Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working out after sleeve

Hey guys, I need some advice/help! I am read to increase the intensity of my exercise regimen, however I need some help to battle my fatigue.

A little about me - I had gastric sleeve surgery on 4/14/16 and I weighed in at 297 on 1/1/16. I'm 6'3" and was on the borderline of qualifying for the surgery but due to high blood pressure (which I'm no longer on meds for) and severe sleep apnea (a pain in my ass) I met the requirements. I've always had weight issues and the inability to lose, blah blah blah. I am now at 218 and feel great. I've never been this small, except when I was a toddler. I have been walking regularly and doing some at home general body weight exercises but I'm ready for some weight training.

My main issue is, it is a struggle to eat enough food and get in enough Water throughout the day. It's not that I can't hold it due to constriction, it's I don't want it and it's hard to MAKE myself eat or drink until I start to feel the effects. I am very active, on my feet all day, and stay busy. Protein Bars are my go-to because they're quick and easy. However, by the end of the day I am wiped out. When I get home I just collapse on the couch for at least 45 mins to an hour before I seem to get some energy back. I'm afraid that this will create an even larger issue when I start working out and I am just curious how others have dealt with this issue. I am taking daily Vitamins (which help tremendously) and BCAA.

If anyone has any tips or even workout routines for easing back in, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks for your help in advance!

The picture on the left is the day that I started my 10 day pre op liquid diet. The one on the right was taken about a month ago after a "at home body weight" work out. I have lost a few more lbs since it was taken.

post-270144-14705762458741_thumb.jpg

Kyle

Rome wasn't built in a day! You are only 4 months out, it is going to take time man. Here is a thread very similar to yours with some good information!

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/370974-post-sleeve-working-out/

In a nutshell, don't look for shortcuts, establish good habits, and make it a long term goal.

Rome wasn't built in a day! You are only 4 months out, it is going to take time man. Here is a thread very similar to yours with some good information!

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/370974-post-sleeve-working-out/

In a nutshell, don't look for shortcuts, establish good habits, and make it a long term goal.

Thanks, I just saw your workout regimen and saved it as somewhat of a guide. I know it's not a transformation that can be made overnight but it does help to have a grid to look at. I'm not a fitness junkie, but I'm also not "new" to the gym. It is hard to go in and not hit every body part in one day. The machines make it easy to overdo a workout.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

As to the issue of not wanting to eat. In my opinion, getting in enough nutrition (especially Protein, Fluid, vitamins) is going to be critical in combatting fatigue. Have you talked to your NUT about your challenges and goals? How much Protein are you getting? What is your protein target? Are you eating enough protein right before and right after your workout? Are you staying hydrated?

My exercise of choice is swimming. It can be a great full body exercise. I swim laps, take occasional Water aerobics classes, do Water weights/calisthenics, and stretch in the water.

Do you have a personal trainer at your gym? A personal trainer could help you design a good routine/circuit.

We had a physical trainer come to a recent bariatric support group and he even offered to provide individual advice. Does your bariatric program have a trainer that they work?

Thank you for your comments. I have another post op appointment this week and I'm going to discuss some things with them. My daily goal is 80g of Protein and 60oz of h2o. I have a hard time hitting both goals on a daily basis. I need to be better about logging my food to monitor my intake.

I am always very conscious of what I eat. Limit carbs to a minimum, Proteins first, and add veggies. The sleeve forces you to be a meal planner and some days it's tough to get it all in.

My gym does offer sessions with a personal trainer but all I hear it eat, eat, eat.

Although eating is the key, it's hard because 8 hours a day I am on the go in a fast paced work environment. I usually grab a snack mid morning and mid afternoon and it's usually in the form of a Protein Bar. It's quick and easy.

I will definitely ask my Bariatric team if they know of trainers in the area that works or has worked with WLS patients. Someone a little more familiar with the procedure may help.

