release hormones and chemicals that were stored in your fat cells into your system. These are flushed through your body into your kidneys and then expelled in your urine. It takes sufficient fluids to make this process work effectively.
Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery, as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediately after surgery, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

Get used to it, as it's very common. I stalled a lot, the majority of people do. I distinctly remember fretting that I'll never get out of: the 200's, the 190's, the 180's, the 170's, the 160's, the 140's.... Are you seeing the pattern here? ????

I fretted, but I never freaked out about it because I knew this was likely to happen, and happen, and happen...

I've been 130, which was my goal, since April, and have been maintaining nicely. I continue to track my weight and exercise daily as it seems to work for me. But everyone is different. If it becomes too much of a mental block or serious stressor you might want to consider weighing less often,like once a month or only at the doctor's office. Many do it that way.

Best of luck!