Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

This is a great forum, and I can see it provides lots of good information, support, and answers to our weight issues. I am looking forward to being a part of it.

I just registered last night, and have been wading through it ever since. I go in for my band bright and early Thursday morning. Just got serious about doing it last month, after about 40 years of yo-yoing. I could deal with it OK until it really started affecting my wardrobe budget, and more importantly, my health.....diabetes (type 2), hypertension, atrial fibrilation, GERD, etc. After the diabetes diagnoses, the weight really started piling on....up about 60 lbs. in 6 years. The Doc wanted be to loose 10% of my weight before he would do the surgery. So, I've been dieting and exercising like crazy and have lost almost 30 lbs. in one month...all healthy too, thanks to my wife. Went down to a 800-1200 calorie a day diet with "balanced" meals. I've been going for 45-60 minute walks every day, and drinking lots of Water. Why go for the band then???? Well, I've played this game so many times before, but my will power (lack of) always gets the best of me, and it all comes back on, and then some. Sound familiar?? With this "tool", I am hoping to solve all of my previous will power issues, and get down/stay down, once and for all. It is a challenge that I am looking forward to conquering, and sustaining for the rest of my life.

HI lapbandade

I am too from Boise and just had my surgery done on the 20th who is your surgeon mine was Cahn

welcome

Hi gweniper,

How have been doing since the install? May surgeon is Dr. Anderson. Today is my last day before I go under the knife. I have high hopes for this, and plan to be very religious about sticking to the "rules". I'll start going to the local support group sometime after a little healing. Have you been to any?

hi Lapbandade,

so far so go any getting tired of liquids and having to become inventive somedays to get all teh Protein I need 60+grams a day. I was going to go monday to the support group but time got away from me. My husband is getting his lapband the 10th of sept so we will be 3 weeks apart and so it will be great having someone in the house supporting me. good luck tomorrow it is a relatively fast procedure.

Hi gweniper,

How have been doing since the install? May surgeon is Dr. Anderson. Today is my last day before I go under the knife. I have high hopes for this, and plan to be very religious about sticking to the "rules". I'll start going to the local support group sometime after a little healing. Have you been to any?

Hi lapbandade - how did your surgery with Dr Anderson go? I have an appointment with him next Monday. Did you get the Inamed lap band or the new AP (bubble) band? Also, how much did it end up costing? A friend of mine had hers done a couple of years ago and said the cost was about $2000 out of pocket (she had private health insurance as I do).

Hi and welcome!

I'm not from Boise but I do attend BSU online. :)

Hi ShineNSta,

The surgery with Dr. A went real well. He's really good, and knows his stuff. He's pretty tough about getting you to lose the weight, and really nice if you do. My second visit (before surgery) I had gained about 8 oz., not even a pound, and he was on my case. I said to myself, that won't happen again. Monday I had my 6.5 week visit with him, and have lost 18 lbs. in 5 weeks (total of 50 in 10 weeks) since the first post-op. visit. He was thrilled, and I think, shocked, as he said most people don't lose as much or at all until after the first fill. Needless to say, he decided not to do a fill. Hooray!!! I am hoping to keep it up and maybe never have to have a fill. I have not been hungry since the surgery, and sometimes probably wouldn't even eat if I didn't need the Protein. For me, this thing is a "deterent" tool more than anything else. I absolutely do not want to get sick, as vomiting almost kills me. If, at some time, I overeat and do vomit, I guaranty it will only happen once. That's how much I hate it.

You know, I don't even know which band I have. I know it's in the paperwork somewhere, but have never given it much thought. All I know is that appears to work, unless it is all psychological.

I guess I am lucky, as I have really good insurance. The whole procedure cost me about $300 out of pocket. I went to his seminar on July 23rd, and decided then and there to have it done. I had my first weigh-in on July 29th, finished all the

paperwork and took care of all the prerequisites (psych. exam, blood work, dietician, etc.) and had the surgery on Aug.30. I did tell the doc. that if I couldn't get it done in August, it would probably have to "weight" until after the first of the year because of family responsibilities. I didn't want that to happen, and was fortunate that everything worked out.

Is this your first visit with Dr. A? When are you hoping to go in for your surgery? I hope it all goes well for you. Keep us all posted. I know I am thrilled, so far. I never thought I would ever be able to lose the weight again. So far, I'd say it's been easier than I thought. Once it's all off the real trick will be to keep it off. My biggest problem is, I am having a little trouble ridding myself of the bad eating habits formed since my teenage years. I think good family/friends/forum support groups are essential to suceeding. I am pretty sure I couldn't do it without. Take care!!

Wheetsin,

I hope this means that you're a Bronco fan? Did you see the game on ESPN the other night? WOW!! If not, it'll be on again tonight...ESPN Classic at 6:00 PM. Where are you hiding out? What are you majoring in at BSU on-line? I see you were banded back in March. How are you doing with the band? Any problems? How much have you lost so far? Oh, and yes, sometimes life is a big joke.....and I usually don't get it either.

Hi Diane,

How are you doing since being banded? Gweniper also had Dr. Cahn. Last I heard she's doing well. If all you Idahoans want to keep communicating, we should probably hop over to the Idaho Section of the "USA Local Lap-Band Support Groups area. Hope to see you all there.

I have BC/BS as of Jan. 08 so I am beginning the journey to having a band....not exactly the 'band group' I was dreaming of joining but, I'm sure this group is FULL of rock stars. Anyway, I'm attending Dr. Anderson's free seminar on Oct. 23rd. My goal is to be banded by May 2008. Any one have experience with Dr. Anderson at St. Al's in Boise? Who did you go to as a GP Doc, pulmonologist, nutritionist?

I'm tired of yo yo dieting. I would LOVE to feel/fill full after just a small meal. and just plain tired of looking at myself in the mirror through the fat filter.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you in Boise. Thanks. m

Hi Lapbandade and all other Idahoans

me and hubby are doing great. Tim has lost 60 pounds since starting the pre-surgery diet and I have lost 42 pounds since pre-surgery diet. I hit a stand still for about 3 weeks and now am slowly losing again. Tim is at his stand still. our 4 yr old is constantly asking if what we are eating has Protein or not. she has listened too much and thinks everything has protein now. we are slowly teaching her.

good luck to all