Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need encouragement!

Hello Everybody,

I had gastric bypass on 07/19/16 and I am ok'ed to do any level of activity from my surgeon.

Here's the thing, every time I get up to go to the gym I chicken out. My anxiety goes through the roof and I make excuses "well tomorrow is another day" . Yeah, I am starting to call myself Scarlett O'Hara.

So what did you do when you first started to go to the gym? Did you start out simple (treadmill) and work up from there or just hit the weights?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A lot of people feel that way about the gym and it's understandable. I used to hate the gym because 1) I felt like everyone was staring at the "fat girl", 2) I didn't know how to use the equipment, and 3) I love the outdoors, but then I got a personal trainer for a few weeks and my anxiety level dropped. First, he got me to realize that no one's really paying attention and if they were and I'm creeped out then tell the workers and they'll handle it. Secondly, he taught me how to use the equipment and developed me a workout routine which included some outdoor activities. Finally, he helped me determine the best time to hit the gym to avoid the crowd. LOL Not sure if any of my issues are the same for you but it's just a thought. As for what to do, the treadmill is a great choice because it gives you that cardio workout but weight lifting will be great to build the muscles and help with tightening/toning the skin some. I had a sleeve before my recent bypass so I had to conquer my gym issues a few years ago. :-)

Thank you @@Shi-Shi80! I know I can do it! I'm going to get everything prepared tonight so no excuses tomorrow! I have also been to the gym at a bigger size than I am now and the benefits outweighed my discomfort. I really don't know what my issue is, it's a must at this point.

Generally I walked up and down my driveway. It is very steep and the exercise is more like hill walking or climbing stairs. Uses two different sets of muscles. It was easy and right out my front door.

My problem was the YMCA was a 30 minute drive from my home and it was almost a waste to go that far just for exercise.

Also I hate exercise for exercise sake. I would rather do manual labor. So for each of the first two years after surgery, I moved 100,000 pounds of gravel by hand along with around 60,000 pounds of concrete blocks. I like to build things.

I had joined gyms in the past but really didn't know what to do. This time, the gym recommended their personal trainers--with the new membership you get a few free sessions. This really helped me to figure out what to do at the gym and made such a difference. They created a card for me with the different exercises to do and how many reps to do and it is kept in their card file that I can access anytime. I haven't even looked at it in a couple of years now! But I also walk/run outside, do zumba, treadmill, and I have some home equipment that I like to use: jump rope, hula hoop, kettle bell, bands, etc. Frankly, I have the best luck with just being outside walking/hiking that sort of thing. I keep meaning to do some bike riding but that still scares me and frankly, I haven't really ridden a bike since they required helmets so not sure how I feel about that. Find something you love to do--dance class? karate? anything! Best of luck.

I myself like at-home workout DVDs. It is a lot easier, more convenient, I don't have the drive to and from the gym, I can do it even if my husband is out and I am home with my daughter, I don't have the monthly membership fees that I wasn't using, and nobody else to worry about.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

@@esskay77 I'm a hooper too! I was sleeved 8/30 and can't wait to be cleared to hoop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

If you can at all afford a trainer for a couple of sessions, do it! Mine showed me plenty of HIIT moves to combine with cardio. If you're interested in the machines, tell them! Watch YouTube videos! Download couch 2 5k. You may do the first week many times (I did!) But it's a great way to work up your endurance. If they have an arc trainer , try that. It's a hell of a work out with minimal impact on your joints.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I started with walking the track and Water aerobics. You are right - just getting to the gym can be the hardest thing and it is easy to talk myself out of it.

I force myself to go because 1) I know it is good for me and 2)I always feel so wonderful after exercising!!

You might want to get an exercising partner. You don't necessarily have to do all the same things at the gym, but meeting there and doing some things together can increase both of your accountability.

I have been exercising at the gym for over a year and a half. I can tell you that I can just as easily convince myself to stay home today as I could when I first started.

At first, I merely kept my weight loss goal and the need to get fit constantly before me. When I got to goal, I needed to find other motivation. That is when I started meeting a friend at the gym.

As I said earlier - I really feel great after exercising!! Tired, but great! Find something that motivates you.... the rewards are awesome!

I started with walking the track and Water aerobics. You are right - just getting to the gym can be the hardest thing and it is easy to talk myself out of it.

I force myself to go because 1) I know it is good for me and 2)I always feel so wonderful after exercising!!

You might want to get an exercising partner. You don't necessarily have to do all the same things at the gym, but meeting there and doing some things together can increase both of your accountability.

I have been exercising at the gym for over a year and a half. I can tell you that I can just as easily convince myself to stay home today as I could when I first started.

At first, I merely kept my weight loss goal and the need to get fit constantly before me. When I got to goal, I needed to find other motivation. That is when I started meeting a friend at the gym.

As I said earlier - I really feel great after exercising!! Tired, but great! Find something that motivates you.... the rewards are awesome!

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Thank you!! I know how I felt when I was going to the gym and it was awesome!! I just have to focus on that!

My hubby and I started working out with a trainer June 1st. We pay for our training sessions. That is the biggest motivation for us. We do 30 min. Weights with trainer and 30 min. Cardio. I love the treadmill and the elliptical. Are aim is for 3 nights a week (2 with trainer 1 just us) So we are guaranteed to be there 2 nights. I'm waiting for approval for WLS and I'm just at 40 bmi. I talk with surgeon on the 13th to see if he will clear me to begin the classes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Well, I did it! I didn't burst into flames and no one pointed and laughed! I feel good. I didn't push myself, I just wanted to get the first time over with, since the first time for anything is the worst.

Thank you everybody who took the time to give me pointers and encouragement. I'm humbled and grateful.

So again, thank you!