Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What an awesome line!! :-)

my husband's co-workers are starting to hide from me, I'm the Crazy Squash Lady!

I've lost nearly 130 pounds eating carbs. I come from a very healthy Italian family that eats nothing but Pasta. I strayed away and ate a lot of processed junk. I'm back to eating Pasta and making my own sauce and I eat fruit which have a lot of carbs. I don't even look at the carb content of the food I eat.

Be careful eating no carbs..I went to the Dr the other day and my ketones were at 3 plus. He was worried about me amd told me to eat a potato

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

@@ShelterDog64 you need professor @@OutsideMatchInside to give you her directions for testing, formulas, etc!!

Thanks so much to everyone for the thoughtful discussion on this. It definitely helped remind me that very little sugar is the goal, especially in weight loss mode. I think I saw quinoa and Peanut Butter and Protein and forgot that LOL.

I know that some people can lose weight eating carbs and I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that all carbs aren't bad, but it's hard after a lifetime of having carbs wreak havoc. I think, like others said, that for my body to do its best, I am going to need to avoid them as much as possible while in weight loss mode. I don't mean completely, but I do think that limiting them (and not having them as main part of Breakfast, etc.) is crucial for my body type. I already know I'm super sensitive to them, so why risk it?

I do agree that having carbs can jumpstart a stall...not a lot and definitely not the bad carbs but I have had that happen in the past.

I didn't see a negative effect on weight loss. I broke a longish stall last week and my weight is still dropping this week, so yay for that. But I do feel like I was hungrier after eating the oatmeal than I would have been eating something else. That alone should be the signal I need that this is not for me.

Maybe when I reach my goal, I will feel like I can try it in limited amounts, but for now I am heeding your excellent advice and sticking to Protein and no/low sugar.

I am on stage 5 diet plan which is for post-op 60-182 days (8-26 weeks). My diet has progressed to 1 to 2 Protein drinks a day, and up to 48 oz of Water. Now two meals may consist of Protein food plus 1/4 cup vegetable plus 1/4 cup of fruit...and that's it. So basically for Breakfast I have a Protein Drink, lunch 1/2 to 1/2 cup allowable protein food plus 1/4 cup vegetable and 1/4 cup fruit...dinner same ratio. In time I can add one or two tablespoons of whole grain like brown rice or oats at each meal. I haven't tried it yet. I can barley consume this much food.

I'm glad you guys (and especially vets) posted about your carb results. Carbs are what got me here needing surgery.

Complex carbs are necessary to your overall health. If you avoid carb you are not giving your body what it needs to stay healthy and all the Protein w/out good carbs is extremely hard on your kidneys.

Now simple sugars and carbs...I would stay away from those.

But your body needs those good carbs just like it needs Protein and Vitamins and minerals!

OK so this week I added 2 Snacks to my food routine. A cheese stick and a granola bar. Not only did I break my stall but I also lost 3 lbs this week. Mainly because I was trying to get my calories above 600 for the day, also because I have been craving something I couldn't put my finger on. It seems to be working for me.

I've lost nearly 130 pounds eating carbs. I come from a very healthy Italian family that eats nothing but Pasta. I strayed away and ate a lot of processed junk. I'm back to eating Pasta and making my own sauce and I eat fruit which have a lot of carbs. I don't even look at the carb content of the food I eat.

That's fantastic! When it comes to carbs I think quality and quantity are both imperative. Wholesome forms of it in modest amounts can be beneficial. I do have to be mindful about how many carbs I eat, but actually have found that I lose the most weight, feel the best, and can sustain weight loss if I stay in the 50 to 100 or thereabouts range. I used to lose a lot of weight with very low carb diets, and then gain it all right back. I'll typically have a breakfast that is higher in carbs (high Protein Greek yogurt smoothie where the carbs are from fruit and kale, or oatmeal with unflavored Protein powder blended in), and scale back with the other meals and Snacks. I haven't lost anywhere close to 130 pounds (extremely impressive!), but I have lost enough to go from a BMI of 32 to 19.1 as of today. My weight loss over the past year has been relatively slow, probably in part because of having more carbs, but the silver lining has been minimal hair loss, absolutely no loose skin, and no regain.

I hesitate to jump in on discussions about carbs because I feel like I'm swimming against the current.

Ketosis makes me really, really sick. I can't function in ketosis. My blood sugar drops to dangerous levels and that whole "carb flu" thing people talk about when first going into ketosis that's only supposed to last a few days? Doesn't ever go away for me.

I'm also a nurse, and my training taught me that ketosis is a compensatory mechanism. I have a holistic approach to medicine, and do not believe that keeping your body indefinitely in a compensatory state is a good idea.

I am happy that my surgeon and my NUT agree with me, so I don't have to fight a battle on that front.

That being said, refined carbs and refined sugars are problematic, without a doubt. I got to my highest weight eating lots of sugary, carby sweets that didn't hold any real nutritional value. I have to re-adjust my thinking around food choices in terms of nutritional value. "Slow" or complex carbs and some fruit are "good" carbs in my book. I also don't think that sugar and other sweeteners are evil or anything, just things that need to be had in moderation. If I can't handle sugar in moderation, like many here, then I need to cut it out. But cutting out carbs isn't in my plan, never will be. I will always work to keep enough carbs in my diet to keep me out of ketosis, now that I'm past the liquid diet phase where I found ketosis to be impossible to avoid without adding sugar, which I wasn't going to do. (And yes, while I've had a fairly easy experience, I've been incredibly weak and fatigued for 3 weeks proving that my body still can't handle ketosis.)

So there's my spare change, FWIW. I only jump into the fray because while I am definitely in the minority, I know I'm likely not alone. :)

Fascinating thread. I can't eat rice or wheat so I'm limited to mostly corn based carbs, in addition to fruits and vegetables etc. I'm fairly focused on trying to increase the fruits and veggies in my diet right now, I just can't wrap my head around nutrition without those two food groups. But as many have said it is difficult to just get in enough Protein. So other carbs (corn) are on the back burner for now. I think I've lost weight rapidly post-op eating mostly Protein and fat but it is not a diet I wish to maintain for life.

@@theantichick I am right there with you. and thankful my practice's plan is well balanced. not junk, but some whole grains yes, and fruit, yes. not a carb free for all, it is still considered low carb - but not ketosis. I am loosing weight nice and steady - and will get where I want to be before too long. (only a little more than 30 pounds to go to my goal!! I can NOT believe that! ) I do not do well with my brain when I do not have any carbs in my diet.

@@theantichick I'm in complete agreement about complex carbs...so much so that I barely consider fruits and vegetables carbs when I'm thinking in terms of eating whole foods. I recently went into ketosis, because the need to push Protein coupled with my restriction was causing me to basically eat Protein and drink Water. I didn't feel good at all after a few days, so I upped my complex carbs by adding them in as additional small meals. Now my weight loss has slooooooooowed down. Not sure if it's related, but I can't stay in ketosis.

I think, for me, it's less about whether its a carb or not and more about the glycemic index or load of what I eat.

Interesting discussion, thanks!