Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People with high blood pressure

Hey everyone I am a week and a half post op and I always been on blood pressure medication, my question is how long did it take you to get off it from when you had surgery?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery April 5 and am still on blood pressure medicine. I have lost just under 75 lbs and my Dr. has adjusted my medication since losing weight. I am definitely in the normal range (112/68) now and when I go back to my PC Dr. in October I will probably not have to take it anymore. I look forward to the day I don't have to take it anymore.

I had my surgery April 5 and am still on blood pressure medicine. I have lost just under 75 lbs and my Dr. has adjusted my medication since losing weight. I am definitely in the normal range (112/68) now and when I go back to my PC Dr. in October I will probably not have to take it anymore. I look forward to the day I don't have to take it anymore.

Agree I hope I don't have to take them anymore

So I was on 2 blood pressure meds - Valsartan HCT 320/25mg and Doxazosin 2mg

Surgery on June 17th - at 4 weeks out we cut the dosage on the Valsartan HCT to 160/25mg. At 6 weeks out, I had to stop it altogether because of really bad dizzy spells every day - like almost passing out in the shower bad and nearly passed out while seated at my desk with vision and hearing loss. My blood pressure had dropped to 90/54.

Had a follow up today to make sure my bp hadn't gone up too high after stopping the valsartan HCT - and my bp was fine, 126/82. In 4 months I see my primary doc again and the plan is to take me off the doxazosin then - although if I start having dizzy spells again I'm supposed to contact him immediately.

My doctor did not want me to go back on my meds after surgery. I was taking 2 lisinopril per day. I am a month out and my blood pressure is great. Hope I never have to go back on.

I was taken off blood pressure meds concurrent with surgery and never took them again. My surgeon requires people with HBP to get a home blood pressure monitor and measure blood pressure 2x per day for several weeks after surgery. He says the vast majority of his patients stop taking blood pressure meds and never go back. I have never had a high blood pressure reading since surgery -- before it was almost out of control, even with meds.

Unfortunately I am one of the lucky ones with inherited hpb. Mind you after losing almost 75lbs I am down to one medication from the 5 I was on before. I have come to the realization that no matter how healthy I am, I will always have HBP. Thankfully it isn't malignant like before.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My dr also did not put me back on. I was on meds for 7 years. I had surgery March 1 2016 so about 6 months. My blood pressure is normal now!! I feel great and I hope u have the same results!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went off my lisinopril/HCTZ for surgery and never went back on. My readings have been consistently in the 120s/70s every since.

I lost 55lbs prior to surgery......then at 3 weeks I had my bp meds cut in half.

Now.....at 10 months.....I have zero meds for bp.

I stopped my meds the day I had surgery. BP was good while in the hospital. 2 weeks post op 118/72. BP maintained in the normal range without meds by 6 weeks post op Dr. Discontinued meds officially.

I ask because when I get up fast I get dizzy and read this could be a sign I may not need them, I plan to call my Dr tomorrow

47 years old and been on blood pressure meds for the last dozen years or so.

At 3 weeks post op I began having episodes where I'd almost pass out. Felt dizzy, weak and just weird.

Took my blood pressure and saw that it was low.....as in crazy low.

Called my pcp and got in to see him. Meds were cut in half.....then dropped altogether by my 9th month post-op.

Feels good to be off them, too.

Mine have been reduced (I'm down to 5mg Bystolic and 40 mg Valsartan) but I'm in the "genetic HBP" camp, so I may never be completely off blood pressure medication.

Sent from my LG-D850 using the BariatricPal App

I took 3 different BP Meds for over 10 years. One day post surgery, I was told to drop two of the three. I am two months post op, BP stable but will keep tracking it and hope to get off the last med at some stage.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App