Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have real bad knee pain and need to kick start this weight loss but I'm in constant pain because of my knees. I want to exercise but it hurts to bad. Any ideas? My hospital I'm going with wants to get me in Water aerobics. But I want some more things I can do. I have to lose 20lbs on my own. I want to show that I'm determined. I need help.

determined1LD

If you have knee pain, Water is pretty much your only safe option.

You can lose weight changing how you eat which may be easier than exercising in your case.

Look here and see if they way of eating appeals to you at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

You can always get one of those foot pedallers, put it on a table and use it to exercise your arms. I've seen them as cheap as $20.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using the BariatricPal App

I agree that the Water is your friend: Water aerobics, swimming, water weights, water calisthenics, water walking, etc. I can do so much more in the water than I can do on land.

If you want something to do on land, try chair exercises.

Pre-op, I got an exercise peddler and pedaled it with my hands while I watched tv.

What about a stationary bike? Very non impact and something you can do at home.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for these ideas but the bending and straightening of knee hurts as well I'm on bone on bone and will need knee replacement surgery after this one. Any other ideas ????

determined1LD

Look into chair aerobics. I know they offer it near me and I think there are also videos. It basically is exercise for people in wheelchairs so upper body only. You could also do small weights in addition to the videos and Water exercises.

Thank you for these ideas but the bending and straightening of knee hurts as well I'm on bone on bone and will need knee replacement surgery after this one. Any other ideas

determined1LD

Crappy knees? Check.

Hurt to bend? Check.

Knee replacements in the fairly near future? Check

Ongoing need to exercise to help with weight loss and overall health? Check, check, freakin' check !!!

I'm in the same boat.

Sometimes it feels like the boat is taking on Water and the sails are shot full of holes.

I have zero medical training other annual first aid, CPR and the like. So take anything I ever say with a grain of salt.......and extreme skepticism, lol.

I'm just a fat guy trying to get less fat, more healthy and stay active up through the nursing home years and beyond.

When I was pre-op I was told, "Great news, fella, you have a high enough BMI that there's no risk of you falling below the minimums for insurance to cover the surgery......so....we need to see you lose some serious weight prior". Lucky me, right ?

The fact that I never used insurance due to their bs delay tactics and shenanigans is an entirely different story.

I did engage in the pre-op challenge of losing weight and dropped 55 lbs prior to surgery.

Due to a back injury (the final catalyst that helped me make the decision to have wls) I was sorta hemmed up and not really able to do much in the arena of exercise. My only real hope at weight loss was to work on the other side of the equation.....reducing caloric intake.

I began with their recommended low calorie diet, but soon moved into more of a low carb approach and did so with an eye on total calories, too. The scale began to move along nicely, even though my own movement was minimal.

Once post op the weight loss continued at a better clip and exercise was easier to do. The more progress I made.....the more progress I could make....and so forth.

Knees suck, though, and I didn't heed my doctor's warning. Gym work was too fun and I continued to pound the treadmill and elliptical like a beast.

Enthusiastic newbie overkill occurred.

Now.....ten months later I'm having significant daily issues with the knees....both are beyond the timeframe the ortho docs said would be my" replacement age".

I wish I could go back to the month after surgery and approach it differently.....I would have joined a different gym....one with a swimming pool and used it for frequent lap swimming.

As it is, I've been sidelined from cardio for over a month and it sucks.

The stationary bike is about it for the time being. I may still do the swimming pool, however, that spot is miles out of my way and has a prohibitive lap swim schedule. My work hours over the next few months are amped up as well.

Careful weight training and stationary bike as well as much walking on the job are the ticket for me know.

Please.....please.....carefully consider the recommendations for aqua fitness. The Water is where it's at in terms of safety.

If you truly have bone on bone arthritis in your knees, then you can't exercise on your legs. You need to get knee replacements. My mom was bedridden from the pain until she got her bilateral knee replacements. Now she's moving around and can exercise no problem. She said it was the hardest surgery she ever went through, but also the most worthwhile. Good luck. I know how horrible you must feel. My mom couldn't make it from her bed to the kitchen without crying from the pain. You can use light weights while seated, but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have bone on bone arthritis both my knees. My orthopedic surgeon opted to inject Synvics1 (gell filler)vs. a knee replacement because he feels that should be my last option. I get the injections on both knees once a year or longer and I have been pain free. I work out about 4 days a wk. with no issues. I'm not saying this would work for you but it's worth asking your doctor about it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App