Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TOFU Cooking Techniques and Recipes PLEASE

Originally Posted by Cerrin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn_Marie

Hi! Did you get a chance to try the Thai Tofu Bake? I did and it was good! I had a question for you about the Miso.

Which kind of Miso paste was I supposed to get. They had a red, a soy and a barley. I bought the soy but can take it back if it's not the right one.

Also, I noticed you said to use whatever amount of miso I wanted to make it taste the way I want, but how much should I start out with? When you say to put in just a small amount...are we talking about a tablespoon or more or less???

Thanks again for all your help!

hungry.gif

The kind I have is a soy base kind of redish brown in color. I dont think it matters. I start off using about 1/4th tsp mix it in a seperate bowl with broth so no chunks are left. Then mix it into the Soup. a little goes a long way. so be careful if you use too much you can just add more Water.

Have you ever had Miso soup before? Like at a resturant? Very fragrant but wattery with just a tiny bit of veggies and tofu.

I am not a huge fan of Thai food. it is usualy too spicy for me or just dosent turn out good when I do it. I am not the mose experimental when it comes to making food.< /em>

I've never had it before so this will be totally experimental for me! I'm going to make it one night this week so I'll let you know. Maybe it would be beneficial to others if you would also post what you just wrote on the thread. Thanks for your help! Lynn happy.gif

I thought I would just paste this from the mail....I am lazy that way lol

My sister always makes stir fry with Tofu. I dont know how she does it but it always turns out tasty.

I really am not a good cook. I have become better. but get really nervous if it is something I have never tried before.

I made my brother walk me thru the miso Soup thing. and was suprised on how easy it was.

I, too, am really enjoying this thread! I just hope it continues to attract people with recipes who are willing to help us make them! I'm like you Cerrin...it helps SO MUCH when someone walks me through it. I'm looking at the universities here to see who is doing some classes at the local health food stores. Hope I find some!!!!!

:bounce:

I am not sure where you are located but Where I am the local natural food/ health food stores have postings for classes on everything from yoga instructors to cooking.

I tried the Miso soup! I'm not sure if I made it right or not though because I've never had it before.

Is it supposed to be kind of bland tasting?

I have some left and I'm thinking about putting a little soy sauce in it.

I bought some extra firm tofu and sliced it and put Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce on it and put it on the grill. It was good, but next time I'm going to marinade it in the sauce for an hour or so and then grill it. I'm also going to freeze the tofu first to make it firmer. Does it sound like I am on the right track???

:wacko:

Ok...I bought some 'silken' tofu over the weekend and I'm going to make the spinach dip recipe that's on the side of the package. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

:clap2:

I eat tofu all the time. Here are some tips, and my favorite recipes. (I made them up, so bear with the unexact nature).

Tips:

Don't buy SILKEN tofu. Not even "FIRM SILKEN". SILKEN tofu is too soft for cooking, and falls apart. Any time I hear something like "I've tried to cook tofu but it just falls apart" I know they're working with SILKEN, which is probably close to Jello in firmness, and it's best as a substitute for wet things like cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and soft cheeses. Buy tofu that does not have SILKEN on the package (aka firm tofu). If you absolutely cannot find FIRM tofu, buy the firmest SILKEN you can find (extra firm) and dry it out by placing it between two folded towels or several layers of paper towels, place a try on top to distribute the weight, and place a book or even a few cans on top of the tray. Let sit at least 2 - 3 hours. Even then, you will not get the same firmness as you would from FIRM tofu. (It's not a bad idea to do this regardless, unless you're buying pre-flavored tofu, but to have any chance with SILKEN tofu it's required).

Remember that tofu has zero-to-"green" flavor on its own, and needs some help. A friend at work said she tried tofu and hated it. Well yeah, she had just peeled it open and taken a forkful.

Recipes:

My favorite recipe. Sorry I don't have exact measurements. Slice 1 or 2 packages of extra firm tofu into 1/2" strips. Mix about 2 cups of no pulp OJ, maybe 3 tbls of honey, 3 tbls of brown sugar, 1 tbl of sesame oil, 1 tbl rice vinefar, a few tbls of Thai spicy peanut sauce (I like the Bangkok or Archer Farms brands the best), and a cup - cup and a half of soy sauce. Marinate the tofu slices in the mixture at least 4 hours. Remove the tofu, keep the marinade. Get a skillet hot and add sesame oil, then fry the tofu. It's hard to burn tofu, so I don't have an exact time to fry it, I just do it until it's brown and crispy on the outside. While it's frying I baste it with small amounts of the marinade & add'l peanut sauce. When the tofu is fried, remove and pour the marinade into the skillet. Reduce it until it's a thick, carmelized sauce. If it's not carmelizing nicely, add a bit more brown sugar or honey. It may take a while, bit you'll get the reduction eventually. I eat the tofu plain, and serve it over Basmati rice for DH, with some of the sauce drizzled over.

DH's favorite. As above, slice the tofu in 1/2: strips. Mix 2 eggs with a tsp of milk. It's a fat fried dish, so mix up your crunchy coating of choice. I use breadcrumbs (forget the brand but they come in a yellow can and have aged romano mixed in), parmesan, asiago, a pinch of garlic powder, a tiny dash of oregano, and a pinch of salt. Dip in egg, dip in coating, then repeat so they're double dipped. Pan fry in peanut oil. Then I do one of two things - serve it with marina sauce and Pasta, or make bruschetta to go with it.

Bruschetta: I sweat 1 medium chopped onion and add it to a hot skillet with EVOO. Salt lightly to draw out the moisture. When it's softened, add 2 cloves of fresh chopped garlic. Then I add in 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I cook this until it starts to get thick, and then I add a can of chicken broth, 1/3 at a time, cooking until reduced each time. Line a baking tray with either hard bread chips, or pre-toasted slices. Top each piece with the Tomato mixture and a small heaping pile of cheese (I use a combination of parmesan reggiano, asiago and provolone that I grate up & blend while the chicken broth is cooking out). Bake at 350 for about 20 mins, or until the cheesy is browned & bubbly.

Don't have the patience to edit so I wanted to add - when I say don't buy silken, that's assuming you want to use the tofu as some type of meat substitute or cook it in such a way that you want it to hold its shape. That's why I specified using silken as a swet substitute, but now that I've re-read, I'm not sure that was clear. :car:

I glanced at this thread before just out of curiosity.. I've never had tofu, and never had a desire to try it. But it sounds healthy..

On my Unwrapped tv show last night they had some Tofu festival where they are trying to show people how versatile it is, and I have to say a lot of it looked REALLY good.. now my interest is peaked, and I really want to try it.

Keep the recipes comin, waitin for one that makes me go OOOO :car: