Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cast iron pre-op stomach = cast iron sleeve?

Here's a question - just curious...

Do people who can eat just about anything prior to surgery find that they can eat just about anything afterwards?

And do people who have tummy issues pre-surgery find that after surgery their sleeve is still sensitive - or more sensitive than before?

Or is there no correlation?

Discuss.....

:)

-Anne

Edited by silverwhitemoon

I can't speak for anyone else, but I had one of those cast Iron stomachs before surgery and have had no issues or illnesses since the surgery. I haven't tried bread or rice or anything really solid like raw carrots, but I have tried a good selection of different foods including some Pasta and potato and no problems so far.

Jo x

Me too - I ate anything before and still eat anything. Nothing has bothered me much.

I had a cast Iron stomach before surgery. Very rarely would food make me ill.

Post op, things don't make me "sick" per se (no nausea, vomiting) but I never know what will send me to the bathroom. And it changes from day to day.

Also, before surgery (sorry if TMI), but if I had to have a BM and I was out in public/mall/running/shopping/whatever, I could "hold" it until I got home. Not anymore - gotta go gotta go! And sometimes when I gotta go, my tummy cramps. I definitely didn't have that kind of urgency pre-op.

As far as complications are concerned, my recovery was fabulous. I didn't feel bad at all. My gallbladder did have to be taken out about 9 months post-op.

Edited by lexiemustang

Coming up on my 11th month post-sleeve.

I could pretty much eat anything and have no issues.

I enjoy grilling and cooking and use lots of jalapeño, hot sauce, spicy rubs and an occasional habanero.

I was glad to discover that I can still enjoy everything the same.

I have never had much of a dumping sensation, although I do have an a predictable reaction to foods high in sugar. I seldom have any sweets, candy and equivalent. It's a food type that has really dropped off my radar along with beer and diet soft drinks.

For example, just celebrated wife's birthday. She'd asked that I not get a cake. I did, however, sneak by a gourmet cupcake bakery and bought a few varieties that I thought she'd like. One of them was chocolate cake with mint icing and a thin mint cookie on top. She said she wanted the other types and I did my husbandly duties and ate this thin mint cupcake to spare her the horror. I've had these before and loved 'em. Not this time. Tasted like a bag full of sugar. It seemed to be much bigger than I remember it being last time, even though I know it was the same. Within minutes of finishing the sugar bomb.....it hit my system and my system wasn't happy with me. It did what it could to get that stuff outa my body. It's all the proof that I need to know that our bodies were not designed to consume refined sugar. I don't need it in my life and my body doesn't like it so I'd call that a great outcome of avoiding it.

I do best when I enjoy meats and vegetables. I've also resumed eating salads. They always have chicken or other Protein in them....usually have kale or spinach as the leafy stuff....and always have eggs, cheese, sunflower seeds and light or no dressing.

I had a cast Iron stomach pre and just after (maybe 5-6 months) it was more sensitive but again I can eat just about anything...some stuff makes me queasier than before...like raw onions (cooked are fine), go figure and rice was touch and go for a long time..some could come from age related I guess...but I am really surprised how much I can eat at times....and other times how little...depends on the food and what not....I am over a year out, and have lost a total of about 102 lbs. (including my pre-op 40) so we are stunned by the slow down, I lost SO FAST and SO MUCH at first (1-2 months) then it really slowed and the last 6 months I have been stalled in the same 5-10 lbs......we cut my calories back to 1500 (yes, I admit to the occasion cheat or bad choices, but the head takes much longer to catch up to the body)

Tummy wise, I named her Rosarita cause from the beginning she LOVED spicy stuff :)

Cast Iron then. Cast iron now. Although the thought of certain foods I once liked make me queezy.

Cast Iron before. Nothing was too hot, too spicy, too sweet...

Now I dump when I eat ice cream or a rich cream based Soup. I can still eat super hot or spicy foods, but I cannot drink after or it all comes back up. Rice and Pasta make me vomit. I can eat a few bites of bread and potatoes but I feel crappy after so I just don't.

None of the changes bother me. They keep me honest and on track.

Cast-Iron before, egg-hating now. And like @@Candygyrl there are a few things I haven't tried because the idea of that food is revolting. Unfortunately, tuna is one of them. And I've limited carbs, so not sure how I'd do with refined sugar right now and I have no intention of finding out.

I don't think there is any correlation really. Although for me nothing bothered me before and nothing bothers me now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App