Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel after? Are you hungry? Does food mess w/ your head?

I'm 5 days post op and believe me when they say you will be moody (It's going to get ugly)! I haven't had a lot of food cravings but smelling fresh bread makes me alittle sad. My husband eats whatever he wants but he's considerate and mindful so take it one day at a time and start training your body and mind for the months ahead.

Sent from my Z987 using the BariatricPal App

Hi-

I am having the sleeve done on Sept. 13th. I have been thinking alot about my relationship with food and for the fisrt time, I am admitting that I have a problem with food. I am so scared that I am going to be hungry. What did you do to help your relationship with food and eating? How do you calm your mind down when the head games start? I feel like the mental part of this is going to be the hardest part to overcome. For all of you who have just started your journey and for those that have been traveling a while, what advice do you have? Thanks for any responses.

I just had my surgery done yesterday 8-15-16 and while in the hospital on a clear liquid diet. I love food as well but after surgery I didn't think about your food you will do great.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just had surgery 8/8

I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder since childhood. You are right this is about working very hard mentally and emotionally not just food but on yourself and how you relate to your body. Learning new ways to self soothe without food is very important. Learning how to care for self without food and like others have said listening to what is really hunger. I am on that journey and it is challenging. One day at a time and use every support you can get.

Geneen Roth has many good books about emotional eating and relationship with food

"When food is love" and "Women, food and God" are two most popular.

Goodluck to you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm having mine in the same date and have the same problem. I'm preparing the house. I went out and bought premiere Protein shakes, prepared sugar free puddings, diet Arizona teas, Water filter pitcher...... If you want to travel together on this journey let me know. I get more nervous and more excited everyday it gets closer.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

That would be great. Are you on FB? Friend me. Emili Marrs :)

Hi-

I am having the sleeve done on Sept. 13th. I have been thinking alot about my relationship with food and for the fisrt time, I am admitting that I have a problem with food. I am so scared that I am going to be hungry. What did you do to help your relationship with food and eating? How do you calm your mind down when the head games start? I feel like the mental part of this is going to be the hardest part to overcome. For all of you who have just started your journey and for those that have been traveling a while, what advice do you have? Thanks for any responses.

I just had my surgery done yesterday 8-15-16 and while in the hospital on a clear liquid diet. I love food as well but after surgery I didn't think about your food you will do great.

Congrats and thanks! Keep us updated on how things are going. :)

I had my surgery 7 days ago and yes I feel hungry but in a different way. I thought going in I would have an absence of hunger but I don't. It's different more muted and a combination of real hunger and head hunger. At times I've craved carbs like Pasta and pizza but then craved broccoli, bean sprouts and eggs.

Personally I feel like GS is allowing me to really step back from my eating habits and obsessions. I was really surprised how much of my every day living was anchored to food: planning, fantasizing, preparing, etc.

I hope when I am cleared for regular food that my food limit will encourage me to make better nutritional choices rather than the frivolous ones from before.

HW 341 SW 298 DOSW 286 CW 271 DOS 08/09/16

I only have real hunger if I don't eat for like 18 hours.

Post-op when before soft foods, when you haven't been able to chew anything real for almost a month or so, there is a lot of head hunger. Once soft foods hits, head hunger is gone. My relationship with food changed at that point because I had to be very cautious with eating so I didn't become overly full or cause myself pain. So that helped really detach me from food.< /p>

I am still a foodie and I still love and enjoy food, but it doesn't rule my life. It is something I need to fuel my life, but it isn't life.

I would just say in the beginning, take the acid reducers the first 6 months. I never had stomach acid issues prior to VSG and I thought I could skip them. Not taking them, caused me problems that I could have easily avoided.

I am finally free...I finally said goodbye to the use of food for coping. I had so much head hunger while I was on liquids. That was hard. I never cheated on any of my diet phases, I just felt a lot grief over the loss of the coping mechanism. I was slow to feel confident in my ability to change my relationship with food for the rest of my life. I was a sugar/carb addict. But, slowly I developed a healthier approach to food. I need fuel, not entertainment or comfort. I slowly but surely found the will to disconnect my entire life from food. I made peace with it. I now eat to survive and enjoy other things. I am no longer obsessed with what I can eat next. I just think about efficient ways to get my nutrition now. I can go grocery shopping without anxiety. I had full-on panic attacks at first; I just couldn't imagine my life without most of what is in that store. Now I am able to go in for what I need, and I ignore the other stuff. It's a good feeling. I am so glad I had the surgery. It has truly saved me. I now love myself more than I love food.

I am 7 weeks post op and the for the first month, I never thought about food and loved that. Now I do think about food but mostly what I can have or want that will help me continue on my weight loss journey. So far, I have stuck to my plan and don't feel deprived. I eat out a lot while socializing and have found it easy to find something on the menu I can eat or adapt. Then when I begin to eat and realize, again, I can't eat much, eating just isn't much of a big deal anymore. This is a good journey so far!

You summed it up exactly how I feel also! I had surgery July 8th, we are pretty close in our timeline

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I see pizza commercials and think I'd really like that, and that's my extent of head hunger. I'm 5 mos out and I still have bigger eyes than I do a stomach. I do get hungry just like before surgery..sometimes I eat and sometimes I don't. I really think about if I'm just bored or feeling uncomfortable, or if I'm legit hungry. It's not a huge issue. I log all my food so I have a good idea if I'm low on my nutrients or not. Hunger isn't a big issue like it used to be, because even when I do have an unplanned snack, I can't eat very much so I can't go into that sabotage mode. Before I was sleeved and I'd be doing well with eating or dieting, if I gave into temptation, I would eat a whole pizza or some awful meal.. then have huge regrets and feel like it was all over. Now I might have a string cheese when I probably don't need it, but I don't feel like I just ruined all my progress, because I havent. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I loved food alot and like to try new things but i dont feel hungry as much i feel thristy, but once I see something I like i miss the taste of it.

Knowing that after couple of months I may be able to taste but not eat loads.

Sometimes I watch my wife while she eats (weird maybe). Sometimes i smell the food. It helps a little as my buddy who is three months out says you should start eating with ur eyes. Let ur eyes, nose and brain record the beautiful aromas and sights.

As if eating not yet. Lets be healthy first and healthy food is delicious.

I saw this post but didn't want to reply because I didn't want to brag about how I don't have head hunger, cravings and what not... WELL the other day, I had to drop my daughter off at a baseball game and when we arrive at the stadium I walk her to the gate entrance to meet up with her team. We were the first to arrive from her team so while we were waiting for a few other team members to arrive I got a whiff of some DEVILISH French Fries. Like the ones on Carnival Eats that have the cider vinegar a cheese and heavy Ketchup.... MMMMMM that one got ME!!! I said ok gotta go! No baseball games or fairs for this girl anytime soon. Don't think I could handle it.

The following day (yesterday)-- I picked my son up from football practice and he shot me a text "I'm over at Burger King could you pick me up there?" So I head over there and park. While waiting for him to come out I'm looking at the pictures on the window and nothing seemed to bother me UNTIL-- The WHOPPERITO? Huh? When was this deliciousness born? A whopper w/cheese wrapped in a delicious pita extra mayo please??? The temptation. It was short lived but DAMN!

Mind over matter.

As other have said, I eat to live now rather than live to eat.. Sometimes I just forget to eat and I feel a little weak and then I remember oh I haven't eaten lunch that's what I need! Sometimes, I do get hungry though.. And it makes me want to have something delicious, then once I eat and have 3-4 tablespoons I'm just as satisfied as if I was to have a full large plate of food.. And I don't feel upset about not managing anymore either, at that point I'm over it