Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritional counseling

What exactly is the 3-6 month nutritional counseling phase? What exactly is the point of it? Are they trying to see if you can lose weight on your own? Or are they trying to see if you have the ability to follow a program since you will have to after surgery? Just wondering. I have not met with anybody yet about surgery. My appointment with my PCM is on September 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I underwent a 6 month diet and exercise program in order to qualify for the surgery. This is a requirement dictated by my health insurance company. The answers to your question are Yes and Yes.

Are they trying to see if you can lose weight on your own? Or are they trying to see if you have the ability to follow a program since you will have to after surgery?

In the past some individuals had surgery, lost weight and gained it all back. Others did not lose any weight at all. Many times this can be attributed to individuals ignoring the surgery plan guidelines.

During the 6 months I kept a food journal. I began reading food labels and caloric breakdown at restaurants that I ate at. I attended bariatric surgery support group meetings. I walked 30 minutes each and every day. I gave up my 6 diet Coke a day habit (no caffeine/no carbonated beverages). I lost 20 pounds.

Another reason why weight loss is important prior to surgery, is to give the surgeon some room to operate in. When I was obese, everything was packed in there very tight. This gave him some operating room to work with.

Nutrition is a HUGE part of post-op and will be for the rest of your life. You will be amazed at how little you will eat post-op. The little food you eat needs to be well balanced. It will also be critical to follow your supplement regiment (Iron, Calcium, multi and B12). I'm 17 weeks post op and became deficient in Vitamin D and Iron. I began taking Vitamin D and doubled my iron. I'm feeling much better (energy wise).

My nurse told me the liquid diet one week prior to surgery is to allow your liver to shrink. I have a fatty liver so my surgeon ordered a liver scan. He also looked at liver during procedure. The "fat" from liver will go away while I loose weight.

I'm a bit more cynical. I had to do a 6 month supervised diet program, that was mandatory from my insurance. I ignored it and even gained weight +7lbs until the pre op diet.

Personally I suspect the supervised diet is meant to dissuade people seeking the surgery. 6 months is a big commitment and I have met people who dropped out bc of it. My insurance is bad ass and covered 90% of the cost, but if they discourage people from following through with the surgery, then more profit for them.

sleeved on 08/09 day of surgery- 268 lbs

I felt like my six month diet helped me wrap my brain around this process. I've read a lot of posts in the past year and researched a ton but I felt like that time was really preparing me for life after surgery. Some programs really want to focus on successful outcomes. I know a few surgeons who build their practice on making sure that this is a lifelong treatment for obesity not just another weight loss scheme. These surgeries are tough and being prepared mentally is important.

During my preop time I would sometimes wish I didn't have to do the six months but post surgery I realize that it gave me time to be full prepared for the lifestyle change.

Having to have the 6 month nutrition class really helped me to understand the whole process. It is truly alot of information. After your procedure, It will all kick in and plus you will have all the info to go back and read over. My book stays open

Edited by Mudgy6

What exactly is the 3-6 month nutritional counseling phase? What exactly is the point of it? Are they trying to see if you can lose weight on your own? Or are they trying to see if you have the ability to follow a program since you will have to after surgery? Just wondering. I have not met with anybody yet about surgery. My appointment with my PCM is on September 6th.

Hi NOVAMOM348,

I'm so glad you asked that question because I was wondering the same thing. I've been reading different posts in the forum for a few days now, but this is my first time posting. I have my first supervised weight loss class this coming Thursday, and even though I know the topic will be Vitamins, I'm not sure what to expect. After 2 years, I was able to get my Dr. to recommend bariatric surgery, and I couldn't be more excited, but it seems like such a long wait, when at the end I'm not even sure if my insurance will approve it. This forum has helped me so much, just reading the stories and experiences, and I look forward to making some new friends on my journey to a new live.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

It's a step the insurance puts in place - I think 6 months is too long (and insurance hopes you'll give up) but found some sessions helpful if you have a good Nutritionist. If they provide you with assistance and guidance as to how you will be eating post-op - it's worth it. I actually found therapy to help more though. Ask ahead of time what the outcome needs to be - some insurances have weight loss requirements, others want to see failure, and others just want you to go through the motions. It sounds like you will be going through specific topics which is good. Just ask questions and keep notes!

Really the centers use the time to prep you for everything to come. They get you going with Vitamins, smoking cessation (which I needed), time for all appointment like psych evaluation, blood work and any other needed testing. Each visit they set 3 goals for me and it has actually been helping. I was pissed that I had to do it at first, but now I'm just grateful for the time to get everything together- it seriously flies by.