Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What specifically is scared get you

The girl who regrets it is one out of all the experienced sleeves here, she had some complications and therefore has not seen the positive side of her surgery yet. You have to remember that with all surgeries their are risks of complications, but those complications rarely happen. Furthermore the dehydration thing is up to you and how much you force yourself to sip all day long, if u do that you won't get dehydrated. And I wouldn't even worry about the complications, it's more dangerous to drive your car then it is to have this surgery

I know roughly 6 people who have been through this. All of them are happy and eating just fine, I hardly notice their eating habits at get togethers. They might eat slower, but I'd never notice it if I didn't know about their surgery. They fit right in with everybody else.

Try to think about the success rate! Be positive.

I did get one tip from a friend who had a gastric bypass. She said the ones who have all the troubles tend to be the ones who don't follow the doctors orders precisely. She says do everything as instructed. I fully intend too!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Well you have to find out why! There is always a reason behind the complications. Did the person not get up and walk? Did the infection come from dirty house, dirty careless care, or from touching stuff at the hospital? Mood swings from her attitude in the first place? Many many possibilities but if it's a greater chance to die getting a gallbladder out, you should be fine. Just do things by the book if your worried :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was on the other website, the post op, where people were describing their experiences after surgery. Now I am thinking twice.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

Those that have complications tend to be more vocal than those who haven't. Yes - this is going to be a difficult journey - but at my weight - I deal with obesity complications every day. I'm willing to take the bad along with the good if the eventual outcome is a healthier me! Part of my therapy was to write a list of answers when I would say "why bother?"... That may help you! Why bother having this surgery?? Stay strong!

Edited by KristenLe

Hi Northstar,

I understand your anxiety and fears. I have all of my clearances and one more visit with the nutritionist before I meet with my surgeon and set a date. I'm hoping for September. I think if you spoke with someone a few days after knee surgery or any type of elective surgery, they would say, "Why did I do this to myself?" But they know the answer, quality of life.

As I move forward with my decision, I have found it helpful to have a couple of friends--one is a colleague who I see daily (6 months out) and the other is a friend who lives a few states away (almost a year and 100 lbs out) to talk to about surgery and what they experienced--and how they feel now. I plan to follow all directions very strictly. My surgeon has a very low leakage rate, my primary care doctor says I'll be happy that I did, even my cardiologist was encouraging--they are the experts and know that the risks of poor health if I stay overweight is 100% certain.

For every negative post you read I would bet that there are at least 20 positive posts. I understand why your nervous, I am too. Hang in there!

I was on the other website, the post op, where people were describing their experiences after surgery. Now I am thinking twice.

Being scared is normal......and I suggest not torturing yourself by reading all the horror stories.....yes there are risks but the risks that come along with remaining obese are much worse!!

Now I'll give you a positive story....My surgery was 5/16/16, that was on a Monday, the following Monday I was back at work. I never took any pain medication once I was released from the hospital. The first 4 or 5 days it was difficult to drink enough but everyday got better....you just have to keep sipping.....I feel completely normal now the only difference is I eat a lot less.......and I'm a lot smaller!!

This surgery is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself!!! I am already half way to my goal! I've lost 56 pounds and have 56 more to go....Pictures say more than words...

This is my before photo at 252 pounds

20697_10201556754278635_2860582062729107324_n.jpg

And this one was taken today at 196 pounds

IMG 7400 edited 1

OMGosh, please don't let the few bad experiences hold you back! Most of us have had great stories. Only problem I had was taking out the drain, which some don't even have a drain. Yes it hurt, dr said must've wrapped around something because I was the exception.

I'm totally Happy with my results even if I can't loos this extra 10 pounds

I love that I can fit a size 8-10 in jeans, my body looks so much better and my pains have eased up to a degree.

Love that I get satisfied with a small chicken breast and some veggies. I can't eat a full 6 ounce steak from Texas Roadhouse I do get non topping sweet potato and broccoli. Those I take home at least 3/4th of it for other meals. The steak I cut up for my 2 dogs and they love me!

Please think about it more and be open minded to what your reading but know a lot of us have had Great Success!

Good Luck

Well you have to find out why! There is always a reason behind the complications. Did the person not get up and walk? Did the infection come from dirty house, dirty careless care, or from touching stuff at the hospital? Mood swings from her attitude in the first place? Many many possibilities but if it's a greater chance to die getting a gallbladder out, you should be fine. Just do things by the book if your worried :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree that frequently complications can be caused by patient non-compliance with instructions.

However, just wanted to make the point that the mood swings thing seems to be because of the hormones flushing out (fat cells store estrogen and other hormones) causing a PMS-type situation for a while post-op. This will not be because someone didn't follow instructions or has a poor attitude. And some people will have very mild or no symptoms, others may be very sensitive to the hormones and have a rough time with it. I personally like being aware it can happen, so if it does I can recognize it and hopefully do things to make it better as opposed to having it hit me unawares.

Horrible mood swings, not healing right, infections, not able to get Water in, dehydrated, and when she said, she regreted it, if she could go back, she would have never had it done it.

One thing to remember is that people talk a lot more about their bad experiences than good ones. The people who have problems are more likely to be looking for support online than those who haven't. It gives a skewed perspective of the actual rates of complications.

Try to look at what you are reading as informative... most of these things can be avoided if you're prepared.

Being scared is normal......and I suggest not torturing yourself by reading all the horror stories.....yes there are risks but the risks that come along with remaining obese are much worse!!

Now I'll give you a positive story....My surgery was 5/16/16, that was on a Monday, the following Monday I was back at work. I never took any pain medication once I was released from the hospital. The first 4 or 5 days it was difficult to drink enough but everyday got better....you just have to keep sipping.....I feel completely normal now the only difference is I eat a lot less.......and I'm a lot smaller!!

This surgery is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself!!! I am already half way to my goal! I've lost 56 pounds and have 56 more to go....Pictures say more than words...

This is my before photo at 252 pounds

And this one was taken today at 196 pounds

You look great!

It is normal to be scared. I know I was, and primarily because I'd never had surgery or been in the hospital. I did have all of the traditional weight-related conditions, though.

My surgery went well but I didn't follow instructions immediately upon coming home and ended up with internal bleeding and required a second surgery.

However, 2.5 years out, 160+ pounds down and at goal since 9 months out, I would choose to do this again without hesitation.

Follow your doctor's instructions carefully and don't worry.