Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy for clearance

Hi all- my process that I must go through for surgery includes an endoscopy. I had one less than 2 years ago and the coordinator at my doctors said that it suffices. However, I have heard that for this specifically, they do an HPiLori (sorry if it's not the correct spelling) and I am concerned that it wasn't done for my endoscopy that I had. Does anyone know if this is a regular thing that they do during endoscopies? Lol may be a stretch but I am hoping someone knows the answer. I've left a message for the coordinator but she's on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They typically do test biopsies for H pylori and other things. However, my surgeon wAnted mine done by their group that specializes in bariatric surgery clearance. I had to drive 2 hours away to their hospital to get it done. They wouldn't accept one if I got it done locally.

I did have h pylori and it is NOT something I'd take a chance on.

My surgeon required an upper endoscopy both for the imagery and pathology it provided as well as the h pylori test. I also did a breath test for h pylori.

FWIW - my endoscopy revealed I had celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that I'm now treating while recovering from sleeve surgery. So the endoscopy was hugely important to me.

My surgeon likes to do her own EGDs. That way she gets a good look at the inside of the stomach and can check for any issues, along with an h. pylori test.

My Surgeon did my endo. He likes to see what's going on inside before he does the surgery. But every doctor is different. If they say the one you had done is good, then trust your doctor. I'm sure that your isn't the first surgery hes,done ????. He has his program and you will be fine. If you are really that concerned talk to your team.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon likes to do her own EGDs. That way she gets a good look at the inside of the stomach and can check for any issues, along with an h. pylori test.

Same thing with my surgeon.

The endoscopy was almost like a practice run of the surgery itself.

My surgeon required an upper endoscopy both for the imagery and pathology it provided as well as the h pylori test. I also did a breath test for h pylori.

FWIW - my endoscopy revealed I had celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that I'm now treating while recovering from sleeve surgery. So the endoscopy was hugely important to me.

I have Celiac Disease too.

@@ML573663 Maybe you can just do the h pylori breath test instead. might be worth asking.

how long have you had celiac?

Edited by higher

@@ML573663 Maybe you can just do the h pylori breath test instead. might be worth asking.

Thanks, I'll inquire about that. I was diagnosed with it a little over 3 years ago, but I think I was dealing with a lot of the issues for many years before that (the diagnosis was a surprise to me). How about you?

Thanks, I'll inquire about that. I was diagnosed with it a little over 3 years ago, but I think I was dealing with a lot of the issues for many years before that (the diagnosis was a surprise to me). How about you?

The diagnosis was a total surprise to me too, but does explain a few years of health issues I was having as well. Crazy stuff. My family members are getting tested now as my GI says there is a 1 in 10 chance they carry the gene since I have it.

I will say the GF diet plays nicely with the post op sleeve diet, and it is a guarantee I will never eat the foods like pizza and Pasta that got me so fat ever again. Of course there are GF alternatives but those don't appeal to me, at least at the moment. I am still learning about hidden sources of gluten- especially in sauces like soy or Worcestershire.

How did you feel after 3 years on the Gluten Free diet?

@@ML573663 also, I am doing a capsule endoscopy next week and another one in 6 months so my GI can document the changes to my intestines on a gluten free diet. It's a tiny 360 camera- pretty cool! Did you do that?