Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise plan- 3 months out

Hi all! So I'm supposed to get sleeved in December and I have been postponing losing that pre-surgery weight although I KNOW I am capable of doing it. I just feel lost about where to start especially when it comes to exercising.

My surgeon told me that I should put more emphasis on lifting weights because that will be helpful post op, meanwhile everyone else says to focus on cardio because that will help you when you have a large amount of weight to lose (which I obviously do)

So I guess I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone has been doing, or did pre-op. I have been walking on the treadmill at different inclines and speeds (not a runner by any means) and then doing a few light weights but. I feel like it isn't a good enough routine.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I think a mix of both. Both will help you lose weight but the weights will help to prevent loose skin.

I was not good about exercise when I first had my surgery, plus my eating habits slipped a lot, I gained a lot of weight back. Now I have lost most of what I gained and feel much better. I am not afraid to increase my weights or do more intense cardio. I think the combination makes a big difference.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

But with that being said, I mentioned increasing weights and intense cardio, that was referring to later on, definitely not right away.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Both. Muscle weighs more than fat but it burns more calories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Weight bearing exercise and cardio are both important. So is stretching. Don't forget your flexibility.

Strength, endurance, flexibility, and aerobic capacity are all important for fitness.

My exercise of choice is swimming. I can accomplish all of these things in the Water and it's easier on my joints.

I did both. I would do a cardio warm up for 10 minutes before my aerobic drumming class then I'd do 20-30 minutes of weights after. I need to get back to doing that. I lost 40# in 6 months pre-surgery but the gym membership is pretty steep.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I've been exercising regularly for years. It really hasn't helped me lose much weight, but probably helped me from packing on extra pounds (that's what the NUT said anyway).

I started easy cardio, like the elliptical and walking on the treadmill (even tried jogging a bit once I was comfortable). Then I got bored and started going to spin and zumba classes. I like group X classes because I feel more accountable for showing up on time and having to commit to the full hour of exercise vs. coming and going whenever I want.

I hate weight lifting. I've been told it's good for toning, fat burning, etc. I just hate it so so so much. I don't feel like I'm doing anything and I hate waiting in between sets. I would encourage you to try both and see what you like.

I'm almost 10 weeks post op. At about 4 weeks i started going to the gym 1-2 times a week. Then I incresed it to 3 days a week by 6 weeks. By week 8 I was up to 4 days a week and last week I worked out 6 days. I come in and stretch for about 5-10 min I start with an ab machine and do about 3 sets of 10. then I do 30 min of cardio. Treadmill, elliptical, bike, arc whatever I choose. I may do one machine for 30min or 2 for 15 min.

Then I do machines. I rotate and mix and match body parts like ab day or abs and arms or glutes etc.

I may do 3 sets of 15 on a weight that i can handle with effort. Every since I've been doing that (increasing my workouts ) I've noticed steady movement on the scale. Some days i just do stretching and 30 min cardio. Some days I just do weights. I'm starting to really get into it and I have to remind myself not to overdo it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App