Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys,

I had gastric bypass on June 20, 2016 and next week (on Monday), I will be 3 months out. I started my weight loss journey at 250 pounds and am currently 189 pounds. In the first month, I was shedding weight so quickly and beautifully. In the second month, my weight loss slowed but not enough to panic. Shortly after, I stalled for a week, lost a little bit, and then stalled again. I drink a lot of Water and make sure to prioritize Protein in my meals. Is this normal? If so, how long does it usually last? How can I break out of it? I feel like I am a failure and the weight loss goal I had of 140 pounds is no longer in my reach. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by angeliquita

Wait- you had your surgery THIS June? 2016?

Ummm. Mine was 3/23 started at 272 and I'm down to 180. Your weight loss is perfect. You need to let the process work. A TRUE stall goes on for weeks- months. Not a days or a week.

For me, and ONLY saying for me, I'll grab a handful of popcorn or pretzels if things are slowing down. Usually kicks it into gear. But I'm not saying you or anyone else should. I have great will power and can only have that much. If you can - try it.

shake your work outs up a little, too. Don't keep doing the same things over and over.

I often see my weight bounce up and down between two pounds for a while then drop. Rarely do I progress through a "decade" of pounds (like 230-220, 190-180) without this happening.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wait- you had your surgery THIS June? 2016?

Ummm. Mine was 3/23 started at 272 and I'm down to 180. Your weight loss is perfect. You need to let the process work. A TRUE stall goes on for weeks- months. Not a days or a week.

For me, and ONLY saying for me, I'll grab a handful of popcorn or pretzels if things are slowing down. Usually kicks it into gear. But I'm not saying you or anyone else should. I have great will power and can only have that much. If you can - try it.

shake your work outs up a little, too. Don't keep doing the same things over and over.

I often see my weight bounce up and down between two pounds for a while then drop. Rarely do I progress through a "decade" of pounds (like 230-220, 190-180) without this happening.

Thank you so much and yes, I will change up my workout routine. To be honest, my workout to this point has been power walking so maybe my body is telling me to go a little harder.

Yep. At this point you need to be adding weight or resistance to your workout. If you can afford a few personal training sessions, it's worth it. Ask the people at the gym if any of the trainers on staff are used to dealing with "special needs" clients- those who have medical conditions or have had weight loss surgery. Usually there will be one or two who do. You can then transfer your new- found knowledge on how to work out to your daily routines. Even if you don't join a gym, you can do the work at home with free weights and resistance bands.

Stalls are pretty normal and you have progressed pretty far before having one. Stalls give our bodies a chance to catch up with our weight loss. I bet you are still losing inches.... Don't worry about the stall. As long as your are keeping to your plan, it will eventually break. Along the way I had plenty of stalls - some as long as 5 weeks! I still got to my goal in less than 8 months and am now in maintenance.

I don't know if you have seen your nutritionist in a while, but my last stall was broken by simply adding more calories. I was only eating 800 and my NUT bumped that up to 1200 and gave me ways to get there eating in a healthy way. Now, I am slowly working my way up to 1600 calories - which should keep me at my current weight.

Anyway, don't sweat the stall - you have come a long way towards your goal. Let your body catch up and be patient; it will happen.

Good Luck!!

Yep. At this point you need to be adding weight or resistance to your workout. If you can afford a few personal training sessions, it's worth it. Ask the people at the gym if any of the trainers on staff are used to dealing with "special needs" clients- those who have medical conditions or have had weight loss surgery. Usually there will be one or two who do. You can then transfer your new- found knowledge on how to work out to your daily routines. Even if you don't join a gym, you can do the work at home with free weights and resistance bands.

Yes, I really needed this info! I will look into it! Thank you so much!

Stalls are pretty normal and you have progressed pretty far before having one. Stalls give our bodies a chance to catch up with our weight loss. I bet you are still losing inches.... Don't worry about the stall. As long as your are keeping to your plan, it will eventually break. Along the way I had plenty of stalls - some as long as 5 weeks! I still got to my goal in less than 8 months and am now in maintenance.

I don't know if you have seen your nutritionist in a while, but my last stall was broken by simply adding more calories. I was only eating 800 and my NUT bumped that up to 1200 and gave me ways to get there eating in a healthy way. Now, I am slowly working my way up to 1600 calories - which should keep me at my current weight.

Anyway, don't sweat the stall - you have come a long way towards your goal. Let your body catch up and be patient; it will happen.

Good Luck!!

It has been a while since I have last seen my nutritionist... I am going to look into it. Congrats on reaching your goal weight! I am so happy for you!

At support group they told us that if you stall check your measurements . They said you never lose weight and inches at the same time. Many people added in that while they were stalled for an extended period, they actually went down two pant sizes