Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Afternoon,

So with my surgery date coming up on August 30th, I wanted to ask about how you looked after surgery. See with me I have always been told that i am very proportional for my size. I have the nice size breast and a nice behind...that i am a pretty "thick boned girl." Family and friends have also said that they cannot see me being any smaller and that i may not look right. I just want to know if anyone else has gotten that and did you prove them wrong once the weight was lost? I know for a fact i will have sagging skin, Hair loss etc.... i work in cosmetics which will help me out with those problem areas but i have big cheeks and i am hoping they will go down in size lol... I dont know maybe i am over thinking it as well....but just let me know! I am getting this surgery done to help myself i have been big ALL my life and i have opted out of so many events because of how i was.

Thank you!

Vanessa :)

Vanessa, you are stunning girlfriend! Do not let others thoughts get in your head...you will still have curves just not as big! LOL.... you are gonna love the way you look and so will the others! Watch and see...

I think people tell you that you won't look right small because you being a certain size is their comfort zone. Also a lot of people are comfortable being fat and they don't want someone else small. As I am losing and getting down comfortably in regular sizes 14, moving to 12, I hear so many things from people I realize they are being completely ridiculous. One of my friends claims she can never get into regular size pants because of her butt, but umm you can have a big butt and be small, so that doesn't even make sense. She trailed off after she said it, so I think even she realized she was being silly.

I had turned into an apple leaning to pearish. Now that I have lost weight, I am a very serious hourglass. I went from a 50DD to a 38F/G. Something like 44/45-32-44/45 My waist is very defined.

Yeah I have loose skin/flab on my stomach and inner thighs. My outer thighs have toned up nicely, with the cellulite improving and everything. The inner thighs are just thin loose skin. Still with clothes, etc its not a big deal. I have long thighs and as long the inseam is 5 inches, I can wear shorts fine.

I have high cheek bones and I had big cheeks, I would have problems with sunglasses because they always hit my cheeks, not anymore. I never had a hugely fat face. I didn't have a fat neck or a big double chin. My face is just overall smaller.

I remember someone telling me that if I lost weight I would have a big head and little body or something stupid like that. That isn't the case at all. I am very proportional. I am proportional to the point that lately I have really had to examine what I thought about myself before. I thought I was meant to be large, but now as I am losing and in regular sizes. This looks and feels comfortable. I was this size in HS/College. It isn't completely foreign to me, but I didn't have an hourglass shape before.

I never wanted to be smaller than what I am now, but now that I am here. I can easily see that I could get down to a size 10 or 8 and be perfect comfortable and still very shapely. So I am not going to stop until my body stops. I'm not afraid of getting too small because I just don't think it is possible to get too small.

Don't let other people project their issues onto you. "They don't want you to win".

Don't let others' misinformed pre-conceived notions of what you'll look like color your future. I almost let that happen to me. One person told me my face and neck were going to sag, and that I'd need a lift. She went as far to tell me that in a year she was going to follow up and make sure that I took care of it.

I've been obese my entire adult life - 20+ years. I have pictures of myself at a normal weight from when I was a teenager - from when I was told I was getting fat and needed to lose weight. I had a rockin' body then! So, I have a general idea of what I'll look like in clothes, but I know I will be saggy - I'm much older now. That's just a fact of life.

You are beautiful - there's no doubt about it. If there is something about your appearance as you slim down that you're not as happy with as you'd like, you'll address it. It might be with makeup, clothes, foundation garments, or some other physical method, but it will be on your terms and based on your opinion. Don't let someone else's insecurities of their own appearance or their opinions about what you should look like influence you. You've made the decision for the surgery for your own good. Keep up that perspective as you continue, and you'll do fine.

I hope your recovery is going well, and good luck in the future!