Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was allowed thinned mashed potatoes in the liquid stage..and while they were really easy to get down, my body did not appreciate them. I would fall asleep almost instantly after eating them. Yes everyone is different, everyone tolerates things differently.. but after just having a life changing surgery- do you maybe think that doing what ever you want might not be the best idea? Your surgeon(s) said that you'd be off insulin after surgery-- potatoes and other starchy things are not the best option for diabetics as it is. I think you'll have a lot better success with your newly sleeved surgery if you follow guidelines from early on. You'll be setting yourself up for success, instead of letting yourself fall back on bad habits. Most of us got to the point of having weight loss surgery from bad habits and giving ourselves excuses to continue doing what we want. Just some food for thought.

I'm on the UK also but not on the NHS. I was given a strict plan to follow. Trust me....it's worth following it to the letter. I know it's difficult and at times you want certain foods but it's not worth it if you follow your plan you're less likely to have problems with foods as you go along. I'm 6 months post op now and can eat anything I want. I have carbs, fats etc. But in small portions. The drinking rule is also for the following reason....drinking too soon before a meal can fill you up so you can't get your calories in with food. Drinking within half an hour after will wash the food out of the stomach too quickly so you will get hungry after. If you need any help message me. I was given loads of post op info but I found a great food plan on St George's trust website. Google it. It really helps. Just take it slowly. The food stages pass quicker than you think. Don't give in to head hunger. It may slow down your weight loss x

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams

just a visual that may help

I would definately eat very little. Tiny portions and make sure to chew it up very well. You will be lucky if you can get two bites of chicken down. I was warned to stay away from starches also as it would hinder weight loss. Replace with cauliflower and mash that up...it is almost like potatoes..especially if you put butter & cheese with it. :)

@@Ruby81 If you're looking to lose the need for insulin, NOT eating potatoes would be a good start. They're such a high-glycemic food.

What do your post-op instructions say you should be eating right now? Your doctor probably anticipated you following those instructions when he/she made the comments about insulin.

Seriously time to get the adult panties on. Again if you want people to enable behavior, you will have to be ready to accept your weight loss results. People will confront you out of concern. It's all up to you on the choices you make. None of us will do the work for you. Take it for what it is. Advice.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Drinking with meals is also a no no. Just because you think something went down fine, doesn't mean you actually didn't cause internal harm. You're still healing! Doctors didn't get together and come up with the post op diet to make people suffer. You NEED to follow the directions your doctor has given you!

I do what my body is guiding me to go doctors are not always right if they are why have they said as soon I have this surgery I would be off insulin which I still am actually my body I do what I like I'm healing fine all bodies are not the same

Sent from my SM-N910F using the BariatricPal App

<<sigh>> Yep, doctors are such dummies....

If you're not listening to your doctor, you certainly won't listen to us (and actually, you should only ever listen to your doctor anyway, end of story).

But next time maybe don't start off a post by essentially saying "hey I don't like these diet rules and I want to eat what I want, and I'll let you know how it goes"..... Generally posts that start off with telling us you are going to happily defy your doctor's orders are not well received. And don't pop back in to tell us how great the cheating went. You're not going to get high-fives here for that. Most people here do everything they can to comply with every post op request their doctor makes.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree that this behavior is dangerous and should not be validated. BUT, it's not a reason to talk about someone like they aren't present. That was incredibly rude. We'd all be of more assistance to each other if we deal with facts, not emotions. Yeah, it pisses me off to see someone squander a chance like this, when they can achieve better health and move away from self-destructive behavior, and then willingly choose to be non-compliant, but I don't think it helps to express that rudely every time I read something on here that I don't like or agree with. Why does everyone feel the need to be judge, jury and executioner? State the facts and leave it alone. We are not doctors and we are certainly not responsible for anyone but ourselves, so to get all shocked and act like that diminishes your credibility. These things happen.

Edited for clarity.

Unfortunately for me, doing what my body guided me to do got me fat and in a place that I ended up having a weight loss surgery because I was out of control. Having potatoes and gravy right after surgery can be dangerous (if it is not allowed in your plan) and also just continuing bad habits that you obviously want to change, since you did have the surgery to lose weight. Right now, we need to focus on changing our bad habits so that we don't end up gaining our weight back. I wish you luck in your weight loss, and hope that you get better guidance from your doctors. Also, I know how hard it is to NOT drink while you eat. I struggled with that as well, but it does get easier. I would suggest not bringing any drink to the table with you while you eat, so you aren't even tempted. Now, I can wait 30 minutes after a meal with no drink. It will get better:) Good luck with your journey.