Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TOFU Cooking Techniques and Recipes PLEASE

Laura...go for it ...just don't give up too soon. I've tried several different recipes now and can't say I liked them all.

Wheetsin...thanks for the new recipes. I'm definitely going to try them. What does it mean to 'sweat' an onion, and what is Evoo???

:waytogo:

Sorry, that's my food Network lingo coming out. :waytogo:

Sweat an onion is cooking it in some type of fat, lightly salted, so that the moisture begins to "sweat" out. I usually do it visually - when the onionns are soft and have started to go clear, they're sweated. And EVOO = extra virgin olive oil.

I tried tofu for the first time last night, and it wasn't bad. It was in an Asian dish that wasn't highly flavored (IMO, at least) to start with, so it was a little bland. It made me want to try more, though, cooked in different ways.

Ok! Today is TOFU day! I'm going to try to cook it and eat it, all for the first time!

I was looking up recipes that sound like things we eat anyway, just with a tofu replacement.

2 things I found so far and I need input about them.

First, the recipes I've found are for vegans, and since I'm not even vegeterian I am altering a couple things already..

Baked Stuffed Tofu.

She was inspired by thanksgiving, and didn't want to use real stuffing but its.. hollowed extra firm tofu squares, stuffed with a brown rice 'stuffing' kind of thing. Marinating the tofu an hour before stuffing and baking. I want to use stove-top stuffing instead, anyone know if that would be good with tofu? They look like they are only about 3inches tall (the triangles) if that much, so it would be light stuffing.

2nd recipe, looks really good in the pic, but reviews I saw some people thought the tofu was bad. It's sweet & sour tofu..

Cornstarch batter, fry in oil and drizzle with a homemade Syrup.< /p>

I was thinking of frying without the batter, does tofu crisp up like if you put a piece of meat in a skillet? My brain thinks tofu is going to be like cheese and it'll melt and run all over the place.

Also, to make it not bland, wouldn't it be better to marinate it, THEN fry it, then add a sauce?

Thanks for any input..

Going to look at the link Lauren posted now :eek:

I dare say DH is almost as excited as I am to try tofu again. I find it odd, since he's normally a McDonalds or steak & potatos kind of guy.

Cornstarch batter, fry in oil and drizzle with a homemade Syrup.< p>I was thinking of frying without the batter, does tofu crisp up like if you put a piece of meat in a skillet? My brain thinks tofu is going to be like cheese and it'll melt and run all over the place.

Make sure you buy FIRM tofu, and not SILKEN. Not even FIRM SILKEN.

Tofu will brown, but it will not really crisp. At best you'll be able to get a little tiny bt of crispiness on the outside. This is after a very long time in the skillet. It will not melt. Even when deep friend it retains its texture.

Also, to make it not bland, wouldn't it be better to marinate it, THEN fry it, then add a sauce?
If you don't marinate the tofu, then it will not have any flavor other than the coating/sauce. Some places sell seasoned tofu, that is flavored as its made in the factory, but it's not good (IMO).

Tofu is not like meat. It dosent get the fried look but it comes close. it gets brown.

I dont see a problem with using stovetop stuffing. I am not sure how you would stuff the tofu but I would just put it along side of it. I dont know what recipie your looking at.

My favorite besides Miso Soup is stir fry with tofu. but with small squares of tofu not big ones.

Well there's pros and cons here.

I tried to make a tofu dinner tonight, husband ended up going and getting chinese LOL.

First, it wasn't horrible. I improvised on some of the recipe. I marinated it for an hour, then I went ahead and battered it in corn starch and fried them.

Then, I made the sweet & sour sauce from this recipe. YUCK.

So.. I tried the fried tofu first. It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't loving it.. I wanted to drown it in some sort of sauce to cover up the texture. So then I tried dipping a piece (i made tiny little cubes with it) in honey BBQ Sauce. Again, it was only 'alright'. I didn't want to spit it out, but I didn't want to take another bite. The sauce from the recipe was horrid. I wonder if I had a good sweet & sour sauce if it would have been ok.

The good news is, husband said it's not as bad as the first time he tried it--but agreed he didn't want to eat it.

So, we're not throwing out the idea of tofu, but I need to make a good recipe lol.

I've found a few highly rated recipes at recipe sites. One was for a tofu-stuffed manicotti, and it got incredible reviews. Honestly, with new foods, I don't try them unless I've found recipes somewhere that has a rating system so that people can come back and say if it was good or bad. Take a look at Recipezaar: Where the World's Recipes Are and All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips. I think you can sort the recipes by how well they were reviewed at both sites.

I've found a few highly rated recipes at recipe sites. One was for a tofu-stuffed manicotti, and it got incredible reviews. Honestly, with new foods, I don't try them unless I've found recipes somewhere that has a rating system so that people can come back and say if it was good or bad. Take a look at Recipezaar: Where the World's Recipes Are and All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips. I think you can sort the recipes by how well they were reviewed at both sites.

Allllllll I want is Chinese chicken salad minus the chicken. Same flavor, no liquid chicken. (gahhhh) That's why I'm trying this, cross your fingers!

After I soak the tofu in "stuff" can it be frozen? Anyone know? How long is it good in the frig?

I LOVEEEE the recipe that VEX posted in the 3rd post on this thread! It's that Thai Tofu Bake. I have made some adjustments to my own taste...YUM! In used olive oil in the marinade instead of the canola and I kind of doubled up on the sauce part of it. Also, if I think the sauce is too thick I add a little Water. I had it for dinner last night and again for lunch today!

Allof you, please keep sharing as you learn so we can all learn!

:cool:

I tried the roasted tofu recipe (posted earlier on this thread) over the weekend and I LOVE it! I just did the basic recipe and next time I am going to try adding garlic and see how that is.

:whoo: ....still excited about Tofu!! And to make it even better, Whole Foods had a sale ... $1.00/lb!!! Beneficial health wise plus it helps my budget!