Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I hit a stall [emoji25] help please!

Hey all,

I think I hit a stall and would really like some advice please.

I am 14 weeks out from my roux en y.

I am now weighing in at 177lbs, and my BMI is 24, I'm 185cm tall and a 41 year old male.

For over a week now my weight has not really moved, a few days back I actually went up a couple of lbs I was horrified, but then today I'm back to 177.

I would like to get another 7-14 lbs off if possible.

I'm getting around 80g of Protein in each day, around 45-55g of carbs, and about 700-850 calories. I'm getting about 60oz of Water in a day.

My post surgery food experience has not been smooth. At 14 weeks I'm still not managing a lot of the foods my team have suggested.

I can manage 1 ryvita, a couple of slices of chicken, a small yoghurt, and roughly about 3-4 table spoons of cottage pie, lasagne, or beef and vegetable stew, mashed potato, scrambled egg, a small boiled egg, 3 spoons of cottage cheese.< /p>

I'm really struggling to get much more than that in, I am mostly using Protein powder (1g carbs,23g protein), or Protein Bars (low sugar).

I'm managing to get my Vitamins most of the time, but they fill me up to the point of almost being sick.

I have vomited a lot but checked this out with the hospital, and they just said take a step back with food.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible.

I really would like to get this last bit of weight off. I know my BMI is in the healthy range but I feel that getting this last bit off will really help to keep my diabetes under control.

Many thanks

Ian

(Me before and a couple of weeks back)

post-291490-14715640076599_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The lack of hunger is normal and the stall is normal, unfortunately. Sometimes your body needs a break from the rapid weight loss. From your body's perspective, you're starving and it must do everything it can to save what remaining fat stores you have. Besides not getting quite as much Water as you need, it sounds like you're doing everything right. My advice would to be patient and keep focusing on your protein/water intake. The rest will come off. Hang in there. :)

I totally agree with Cervidae.

My Dr. said to throw away the scale, but that is the only measure system even he uses with every visit, and we do need to watch for long term changes as well as how we feel and our size changes.

I am 3 months out, and too have slowed to almost no loss in 4 weeks.

I weigh only 1 time a week, and find its a mental challenge, but I feel and look the best I have in years, and must remember to stay the course.

Best to you.

I looked at your before and after photo and it is not the same person. Perhaps it is the nose piercing!

To answer your question - stalls happen. One thing to do now at this stage is to assess your Protein intake. Your Protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein from your meals combined with the protein from your supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars). Since your meal volume is beginning to increase, that also means that the amount of protein from meals is increasing, especially if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals. Therefore you could be able to reduce your reliance on supplements and the extra calories they contain. I went from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2, then 1 and finally zero when my meal volume increased to 1 cup per meal at a year and a half. This was the approach I used to break my stalls.

The transition to solid foods such as steak and chicken was difficult for me. So I relied on softer foods such as chili and Soups. I made my own and fortified them with extra protein. I would mix up a pot and it would last me for several days. It also had an advantage because it allowed me to exactly know how much protein, calories I was consuming at each meal. At the end of the following article, I have provided recipes if you care to try. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I had type 2 diabetes prior to my RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. I was taking two types of prescription medication. And even that was not controlling my blood sugar levels. When I walked out of the hospital 2 days after surgery, I was off all my diabetes medication and I haven't taken any since. I periodically test my blood sugar levels and they are good. I think the key to keeping the diabetes in remission after surgery is to stay away from all processed sugars.

You look great and may be close to a good weight.

That said, your Protein and calories both seem really low, especially for a guy.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Thank you James and Inner Surfer Girl. It is indeed me, but yes I lost the lower lip piercing lol and moved it to my nose . I'm really struggling with food still at the min and vomiting again today. Am looking forward to reducing the Protein shakes though once I get better with food. I've just spoken to my hospital and been given some advice about foods to try. I will print off the recipes you have sent thank you so much! That's amazing news about your diabetes!! They are miracle workers aren't they . I will read the link you sent too Inner Surfer. I haven't had any guidance from the hospital about why levels of Protein I should be having. They said they want me to have 1000-1500 calories a day but I just can't achieve it at the min.. but I keep trying. Thank you so so much again

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I put 2lb on about 5 months post op. I was only having 600 calories. I increased my calories by making smoothies with coconut milk, yoghurt, avocado, spinach, frozen berries and Protein powder. It increased my calories to about 850 a day. That week I lost the 2 I out on plus 2 more!

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams