Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've read some posts about folks dealing with reactive hypoglycemia at about 1 year + out. Im a little over a year out and now struggling with it. Ive read several links explaining what it exactly is. What I'm asking with this post is what are some of your personal remedy foods and emergency Snacks? I could use some ideas. Protein pairing seems to be key.

I definately have this issue although it has improved. It stems from letting too many carbs into your diet.

I like cream of wheat Cereal in the am and if I don't follow that after about an hour with some type of Protein like cheese, Protein Bar or even lunch meat, I will get an episode that simply keeps on going throughout the day.

I have found them to be pretty dangerous because they come on very fast and I have found myself confused and feeling like crap fast. I get the shakes so bad that i sometimes cannot even stick myself to get a glucose reading.

My sugar got so low a couple of weeks ago that it read 32. That was a nasty episode and I had glucose tablets but could not find them.

Since that horrible incident, I try to really limit my sugar intake and I am much more careful now but I will always have glucose tablets at hand just in case. It works the fastest for me when it happens but I want to avoid it happening.

I've dealt with this. It's a lil worse then "dumping" for me. My sugar reading was 294, tho

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

This is what one internet source recommends:

Instead of sugars and simple carbohydrates, eat complex carbohydrates because they release less sugar over a longer period of time. Having a complex carbohydrate with Protein will slow this release even more.

Try putting any of these together when they fit the stage of bariatric diet you are at:
Complex Carbohydrates

whole wheat crackers whole wheat bread
whole wheat pita
whole grain rice

potatoes

cereal

Protein

nuts
cheese
meat
lentils
Peanut Butter

eggs
yogurt

Here are some snack ideas to have to treat low blood sugar:

So far. Mini Peanut Butter sandwiches and cheese and a piece of dark chocolate helps me. I'll look into glucose tablets for those really bad times. I think at my lowest reading, it was in the 40s and I felt like I was dying. I cant imagine the low 30s. Beyond scary.

It's too bad, because it seems to be set off by morning coffees. Only a month ago, my morning coffees weren't a problem. Carbs have made their way back into meals too and that doesn't help.

I'll have to be super mindful. I hear about folks getting bypass reversals because of this stuff, and that's not really in the cards for me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

How does one get a diagnosis of hypoglycemia? I just looked it up and have many of the symptoms.

In a severe state, simple sugar; pez, chocolate, sip of coke or juice; it will get you out of the crises quickly.

I've had hypoglycemia all my adult life (I'm 57). Things I've learned -

• during an episode you crave sugar, but that just works for a little while then you crash again. Don't fall in that trap
  • Things with artificial sugar can trick your body into thinking that it's sugar and cause an episode...especially on an empty stomach.
  • Trail mix is good - has quick pick-me-up with M&Ms, medium-quick pick-me-up with raisins and long-term pick-me-up with peanuts. (I'm pre-surgery so I have no idea if this something you can eat afterwards).
  • Protein drinks and Carnation sugar-free Breakfast drink are good during an episode
  • Listen to your body...if you feel the shakes coming on, get something in you quick.
  • Always carry glucose tablets. they are great. I buy the big bottle and the tube that carries 10 or so and always refill the tube and carry that.

The way I was diagnosed was a 3-hour glucose test. Went to the lab on an empty stomach and drank glu-cola (sickly sweet cola drink) for 3 hours and they tested my blood every 30 minutes.