Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not eating enough

I'm kind of new to this group. I was sleeved on 7/7 so I'm about 8 weeks out. I'm having a lot of trouble eating/drinking enough. I ate 1/2 ounce of fish & was so full I couldn't eat or drink for hours. I can't get in Protein drinks either. I drank maybe 4 oz over an hour & now I'm too full to take my Vitamins.

I've had an endoscopy that only showed mild swelling so I don't know what else to do. I'm pretty sure I need more than 120 calories/day. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You definitely need more than 120 calories. You need at least 64 oz of Fluid and to reach your Protein target (mine is 100 grams a day). At 8 weeks out you should be cleared for most foods.

Have you talked to your NUT and/or your surgeon about your challenges.

Whether you feel like it or not, you have to eat. If you need to sip Protein shakes all day, then sip Protein Shakes all day. Dehydration and malnutrition will not help you heal or lose weight.

You definitely need more than 120 calories. You need at least 64 oz of Fluid and to reach your Protein target (mine is 100 grams a day). At 8 weeks out you should be cleared for most foods.

Whether you feel like it or not, you have to eat. If you need to sip Protein shakes all day, then sip Protein Shakes all day. Dehydration and malnutrition will not help you heal or lose weight.

Is normal, at 8 weeks post op I was the same. You don't need 100 gr of protein a day-not a this stage any way. That's the equivalent of 3 medium chicken breasts. You will get gradually better as the swelling goes down. I am 14 weeks out and I m still having problems eating more than 600 cal a day. 100 gr of protein is expected from you at the end of your 2 year journey. You do need to drink Water but again take it slowly.

The biggest issue is not to allow yourself to get dehydrated. So as someone else said, you have to sip sip sip all day.

The swelling will go down and things will get better.

Is normal, at 8 weeks post op I was the same. You don't need 100 gr of protein a day-not a this stage any way. That's the equivalent of 3 medium chicken breasts. You will get gradually better as the swelling goes down. I am 14 weeks out and I m still having problems eating more than 600 cal a day. 100 gr of protein is expected from you at the end of your 2 year journey. You do need to drink Water but again take it slowly.

I've actually been getting 80-100 grams a day since about my third day home from the hospital. Now if I don't average 100 grams a day, my prealbumin and albumin levels tank. I'm nowhere near two years out. I do think it's difficult for some people to get up to the recommended level of protein the first few weeks (for most people, that's 60-80 grams a day), but I sure wouldn't wait two years to get up to the recommended amount.

Actually, my surgeon expected me to get at least 100 grams a day starting the day I got home from surgery (the day after surgery) and every day after that for the rest of my life.

He has been right about everything so far. I credit getting enough protein with the ease of my recovery and my progress so far.

Stuffin' yourself with shakes won't make a difference. But as we are all different guess it doesn't matter.

Protein is critical for healing. If you don't get enough protein your body will be slow in healing.

Sip sip sip no matter how you feel. You will loose weight but you'll gain it right back because this will ruin your metabolism. You have to have Protein to heal. Try things like refried Beans or scrambled eggs or cottage cheese perhaps you won't feel as stuffed as the fish made you. Sip Protein drinks. Keep trying every day. And please let us know how you are doing. We care.

I'm right with you on not getting your Protein in. I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm stuggling big time. I'm lucky if I get 40 gms of protein a day and as for Water, I'm only getting about 32 oz a day. I usually start my day with a Premier Protein drink which I only can drink 2/3 of one. I then start sipping my water about 40 minutes later but I'm still full from the shake so I dont' get much water in. I usually have lunch about 4 hours later and then I'm full for the rest of the day. I have to force some yogurt or cottage cheese down but that still doesn't bring my protein intake up much. I'm getting frustrated and hoping I'll be able to eat more at some point. Oh, also strugging with the b-vitamins. They sour my stomach. ARGH!!!

I'm right with you on not getting your Protein in. I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm stuggling big time. I'm lucky if I get 40 gms of protein a day and as for Water, I'm only getting about 32 oz a day. I usually start my day with a Premier Protein drink which I only can drink 2/3 of one. I then start sipping my water about 40 minutes later but I'm still full from the shake so I dont' get much water in. I usually have lunch about 4 hours later and then I'm full for the rest of the day. I have to force some yogurt or cottage cheese down but that still doesn't bring my protein intake up much. I'm getting frustrated and hoping I'll be able to eat more at some point. Oh, also strugging with the b-vitamins. They sour my stomach. ARGH!!!

You really need to be sipping all day and not waiting 4 hours between shakes if you are getting that little protein and Fluid,

My RN coodinator told me that the range for Protein is 60-100 grams a day. She said the lower is for a smaller woman (im 5'1) and the 100 is for a man who needs more. She also told me to get out 10 3 oz dixie cups each morning and have three oz of Protein shake every hour or so and by the end of the day you would have the amount needed. I am only 3 days out from surgery and cant get all 10 in but have been gettinf about 45. Hoping to increase as i go.

I had trouble getting the Protein in at the beginning also. I couldn't do Protein shakes (they made me too full).

Instead, I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder with 8 oz of Unsweetened Soy milk (strawberry Sorbet is the one I like...but they have vanilla, chocolate, & Soup. They can send you a sample pack so you can try them). That 8 oz gives me 27 grams of Protein & 8 oz of Water. The powder is lighter than others and some days I drank 2 of them...just to try to get my protein up.