Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My own personal nightmare

After a history of surgeries including gall bladder, female issues resulting in a hysterectomy appendix and a few others I though I was gong to be ok. I went back to college after a 20 year hiatus as well as working full time. Then in December of 2011 during finals week I awoke with the worst pain ever. I was rushed to the ER only to find that I had a soccer ball sized mass wrapped around my left kidney causing it to just about rupture..thankfully the doctors and the grace of God saved the kidney and then removed the mass. After a week of being home is when the disaster actually started. you see my colon perforated which caused everything in my intestine to fill into my abdominal cavity and then rip my incision open..in short I ended up with a colostomy then a reversal and then several hernia repairs. Sadly this past February my full abdominal mesh became infected resulting in 2 majors surgeries to remove. I needed to lose weight before the mesh could be replaced however after all my surgeries the surgeon was very reluctant. I went on phentermine and it did help however you cannot stay on it forever. Then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, the my numbers hit diabetic type 2 levels and with being in menopause it was so hard to get the weight to stay off...Finally my surgeon agreed to the gastric sleeve. After 6 months of of going through all the insurance mumbo jumbo I had the sleeve done on August 8th 2016.I started in March of 2016 at about 241 ponds and right before the surgery was 199 pounds.I just came home yesterday after having the surgery and was put on a heart medication due to my heart rate unable to stay at a low and healthy number. I feel ok but this Jello diet is already old...lol..after my colon perforated in 2011 I was on broth and jello for 2 months..so you can see those 2 things are not my favorite. I think the hardest part right now is the drinking..I am not a huge drinker so staying hydrated is a challenge..I do like popsicles so my husband is on the lookout for sugar free ones which will definitely help. Once I get to the stage of yogurt I think I will be ok.. As you can see I have had a long hard road and I thank you all in advance for offering me a group to look to for help. I am so afraid that going off the phentermine is going to make my weight increase quickly and I do not want that. any advice is greatly accepted and appreciated. God Bless to you all

Greek yogurt is best & thicker just one day at a time, the weight will come off without phentermine

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

WOW you have certainly been through the ringer with all those post surgeries you had. You must be a very strong woman to have gone through all those medical problems. If I read correctly you now have the sleeve and are still on the phentermine. Does the surgeon know you are on that medicine? I would discuss it with the surgeon and follow what the surgeon says.

Personally I would think it wouldn't be needed anymore. If you follow the eating plan you were given the sleeve will restrict you from eating and the remaining weight will come off. Good luck with everything and I hope your surgeries days are all behind.

Welcome to "The Boards", friend. You certainly have walked a twisted and complicated path so far.

Ask any questions.

Express your concerns/opinions

There probably will be a member on this site that has experienced whatever you questions about.

But:

Please know ahead of time that is what we are offering to you. We can certainly offer our support. We can share with you our personal experiences. We can share our thoughts and opinions.

We can not and certainly should not ever offer medical advice.

Mostly, personally speaking I want to tell you that I am here and I am always willing to listen.

Again, Welcome, Friend. :)

My goodness, I hope you have a quick recovery and this is the start of a turn around for your health. Kroger has their store brand sugar free popsicles that are really good and made with Splenda. Best of luck to you.

I have been only home and I am doing ok. Can't wait to go to stage 2.. I think that will be my turning point. I will still need a major surgery to replace my mesh and that will the scariest part...i am looking to order Snacks and stuff for stage 3 and beyond but looking for non salty and decent tasting treats..any suggestions.. I am so blessed to have all of you <3

Sorry to hear about all your surgeries. I guess I have been very fortunate. I hope this is the beginning of a healthier and more enjoyable life for you.

The gastric sleeve will give you the start you need to reduce food intake and lose weight. I have been successful in losing 32 lbs in 8 weeks. Sounds like we are about the same age - menopausal, prediabetic, and thyroid issues as well! This has helped me where other diets failed. You literally can not overeat unless you are willing to face the consequences...nausea, acid reflux, and the worse...vomitting!

The first phase is the hardest and I'm sure you will be fine once you are past that. I drink and change up my Protein shakes for variety. You should see my collection. I think Chike is my favorite brand - strawberry and the coffee are awesome. I actually have not had much hunger. At 8 weeks I eat three times a day and drink two Protein Shakes in between. I get "head hungry" and want to eat what other people are eating around me but have managed to do well and only cheated a couple of times. I REALLY miss bread, rice, potatoes, and Pasta. Pasta...oh, how I love Pasta. But I am determined to lose this! I can't wait to go from obese to overweight and from overweight to normal. Yea buddy!

God bless you!

just to clarify I went off the phentermine about 2 weeks prior to surgery. @ AmiLou yes sounds as if we could be twins..lol..I love Pasta however found one by Ronzoni called super greens..my husband who cannot stand vegetables actually likes this and I was told it is healthy enough to eat once on a regular diet by my dietitian. All you need is a small amount of butter spray and garlic if you like and your getting your pasta fix.