Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my pre-op "hosptial" appt surgeon & Anesthesia

In case any of you wondered what to expect.

Of course I wasn't going to see my surgeon, he's too busy/important (I will see him Wednesday), but I saw his nurse and then one of the resident surgeons who I hate to say, did not instill confidence whatsoever.

The nurse went over everything, was able to answer all my silly questions. Assured me the doctor will do the surgery and not the resident. Actually she herself had a gastric bypass 10 years ago, and gave me some tips (the usual ones we find here on this forum). She had me sign some more papers. She didn't have the gallbladder removal, so she went back in the computer and found that, and added it. ugh. The document did list that it was a laparoscopic sleeve with 5 incisions, or (possibly open) don't recall the exact wording. She said that is on every surgery "just in case". Not like they can wake you up if they run into a problem. I was okay with that. She gave me a pre op and post op instructions 2 pager (again, the typical stuff their nutritionist gave me months ago)

I asked her about washing with hibiclens the morning of. She said that isn't necessary. To shower as usual in the morning. She said they do tell patients to wear clean clothes after showering in the morning to the hospital. (not worn before). She went into detail how the operating room staff will be putting something on my body to sanitize.

I'm been dreading the dye drink leak test, but the nurse said they no longer do that. I was surprised to hear that. Maybe they check it another way, forgot to ask her that.

After the nurse left, one of the resident surgeons came in. He just had it all wrong. Wanted to schedule me for surgery (I was scheduled a month ago (scheduled this Wednesday). Told me the wrong surgeon's name. (another doctor in the practice). So he went on to say, that there are three resident surgeons that the bariatric surgeons work with and one of them will be with my doctor during my procedure. I truly hope it isn't him.

Then off to my anesthesia pre-op. This department was running about 30 min. late. ugh. He just wanted to know all of the clearances I had, if I had any list of issues, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, a slew of things. He determined I was healthy, checked my neck range of motion,, looked in my mouth, down my throat visually. Discussed the general anesthesia protocols. I asked him how long the surgery may take as how long I'd be under. He asked what doctor I was having, and when I responded, he said, OH, one hour, he's the best. I was happy to hear that. I brought up my surgeon thick eyeglasses. He laughed and told me the surgeon eye sight is fine, besides, he said my stomach is going to be on the best high definition gigantic screen in the OR. Funny, I know what laparoscopic is, but I didn't really think about the monitor it displays on.

He did say all bariatric patients go to this one area for recovery, because so many obese patients have undiagnosed sleep apnea, so they need more nurses monitoring them while coming out of anesthesia.

then I was sent to the lab for one more surgical test - a blood type screen test.

then I came home and put most my Post-op stuff in one place, rather than squired away in between my families food. (see photo)

I think I'm ready!!!!

post-258580-0-46139400-1470427032_thumb.jpg

Omg thank you for this post! Lol I'm looking at your picture and I'm like wow I need to go shopping! I'm in my insurance approval stage right now looking to be sleeved in September. So nervous, but exciting at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Omg thank you for this post! Lol I'm looking at your picture and I'm like wow I need to go shopping! I'm in my insurance approval stage right now looking to be sleeved in September. So nervous, but exciting at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Yes I am in the approval stage also. Thank you for the information about the pre op. Good to ask lots of questions !

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I would love a list as well. Can never be too prepared. And thank you for all the info. I have been waiting a month for a surgery date. My daughter is getting married late November and I really want to have lost at least 60 lbs. Everyone ion both sides of the family are thin and then there's me at 247 lbs. I so want to look nice in an evening gown. I am going a little crazy waiting. Every time I call to check the status of a surgery date they just say "call back in a week. There are 20 people ahead of you!" But every week they continue to say "They're are 20 people ahead of you!! Ugh!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

@@TransformeVSG I too have TWO weddings. My nephew on Long Island, so I'm flying up exactly one month after for 2 nights. Then my best friend the weekend after on the Gulf Coast Florida (so I'm driving over). I do hope I have the energy.

In my photo (which isn't everything I really have, lol). I have my Magic Bullet blender (had it for years), various types of Protein power (GENEPRO unflavor, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, BariatricPal various flavors and Soups, Syntrax Peanut Butter cookies) PB2, patch MD Vitamins, BariMelt Vitamins, various minerals, nectar powder drinks, stock, boullion cubes and bone broth (chicken, vegie, beef), gas-x (BTW, during my pre-op, the nurse told me I could bring them to the hospital), beano, prevacid, Bariatric samples of fusion shakes, Decaf coffee and decaf peppermint tea, sugar free ice tea, mineral boost drink, my little 2 ounce cups. Not pictured in refrig are other ready to drink Protein Shakes and various types of Water with minerals and or Protein.< /p>

This morning I chose one of the samples i received, the fusion cinnamon bun. Funny, I came out of my room and loudy annouced I was having a cinnamon bun. My daughter dropped her jaw (my DH, just said thats nice and didn't look up, lol). Then showed them my shake. Anyway, first couple of sips, I said, hmmmmmm, it really tasted like a cinnamon bun......but after a while, I was turned off. It was just too sweet. Then again, I don't usually like the real cinnamon Buns because they are too sweet.

I just discovered this app so I am new here. Thank you so much this is a great help. I am about a month and a half preop. I love that you were so detailed with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@trekker954 You said:"I'm been dreading the dye drink leak test, but the nurse said they no longer do that. I was surprised to hear that. Maybe they check it another way, forgot to ask her that."

I didn't have to do a dye test, my surgeon does his leak test by putting Fluid into the abdomen and gas into the stomach, to look for bubbles. Then they suction all the Fluid out, all the extra gas out of the stomach and the abdominal cavity before suturing/glueing the incisions.

Shelterdog, that would be awesome. Its weird, because in my "handbook" they gave me, there is a section dedicated to What to expect in the Hospital and there is an entire two paragraphs dedicated to the Leak Test with the dye, the morning following the surgery. Now granted, this book might be old. I'm hoping not, but clearly I want them to make sure I'm not leaking before I leave the hospital.

I had my sleeve two weeks ago. My surgeon doesn't do leak tests either. He has never had a problem. He dies bunches and has a great reputation. Luckily mine didn't leak. Good luck everyone. I have a little over a week on full liquid and then 3 weeks on the mushy diet foods. I can't wait. Protein drinks are getting tiresome for me.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for this . I go for my pre op and registration at 1145 this morning and then meeting with my DR . Surgery is Thursday morning!

Got the call, I need to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. Yikes. I wonder what time my doctor will actually show up. They always want us so far ahead of them.

Got the call, I need to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. Yikes. I wonder what time my doctor will actually show up. They always want us so far ahead of them.

Surgery is their bread and butter - they're usually on time. Surgery will probably be at 7:30 or 8. Good luck!

Great post, thank you. I finished all the tests and the last thing I need to do is the pre-op testing which includes, blood work, urine test (for nicotine), chest xray and ekg. Now I'm wondering if I'll be going through an anesthesia evaluation as well as I was determined to have mild sleep apnea (no cpap yet). Thanks again, I'll give the nurse a call.

For those who haven't started their hoops... I had to go though ekg stress test with a bicycle, as well as the nuclear stress test with imaging, echo,respiratory testing/pulmonary function, cardiac clearance appointment, sleep apnea test, two nutrition classes, and the dreaded endoscopy. All of them were alright, nothing too painful but some were annoying. The hardest were the stress test on the bicycle lol, and the endoscopy left my throat feeling sore (and a week or so of acid relux which I didn't have before). The nuclear stress test was a breeze. I prefer that over the bike/treadmill stress test.

P.S. Having a band to sleeve revision, after years of the band.

Edited by Sai187