Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much? Metformin?

I'm 3 weeks post op. I have lost 20 pounds but definitely seem to have hit the 3 week plateau. And I'm worried because I'm feeling hungrier and like I need more food. Last night I ate almost 1/3 of a porkchop. I ate it slowly and in small bites. But I feel like I shouldn't be able to eat that much? Should I have stopped sooner?

Also, my surgeon wanted me to stop my metformin but my endocrinologist wants me to take it even though my blood sugars are no longer an issue. I took metformin years before I had blood sugar issues. How didmost of you handle your metformin? My surgeon said we can add it back later because it can provide a boost to the surgery, but I guess I feel like why wait for the boost? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, everyone is going to give you different advice and only YOU can decide what you want to do.

On the pork chop. I was still on soft foods at 3 weeks, so meatt (sic) was not a thing for me yet. As far as how much you ate? Was the pork chop 4oz, 6oz, 12oz? One third doesn't really say much when the overall size is unknown.

On the meds... I'd listen to my surgeon. She/He knows more about what's going on with your insides right now than your endo. That's just MY opinion, though.

rather than pick or choose who to listen to, I'd ask endo to speak to your bariatric team to come up with a single plan for you to follow. Endo may have reasons the bariatric team are not aware of and I would want to make double sure it was ok before stopping ANY prescription medication.

My PCP and bariatric team were in agreement about me going of Metformin 3 days before surgery and that is one of the best things that happened for me because I did not like the side effects of that medication!

I was on soft foods at that time, but I was allowed chicken because I don't eat fish. - I was more numb inside my stomach early on and needed to weigh my portions because I didn't get the normal full feeling until it was a couple of bites too many. as time went on the sensations return to your stomach and it will be easier to tell if you are having enough vs. too much.

Thanks for the replies! The endo wanted me to stop for two weeks and then restart. My surgeon just felt it was unnecessary. Getting doctors to communicate has been a pain for me.

I realized I should have posted the weight of the pork chop - it was approximately 4-5 ounces. I think I am struggling with feeling full until it is too late.

When you weighed out your Protein, how much do you allow yourself?

I wasn't allowed meat at your stage, but even months later I struggled to eat more than a couple ounces at a time, especially of a dense Protein like pork. Take it slow, you are still very early out.

Yeah, I think I'm pushing too much. I was clear liquid for 10 days and then soft Protein. Trying meat the last couple days - it is supposed to be shredded so I cut the pork in tiny pieces but I probably should have waited. Thanks for the reminder :)

I'm 3 weeks post op. I have lost 20 pounds but definitely seem to have hit the 3 week plateau. And I'm worried because I'm feeling hungrier and like I need more food. Last night I ate almost 1/3 of a porkchop. I ate it slowly and in small bites. But I feel like I shouldn't be able to eat that much? Should I have stopped sooner?

Also, my surgeon wanted me to stop my metformin but my endocrinologist wants me to take it even though my blood sugars are no longer an issue. I took metformin years before I had blood sugar issues. How didmost of you handle your metformin? My surgeon said we can add it back later because it can provide a boost to the surgery, but I guess I feel like why wait for the boost? Lol

One thing I have noticed, everyone gets personalized instructions from their surgeon and NUT....and they are all different

I stopped Metformin three days before and was told not to take it again. My blood sugar shot through the roof immediately after surgery but then stabilized before my release. It's been normal since. So happy to have one less pill to take!!

I was taken off Metformin immediately after surgery, in the hospital. My A1C has gotten better and better. Thank God.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

The last time I took my regular dose of metformin, I ended up rolling on the floor in pain. I nearly called 911. My doctor took me off of it immediately.

I was taken off Mertformin by my surgeon because it was a XR medication and was told that I can not take XR medications anymore.