Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow. 9 days post op eating chicken WHILE drinking Water and by saying that's harmful everyone is a negative nancy? No. That's not how it works. What she did is dangerous. At 9 days the body is still healing from MAJOR surgery. There is the potential for very serious, life threatening complications by eating off plan. And again, drinking while eating is one of those rules that is pretty much the same across the board. Giving someone facts, no matter how unpleasant or unwelcome, is not shaming or talking [emoji90].

@@biggiesmalls250

I would be interested to hear how you would recommend helping someone who is asking for help, and in serious danger of doing themselves harm. Or do you think it would be best that people shouldn't try to help?

Jo

And to add to @@LPNAshley - it's dangerous to let others think since she did it and "it went down ok" that they can do it too. This isn't cheating on a diet - it's risking your health by not following a medical professional's instructions post major surgery.

Unfortunately we hear so many things from our doctors that do not make sense but they're the doctors. If we knew better then we wouldn't need them. But in regards to those eating food a few days after surgery, I strongly recommend you sit back and think as to why you elected to have surgery. Be strong be determined to make a better life. Weight loss is 80% mental 20% food. We have to be prepared. Don't ruin it by eating foods that got is in this situation. That's how it starts.

You all don't have to jump down her throat the way you are. Just offer advice and simply tell her what she doing is FORBIDDEN. Should she be eating chicken and potatoes 9 days post op?? HELL NO.... but try to explain it to her in a less aggressive way. It annoys the s**t out of me when people talk to me the same way everybody is talking to her. I see it all the time. We are here to help each other not make each other feel stupid

Sent From Galaxy Note 5 using the BariatricPal App

Unfortunately we hear so many things from our doctors that do not make sense but they're the doctors. If we knew better then we wouldn't need them. But in regards to those eating food a few days after surgery, I strongly recommend you sit back and think as to why you elected to have surgery. Be strong be determined to make a better life. Weight loss is 80% mental 20% food. We have to be prepared. Don't ruin it by eating foods that got is in this situation. That's how it starts.

Take notes people. This is how you give advice without being an A-Hole

Sent From Galaxy Note 5 using the BariatricPal App

I remember my first bite of chicken which got stuck. Running around thinking of calling rescue. Thank God I was okay. Be safe newbies, and take caution.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It has been 9 days only and you were able to drink Water, have your chicken with potatoes as well as some yogurt??

I am scared for you a little. I am three months out and I still have to wait an hour before I move on to the second part of an item in my already portioned meal. Maybe I am very paranoid about stretching it..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It has been 9 days only and you were able to drink Water, have your chicken with potatoes as well as some yogurt??

I am scared for you a little. I am three months out and I still have to wait an hour before I move on to the second part of an item in my already portioned meal. Maybe I am very paranoid about stretching it..

Hi. Don't be paranoid. Do things you're comfortable with. In time you'll be ok. It took me a while I can eat more after surgery. I'm now stable at 5 to 6oz of food.

Doing what we're comfortable with is probably in part how most of us ended up here. What she needs to do is follow her doctors post op instructions, or at least contact them before just moving to solid food so soon post op. Telling someone they'll be fine in time is NOT necessarily true and could be incredibly dangerous.

@@Ruby81,

I am glad you’re feeling good after surgery!

It’s true that some patients choose not to eat starchy foods post-op, either because of their own beliefs or because of their surgeon’s or nutritionist’s recommendations. However, there’s no reason why starches, including healthy ones like high-Fiber, high-potassium potatoes, can’t be included in your post-op plan.

Just make sure you can tolerate the starches you choose, and that you can keep portions in check so you don’t go over your calorie limits. It sounds like you’re doing both of those. Also be sure you’re following your doctor’s recommendations – sometimes they don’t seem necessary, but there’s a good chance they’re there for a reason. If you want to know why, ask. Sometimes what feels good now can lead to complications later - you just want to be sure.

The pureed foods (mushies) diet lists usually include watery mashed potatoes, so I see no reason to avoid them if you think you can handle them. I would be super careful to cook the potato very well and would probably puree it and Water it down instead of having a whole piece. Also, just be sure your sleeve is ready for pureed foods – many patients wait 2 to 4 weeks after surgery before adding pureed foods to their liquids.

Good luck as you progress!

@@biggiesmalls250, Thanks for doing your part to turn this into a positive and helpful thread rather than a critical one.

@@Ruby81 .... Are you kidding us? This is a prank post, right?

If not, where did you get your medical degree from? Where did you do your Fellowship in Bariatric Surgery?

What you choose to do will dictate your results. Not just in the weight loss surgery journey, but in all aspects of life.

Wtf are you talking about I'm no fake or prank I have my pic up here if you wanna be rude get lost

Sent from my SM-N910F using the BariatricPal App

Drinking with meals is also a no no. Just because you think something went down fine, doesn't mean you actually didn't cause internal harm. You're still healing! Doctors didn't get together and come up with the post op diet to make people suffer. You NEED to follow the directions your doctor has given you!

I do what my body is guiding me to go doctors are not always right if they are why have they said as soon I have this surgery I would be off insulin which I still am actually my body I do what I like I'm healing fine all bodies are not the same????

Where did you have surgery? Were you educated at all before hand? It bothers me that doctors perform this surgery without giving clear instructions to their patients.

A nutritionist (nut) would help you a great deal. If your surgeon does not have one available to you, you really need to find one that is bariatric qualified.

If you don't have a meal plan or access to a Nut. There are TONS of bariatric meal plans online

Here is one with a lot of great information

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-big-gastric-bypass-diet-guide/

I had my surgery done by the NHS in the uk ok.