Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your experience been with alcohol after surgery?

Let me say this too, if having a drink or two or even three close after surgery were likely to open your staple line and flood your belly, there would be some bold print warnings in all of our packets.

My packet clearly says NO ALCOHOL FOR 6 MONTHS! My guess is that her surgeon telling her to wait 3 months was very clearly documented in the medical records. And this isn't about a malpractice issue - it's for your own safety and health. Good luck suing your surgeon for not putting it in bold writing in your packets - not that it would matter as you are lying in the hospital with a life threatening leak or bleeding. The decision to drink alcohol is on us - as adults. Same as the decision to eat off plan, smoke, drink soda, etc. Pound a few back a month post op - good for you - but if something happens - do not blame your surgeon or anyone else for that matter!

Edited by KristenLe

@@LisaAdams50 Are you only 2 weeks post-op? If so - I'd be very cautious drinking alcohol. You are not able to eat at this stage (or very much anyway) and your stomach is still very much in the healing phase. As others said - I would not drink in public for the first time. We don't know how our stomachs will tolerate anything at 2 weeks out - I don't think risking getting sick is worth it. With that said - we're all adults and can make our own decisions. In my support group this week someone said "I can never have caffeine?" and the NUT's response was "you can do what you want, you're an adult - but caffeine is not recommended".

My plan says no alcohol for one month. I still haven't tried any and I used to have a glass of wine almost every night and more on weekends. Its a full time job getting my fluids and Protein in so until I can do that easily I expect I'll refrain. For sure, my first glass will be in the safety and privacy of my home :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Don't be sticks in the mud!!

We all know our surgeon's instructions are nothing more than mild suggestions.

I mean, just because we paid the big bucks and trusted this gal (or guy) with our lives, I really see no need to actually listen to what she says! Seriously, you lived through the procedure, you are up and feeling great, you've got your diet down pat, and you are losing weight successfully! You've totally got this.

No alcohol? Hogwash! I read about successful WLS patients who are drinking days after surgery and they are OK, at least according to the internetz.

What's a few drinks? Bottom's up, y'all!

Have at it! I'm sure your surgeon didn't mean it. :D

THAT'S what I really wanted to hear...lol.

Believe me, I know! ;)

*Snert*

I was sleeved in December 2015. I didn't have my first drink until March on St Patrick's Day. (I'm Irish decent [emoji4]). I had beer and it didn't sit well at all. I've not tried beer since, although I miss it dearly. I do have a glass of wine or a mixed drink occasionally. I get a quick buzz that doesn't last long. I'm not a huge drinker so it's not a problem for me if I don't have it.

I was sleeved in June and waited until Christmas the same year. I had brandy in a vanilla Protein shake. It was like a Brandy Alexander---bariatric style! :)

Now, when I want a social drink, I am back to my beloved dirty martinis with three olives. Olives have some nutritional value, right??? That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

If you really want the RIGHT answer for YOU----ask your surgeon. Sit down with him/her and have a serious conversation about when/if it will be OK for YOU to have alcohol.

Remember, some of the answers you might get on an internet site are just "smoke and mirrors"----not real.--just posted for "shock value". Be forewarned, Friend. Want the right answer to any serious question? ASK YOUR TEAM.

No actually, I am a personal injury attorney that is very familiar with causes of action for failure to warn. I'm not relying on a website medical degree, but rather logic and knowledge of how doctors are taught to cover their asses.

Let me say this too, if having a drink or two or even three close after surgery were likely to open your staple line and flood your belly, there would be some bold print warnings in all of our packets.

Well I don't know you, so I won't challenge whether or not you're a personal injury attorney, but I will say that either (1) you missed the warnings (every reputable surgeon in the US would include them...without fail), which would be difficult for me to accept that a personal injury attorney would miss that, or (2) I would question whether or not your surgeon was indeed reputable or not because the number of REPUTABLE surgeons that would fail to include a warning (several, actually) about alcohol after a WLS procedure (or most others, as well) is absolutely unequivocally ZERO. (This is especially true since the procedure typically includes a prescription for some sort of pain killer).

That being said, I personally waited about 60 days and received clearance from my surgeon before taking a few sips of wine. As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest things with alcohol is that they are empty calories...just like refined carbs/processed foods. They don't "feed" you and with the limited amount of calories you can intake during the weight loss phase, making those calories count is extremely important. I would definitely echo others and say to try a few sips in the comfort of your own home first, to see how your sleeve reacts.

Best of luck!

No actually, I am a personal injury attorney that is very familiar with causes of action for failure to warn. I'm not relying on a website medical degree, but rather logic and knowledge of how doctors are taught to cover their asses.

Well I don't know you, so I won't challenge whether or not you're a personal injury attorney, but I will say that either (1) you missed the warnings (every reputable surgeon in the US would include them...without fail), which would be difficult for me to accept that a personal injury attorney would miss that, or (2) I would question whether or not your surgeon was indeed reputable or not because the number of REPUTABLE surgeons that would fail to include a warning (several, actually) about alcohol after a WLS procedure (or most others, as well) is absolutely unequivocally ZERO. (This is especially true since the procedure typically includes a prescription for some sort of pain killer).

I would suggest most responders re-read what I wrote. My point was that if it was a likelihood that alcohol was likely to cause a leak our warnings would be more than suggestions from nutritionists to lay off alcohol for a month, or three months, or 60 days, or six months. I cannot help it that most responders want to push their own self reached beliefs or fears.

And SMG, if you are relying on warnings on your hydrocodone as one of your warnings against alcohol post-bariatric surgery, you are proving my point.

Now, as to whether I had a reputable surgeon, top rated hospital in the State of Georgia.

my nutritionist recommended no alcohol for a year (not going to happen) The reason she said this is that the 1st year you lose the most weight after sleeve. I don't plan on drinking much but will be going to Disney food and wine festival in October and I may have a sip or 2 of wine. Not much I want to lose this weight and keep it off. I reached my 1st 20 pound weight loss on thursday which was 2 weeks post op. Of course I lost 9 of those the week before surgery. But I am so excited Im going shopping today my scrub pants are tooooooooo big.

I drink mixed drinks. Fruity sweet drinks make me sick now (used to LOVE Maibu and pineapple juice). I drink a short whiskey sour or margarita (just tequila, lime juice and a little sweet and sour) and I do well. I get a quick buzz that goes away in a couple hours. I kinda like it this way. I don't even finish a short drink anyway. I always count the calories and carbs and I make sure I've met all my other goals and make sure I've eaten sufficiently.

Oh and I've only had 2 drinks since being cleared at 3 months.

Edited by Tssiemer1

@@LisaAdams50,

Congrats on your surgery and success so far! You must be doing things right if you haven’t had any pain or nausea since surgery!

If you choose to drink, just remember that it’s different than before surgery. You’re way more sensitive to alcohol. It will affect you faster and after drinking less than it did before. Also, remember that you’re on a “strict diet,” but that drinking alcohol lowers your inhibition…so it’s harder to say no to unhealthy foods. Do your best to plan ahead and stay aware of what you’re eating.

Good luck, and enjoy the event.