Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need someone to ease my mind (money matters)

I'm under blue cross blue shield my co-pay for my hospital stay is going to be $2,500 (I checked and checked again and this is indeed the correct amount.) I will also be paying 15% of what it takes to perform the surgery during my consultation I was told this wouldn't be more then $3,000 dollars. I have a massive pit in my stomach. I understand a copay will be expected upfront, but if I'm going to be expected to pay the rest of this upfront I'm probably not going to be able to get this for up to a year. Does anyone know if payment plans can be made in something like this? Any experience anyone can offer to help ease my mind?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Are these copayments or a deductible? Are you going to a surgeon who participates in BCBS? Usually the amount you would pay is a % of the allowed amount - not the surgeon's fees. I would call your insurance and ask them for an estimate of out of pocket expenses - they should be able to tell you.

You can often make payment arrangements - talk to your surgeon's insurance coordinator and the finance department at the hospital.

Edited by KristenLe

I would call the hospital or faclity where you will have the surgery and see what they will work out for you. Most places will set up a payment plan, as long as you arrange it in advance. If you show up on the day of surgery and expect them to work it out, you probably won't have much luck. Look at it this way, they want your money, it is why they are in business. Make it easy for them and they will most likely work with you. Best of luck on your journey!

Edited to add: get any agreement in writing. It helps avoid confusion down the road!

Edited by SuperDave

Yes talk with them in advance regarding payment arrangements. There probably won't be any problem. Your insurance you probably also have a "max out of pocket".....so know what that is will help you to know the most it will cost you all together.

If you have to wait until next year maybe you can get the max amount on a flexible spending acct. I went that route and because everything was already pre-credited on the card I just paid that way

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

Yes they do have a payment plan get with the financial counselor at the hospital before surgery. I also have blue cross blue shield my copay was 2000 with a 1000 to pay out of pocket I paid 180 and was put on payment plan

Sent from my VS987 using the BariatricPal App

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm waiting to do the surgery in January so I can put the costs ($1550 deductible and max of my 10% of my procedure which is $500) on my flexible spending account card. Just made more sense to me than trying to scramble to make arrangements and/or save the money.

If you have to wait until next year maybe you can get the max amount on a flexible spending acct. I went that route and because everything was already pre-credited on the card I just paid that way

HW 341 lbs
07/19/16 - 298 lbs
08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs
CW 270 lbs

I'm under blue cross blue shield my co-pay for my hospital stay is going to be $2,500 (I checked and checked again and this is indeed the correct amount.) I will also be paying 15% of what it takes to perform the surgery during my consultation I was told this wouldn't be more then $3,000 dollars. I have a massive pit in my stomach. I understand a copay will be expected upfront, but if I'm going to be expected to pay the rest of this upfront I'm probably not going to be able to get this for up to a year. Does anyone know if payment plans can be made in something like this? Any experience anyone can offer to help ease my mind?

Did you get your surgery?

I am still waiting on approval. I have been denied twice.

Cocoon to Butterfly

@@Cocoon2Butterfly I am sending you positive energy for your new beginning don't give up! I had my surgery November 7th! I picked up another 13 hour day during the week & saved every dime I earned up until it was my time. It was one of the most incredible feelings holding all of that money, it seemed so impossible when I was starting out.

@@Cocoon2Butterfly I am sending you positive energy for your new beginning don't give up! I had my surgery November 7th! I picked up another 13 hour day during the week & saved every dime I earned up until it was my time. It was one of the most incredible feelings holding all of that money, it seemed so impossible when I was starting out.

Very happy for you that it worked out. I am so motivated to not let this insurance approval to get me down.

Cocoon to Butterfly

@@Cocoon2Butterfly I am sending you positive energy for your new beginning don't give up! I had my surgery November 7th! I picked up another 13 hour day during the week & saved every dime I earned up until it was my time. It was one of the most incredible feelings holding all of that money, it seemed so impossible when I was starting out. Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Great post! I wish that I could like it multiple times. Congratulations and I wish you success!