Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended grams of carbs and sugars?

Hello, my name is Cassie and I am a member of this website. Tomorrow will mark my 15 post-op anniversary and I have a question I have been anxiously trying to find answers for and have been unsuccessful in my search. I am hoping you can provide me with some answers. I was sent home from the hospital with a large booklet containing all I need to know about my operation, and everything to expect afterwards. Ideas, rules, charts etc. and I can't find anything in there. I am looking for what the RECOMMENDED grams of carbs and sugars that I can safely have each day. I have no idea what those numbers are, and I feel it's very important in continuing the process. I am 123 lbs. down and would like to either maintain or possibly lose another 5 or so. (I'm only afraid of losing more due to the horribly excessive "leftovers" of that kind of weight loss.) I am 57 years old. If you could give me an answer for this, I would be very appreciative.

Many thanks and have a wonderful day!

people's food plans vary quite a lot on this. Mine doesn't have limits at all - they just said to avoid simple carbs (sugar, white flour, rice, etc) and limit complex carbs (fruits, whole grains, etc). I usually eat 80-100 carbs a day, and the dietitian said that was fine.

other programs are ultra-low carb - e.g., limiting people to like 40 carbs a day.

I'm kind of glad mine is more of a moderate-carb program, because I don't think I could sustain ultra-low carb for very long.

a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) some people are really carb sensitive - eating carbs makes them crave even more carbs. If you're one of those, you might want to limit your carbs even if your program doesn't require it (I'm not particularly carb sensitive)

2) carbs require a lot of Water to metabolize. When you cut back a lot on carbs, you lose a lot of Water because you don't need it since you're not eating many carbs. When you add them back in, your body starts hanging on to water again because it needs it to metabolize the carbs. So at least some of the additional weight you can lose by severely limiting your carbs is really just water.

people's food plans vary quite a lot on this. Mine doesn't have limits at all - they just said to avoid simple carbs (sugar, white flour, rice, etc) and limit complex carbs (fruits, whole grains, etc). I usually eat 80-100 carbs a day, and the dietitian said that was fine.

other programs are ultra-low carb - e.g., limiting people to like 40 carbs a day.

I'm kind of glad mine is more of a moderate-carb program, because I don't think I could sustain ultra-low carb for very long.

a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) some people are really carb sensitive - eating carbs makes them crave even more carbs. If you're one of those, you might want to limit your carbs even if your program doesn't require it (I'm not particularly carb sensitive)

2) carbs require a lot of Water to metabolize. When you cut back a lot on carbs, you lose a lot of Water because you don't need it since you're not eating many carbs. When you add them back in, your body starts hanging on to water again because it needs it to metabolize the carbs. So at least some of the additional weight you can lose by severely limiting your carbs is really just water.

of course, I meant my program doesn't have *specific*, numerical limits on carbs. My guidelines were just to avoid the simple ones, and limit the complex ones.

I am 3 years post-op from RNY surgery. This is my approach during the maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

RNY surgery is different than sleeve. In RNY you have to limit the fats and sugars for the first year or you will generally experience dumping syndrome. But after that time they can be introduced back into ones diet because the intestines learn to adapt and take of the function from the stomach.

@@Cassie111

I also have a book, with all kinds of nutritional information and outlines, but besides limits on the amount of sugar in Protein shakes that is allowed, there are no carb recommendations.

I am below 25 net carbs most days, and always below 50.

You have to find a way of eating that works for you. I eat low carb leaning towards Keto. I eat this way because I enjoy it and it is sustainable for a lifetime for me.