Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having to lose 14-20lbs before surgery

My surgeon said that I had to lose 14-20lbs before surgery.... It's such a bummer because it's HARD! I have to lose this weight before December!! Any diet suggestions on what to do daily to get there! I'm stressing because I feel like I have no control I don't wanna live like this I'm only 5'1 279lbs. I work at chic fil a and I've been staying away from that stuff but I'm sooooo tired when I get off like I literally feel this weight on me and I've never felt this way

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Sharifah,

I had to diet too before surgery. It was hard! What worked for me was eating low carb and tracking my intake on myfitnesspal. It was kind of a pain, but once I got used to it, it was just like any other habit.

So, I got a myfitnesspal account and set my daily calorie limit at 1500.

I cut out all high carb foods: no sweets, nothing made with flour or any other grain, and no high carb veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, or corn.

I stopped drinking anything with calories in it.

Other than that, I let myself eat what I wanted as long as I stayed in range for my calories. I tried to eat a lot of Protein because that kept me filled up more than other foods did.

I also tried to incorporate exercise into my daily routine, but I did not record it on myfitnesspal because doing that makes you think you can eat more calories than you actually can.

I allowed myself one meal (not an entire day!) each week where I could eat whatever I wanted. Sweets, potatoes, all the butter in the world, anything. But I still had to record it in myfitnesspal. I did let myself go over my calories on that day.

This worked for me once I got the routine down and I started losing weight quickly and without suffering much.

Good luck!

@BeautifulSharifah My surgeon didn't require me to lose weight but he did encourage me too. I have followed low carb for 4 weeks and started my pre op diet Monday. I am down 12 lbs! Like the previous poster, I would also recommend trying to cut out carbs/sugar. You'll be surprised at how good you feel!

@@BeautifulSharifah It is hard - but necessary to be sure you are healthier for surgery. Use this opportunity to learn how to eat like you will after weight loss surgery - high Protein, low carb. No Pasta, bread, rice, Cereal, sweets, etc. What sugar and fat content in food - no more than 5 gms of either in a serving. Watch out for added sugars (can be in alot of foods - particularly "diet" foods). The biggest thing you can do is PLAN - have healthy options available to you at all times. Eat 4-6 small meals a day (3 hours in between) and drink at least 64 ozs of Water (or non-caloric drinks). No sodas (diet or regular), no smoothies (usually loaded with sugar), no special coffee drinks (unless sugar free). Good luck!

My surgeon said that I had to lose 14-20lbs before surgery.... It's such a bummer because it's HARD! I have to lose this weight before December!! Any diet suggestions on what to do daily to get there! I'm stressing because I feel like I have no control I don't wanna live like this I'm only 5'1 279lbs. I work at chic fil a and I've been staying away from that stuff but I'm sooooo tired when I get off like I literally feel this weight on me and I've never felt this way

Hi. Try substituting a meal with a low calorie high Protein shake. You have a few months to go which is fine. Also as your doctor or nut about any pre op diets before surgery. The one I was given to do 2 weeks before surgery I lost almost 20lbs. Look into Herbalife shakes

My surgeon's dietician had me eating 5 to 6 times a day for 6 months, high Protein, low carbs. I lost 45 lbs in six months.

Example:

Breakfast: one hard boiled egg with one turkey sausage

snack: string cheese

Lunch: Half of a chicken breast and small salad without dressing

snack: Turkey snack bites ( sometimes I would do a Protein shake instead )

supper: chicken breast or fish with green Beans (frozen ones)

snack: sugar free Jello

PLENTY of Water, I gave up soda and caffeine almost two years ago.

I was never hungry eating 5 to 6 times a day.

GOOD LUCK, you can do this!

Edited by ojibway

Premier Protein shake for Breakfast

Trader Joe's has this stuff called cauliflower rice and it's a great rice substitute. Trader Joe's has chicken breast, frozen, vegetables, frozen, and shrimp. Mix together and make yourself some rice bowls. Try eating sugar free popcycles and lots of Water. Some cheese is ok.

I come from exactly were your at. I have to lose 15 pounds before my insurance pays. I could not understand why it was so hard.

Now, I will tell you. It's because of all the CRAP they put in our food to make us crave other foods. Especially fast foods.

Have you ever gone to get fast food and a little while later, your craving something sweet?

But you can go to places like Wendys and get a small chili. Iam not sure, but think it is ok.

You would be surprised. I can see sweets now and not even want them. Also, boiled eggs are really good

Good luck and keep me updated

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

I second the person who said to talk to your nutritionist/doctor. I asked my nutrition for tips for someone like me who is on the go a lot and hates cooking. She gave me this long list of options that came in really handy and it helped me stay in my set calorie range.

I also use sparkpeople to track everything I eat and its synced with my fitbit, so I know what I burned and what I ate. Even when I slipped up, I tracked...because it forced me to be accountable, but it also kept me from sliding as my brain always imagines much worse than the reality.

You can do it!

I started my pre-op diet on August 1st. Before October 6th, I need to lose 10-15 lbs, but no more of I will be below 35 BMI. So... I've already lost 14 lbs! My NUT put me on the following diet and I've stuck to it.

Breakfast: High Protein low car shake - Premier

Snack: cheese stick, piece of fruit or low sugar greek yogurt. I could also choose 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese with fruit, 1 oz. nuts or an egg.

Lunch: 3-4 lean Protein, 1-2 cups veggies

Snack: Same options above

Dinner: Same as lunch.

Only eat whole grain carbs 2-3X a week. Drink a lot of Water.

Once I gave up Diet Coke, the weight started falling off.

For protein, I eat chicken, turkey burgers, fish, shrimp, tuna, eggs/egg beaters. I buy the pre-cooked chicken and steak fajita meet and put it on a green salad.

Occasionally I do have nuts.

There have been times when I've been hungry but it's really worked for me, so I keep doing it. I can't lose anymore weight so now that will be a challenge. I'll talk to my NUT but probably put a few carbs back into my diet.

Good Luck!!

Dang it, where's the edit button to correct my typos?!?!?!?

Hi Sharifah,

I had to diet too before surgery. It was hard! What worked for me was eating low carb and tracking my intake on myfitnesspal. It was kind of a pain, but once I got used to it, it was just like any other habit.

So, I got a myfitnesspal account and set my daily calorie limit at 1500.

I cut out all high carb foods: no sweets, nothing made with flour or any other grain, and no high carb veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, or corn.

I stopped drinking anything with calories in it.

Other than that, I let myself eat what I wanted as long as I stayed in range for my calories. I tried to eat a lot of Protein because that kept me filled up more than other foods did.

I also tried to incorporate exercise into my daily routine, but I did not record it on myfitnesspal because doing that makes you think you can eat more calories than you actually can.

I allowed myself one meal (not an entire day!) each week where I could eat whatever I wanted. Sweets, potatoes, all the butter in the world, anything. But I still had to record it in myfitnesspal. I did let myself go over my calories on that day.

This worked for me once I got the routine down and I started losing weight quickly and without suffering much.

Good luck!

Thanks this helped a lot I'm trying God knows it's tough