Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PreOp Diet Hunger Help

Hi There,

So I was hoping anyone might have some tips about surviving the pre-op diet. I know surgeons have different recommendations, but mine is had me do 1 week of zero carbs, which I just finished, and now clear sugar-free liquids only for 4 days. I struggled with no carbs in the beginning, but now I'm wishing I had the Protein back, haha. Emotionally, I am handling the restrictions a bit better, but now that I've shifted to almost no calories, I'm feeling a lot of physical symptoms. My stomach is aching with hunger, and I am also dealing with headaches and low energy. Is anyone else going through similar things? Any advice from people who've made it through? My surgeon is being really rigid because they still want me to lose 7lbs in the next few days before surgery, so I really can't even think of cheating :( Has anyone had success distracting themselves from the diet? I'm just trying not to think about the next four days because it's too overwhelming to imagine not eating at all :/ Any advice is totally welcome. Thanks!

Look at it this way, at least you don't have to do 3 weeks of a liquid diet. Clear, sugar free, and broths only. That's literally NOTHING! I'm just praying to God that thanksgiving is smooth sailing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yikes! I thought I had it bad. Have you started the diet yet? How are you coping? Thank goodness they make different flavors of broth...

Look at it this way, at least you don't have to do 3 weeks of a liquid diet. Clear, sugar free, and broths only. That's literally NOTHING! I'm just praying to God that thanksgiving is smooth sailing lol.

One of my strategies was to go to sleep to not think about being hungry. LOL, it worked :D

No I haven't. Won't be until October or November

I'm on day 6 of my 2 week liquid diet and I am good at work and if I am busy. I keep to my schedule of having a Protein drink every 3 hours and a variety of broths, beef, chicken, and veggie and a SF Gelatin cup. I found if I don't stick to schedule I get very hangry...yes hangry :). My only difficult time is making dinner for my family and sitting down with them as they eat their dinner and I have my Protein shake, broth, & Gelatin. I found having a variety of calorie free teas & flavored waters help between "meals". I would say make sure you keep on schedule with eating so you don't get hungry. Hope this helps!

@@AMS3188 Try sugar free popsicles! For distractions - paint your nails, go thru clothes and get rid of anything you don't want, see what you have and in what sizes, take a bubble bath, take a nap, go for a walk, go buy some skin care for post op pampering, etc. Stay strong - you've got this!!!

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now. I'm trying to use the time to really focus on my "coping skills" outside of eating or smoking, lol. Not to be too sappy, but I think there is so much emotional baggage I have used food to cover that I have been starving myself spiritually in other ways. I'm trying to think of feeding myself with self-care instead of calories, but of course it's a challenge. It's nice to know I can find support on here.

@@AMS3188

I love that you are working on coping skills because you will need them. This surgery is big time change, it is hard work. I get upset when I hear that people call this the easy way out. I call Bull**** on that.

I had two weeks of liquid only diet. Then had surgery and was on Clear liquids for a whole 7 days. I felt tired and weak and worse yet brain dead. I remember my husband and I working on our bills. I always wrote the checks and balanced the checkbook and then he would do the rest. Well during that month (2 weeks before and 2 weeks post op), I could not even think straight and screwed up writing the checks and even balancing the check book. I was so weak and brain dead. I remember my husband getting really frustrated with me because he really didn't get it.

Then, I popped off and told him if he didn't shut up his griping I was going to take food away from him for a month and he could see how his brain functioned. LOL

Well, twice now he has tried using a Bariatric liquid diet to get started losing weight and both times he could not make it through day 1. ;)

Now, I think he gets it.

In terms of things to do to keep your mind off of it. Take one hour at a time, stay focused on all the reasons you are doing this in the first place. Then, be good to yourself. I used my bathtub, a good book and my headphones with some relaxing music almost everyday.

Then when I thought I could not do it for one more minute I went to bed and slept. When I would wake up, I would take a whole new look at on and refocus on my goals.

I was proud of myself that I never cheated, not even once. I lost 14lbs in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Of course I gained it all back in the hospital but that was just Water weight from all the IV fluids they pump into you. That goes away after a week or two and then the weight starts coming off consistently,.

You will do great! Just keep your eye on that prize. 7lbs is not a lot given the clear liquid diet they have you on. You should see that easily.

@@Djmohr Thanks for your thoughtful encouragement. It's really good to hear from someone who has been through it all. I think you replied to another of my posts and for some reason it seems to have dissipated off my feed so I never responded, but thank you for your encouragement there too!

I think you're right that people who have not tried the liquid diet can't really understand how it feels. My dad offered me brussel sprouts as a joke tonight, because he was sure I would say "oh yuck"! I told him that I would chew on the carpet right now if it meant not feeling hungry, lol!

@@AMS3188

LOL, not to make you feel worse but that chewing thing really became a problem for me after. I was on Clear Liquids for 1 week followed by full liquids for 1 week followed by the pureed diet for 2 full weeks before I was finally allowed a soft diet where I could begin to chew things like juicy thin sliced chicken or fish.

I remember telling my husband that I could chew the carpet! Those exact words. You just want something to chew!

For me, I thought the pureed diet would at least bring me some release because I could puree meats. Well, pureeing meats did not go well for me. They gagged me. LOL and I am alergic to Beans and legumes.

So it was back to yogurt, cottage cheese, sf pudding, creamed Soups. I will say that I was also craving carrots during the pureed stage and that is the one thing I ate that was not apart of my diet. I cooked up carrots until they were mushy enough, added a bit of salt and pepper. It was the best damn thing I ate for a month.

I don't know why I craved them, prior to surgery I really never ate cooked carrots unless it was in pot roast or corned beef dinner. But now, I love them and could eat them every single day. I often wonder if it my body just craving the certain nutrients that are in carrots.

Anyway, the chewing thing. I still find myself wanting crunchy foods so I use fresh vegetables and fruits to help me with that. It helps with that feeling.

@@Djmohr Haha, well, at least I know what I'm in for, I guess. Maybe I can chew on some ice?

At least I'll get to have a Protein Shake in the not so distant future. After almost six days with pretty much no food, I'm even excited for that lol. I leave for my surgery in about 6 hours, and I'm really starting to get nervous, but I'm kind of amazed I have done so well sticking to the preop diet. I guess I'm stronger than I think.

@@AMS3188

Wishing you a safe surgery and speedy recovery!

P.s. It is likely you won't want anything even a Protein shake. LOL. But ice chips! Oh yeah, especially right when you wake up.

Good luck today!