Kyle

Definitely agree that you should ease in and get comfortable. One of the mistakes I tend to make when starting workout routines is jumping in too fast, waking up the next day feeling like my limbs are literally going to fall off, and then being in so much pain I don't want to continue working out....not the smartest thing in the world lol.

I started using a site called workoutlabs.com and they have some interesting tools that allow you to either build workouts for specific muscle groups based on the equipment you have access to (or no equipment), or you can choose from pre-made workouts. So I went through and built myself plans for "starting out", and then scaled up a bit by adding a few new exercises per week. Worked out really well for me.

Also I agree 100% with @@Inner Surfer Girl on the swimming! We have a pool in the back yard that is used daily since I was cleared for swimming and there's nothing like it! It's great exercise and it's so much easier on your joints. I tend to do a lot of my cardio in the pool.

You might also consider a trainer. They can help ease you in and show you proper techniques for exercises. Proper technique is really important for avoiding injury and getting the best results.

Congrats on your decision to start working out and best of luck!

Definitely agree that you should ease in and get comfortable. One of the mistakes I tend to make when starting workout routines is jumping in too fast, waking up the next day feeling like my limbs are literally going to fall off, and then being in so much pain I don't want to continue working out....not the smartest thing in the world lol.

I started using a site called workoutlabs.com and they have some interesting tools that allow you to either build workouts for specific muscle groups based on the equipment you have access to (or no equipment), or you can choose from pre-made workouts. So I went through and built myself plans for "starting out", and then scaled up a bit by adding a few new exercises per week. Worked out really well for me.

Also I agree 100% with @@Inner Surfer Girl on the swimming! We have a pool in the back yard that is used daily since I was cleared for swimming and there's nothing like it! It's great exercise and it's so much easier on your joints. I tend to do a lot of my cardio in the pool.

You might also consider a trainer. They can help ease you in and show you proper techniques for exercises. Proper technique is really important for avoiding injury and getting the best results.

Congrats on your decision to start working out and best of luck!

Thanks for the input I will definitely check out the site!

Kyle

I walked alot after my sleeve in oct. Of 15. One day, decided I wanted to do a 5k, do I downloaded the couch to 5k app. It's an awesome app! Highly recommend it. From there, it's just snowballed, bought a bike, done a Metric century bike ride, several 5k's and now 3 triathlons under my belt with 3 more to go this season. Just keep rolling with it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I walked alot after my sleeve in oct. Of 15. One day, decided I wanted to do a 5k, do I downloaded the couch to 5k app. It's an awesome app! Highly recommend it. From there, it's just snowballed, bought a bike, done a Metric century bike ride, several 5k's and now 3 triathlons under my belt with 3 more to go this season. Just keep rolling with it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

That's awesome! I've heard of that app many times. I def need to check it out!

Kyle

In my case, I had problems with food the first months out. I was 1 month out and a swimming competition was going on.

I would say eat something else or more than just the Protein bars. Lots of them are sugary. What else do you eat? I ate a lot of veggies and tried to drink what I could. Any type of shake with Protein powder in it is good too.

In my case, I had problems with food the first months out. I was 1 month out and a swimming competition was going on.

I would say eat something else or more than just the Protein bars. Lots of them are sugary. What else do you eat? I ate a lot of veggies and tried to drink what I could. Any type of shake with Protein powder in it is good too.

I eat the ones that are low sugar. And I have more than just Protein Bars. Usually I have eggs or eggs and turkey bacon for Breakfast, a snack mid morning which is typically a Protein Bar or Peanut Butter crackers. lunch I have something like a grilled chicken wrap or something a long those lines. I try to eat a mid afternoon snack and it's usually along the same lines as the am snack. For dinner I have meat and steamed veggies usually.

I have Protein Powder for shakes but I don't drink them much because it's a pain to take them to work. I make them with milk, not Water.

Kyle

You do some carbs. Where are you getting them from?

Did you workout before the surgery? In my case, I lost 35 pounds the year before surgery. I was working out up to the surgery and then was up and moving a lot.

Vic